Canton Vento vs Chrono SL (models with ceramic tweeters)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Gawd...

Should I cancel my Sierra Ribbon towers?!
The Ref towers are a lot more than the Ref 9.2 books. I can’t remember but didn’t you prefer towers to books? Or was that William? :)

I think @KEW said he rotates his BMRs and Ventos and Focal Be bookshelves with his subs. He likes things about each type of tweeter. :)

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Okay, while we're all ruminating about missed deals, I kinda wish I had jumped on those Vento 896.2 DC in Cherry Gloss when they were at $1149 a few months ago!:oops:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Ref towers are a lot more than the Ref 9.2 books. I can’t remember but didn’t you prefer towers to books? Or was that William? :)

I think @KEW said he rotates his BMRs and Ventos and Focal Be bookshelves with his subs. He likes things about each type of tweeter. :)
I have definitely developed an affinity for towers, tho I still believe the right bookshelf and sub combo can be just as good. I'm not serious about cancelling my order tho (sorta o_O). My only reservation going with Ascend was the lack of choices for finishes. At the end of the day how they sound matters most to me. I sure do love the way those Cantons look tho!

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
I have definitely developed an affinity for towers, tho I still believe the right bookshelf and sub combo can be just as good. I'm not serious about cancelling my order tho (sorta o_O). My only reservation going with Ascend was the lack of choices for finishes. At the end of the day how they sound matters most to me. I sure do love the way those Cantons look tho!
The cabinet shape and finish on the cantons is very nice if you want piano white/black or cherry. That said I do love me some natural bamboo, that’s what I’d go with if it were me ordering a pair of speakers from Ascend. Should I ever go the custom route I know Salk can also cover any veneers and dyes I could likely ever imagine.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Okay, while we're all ruminating about missed deals, I kinda wish I had jumped on those Vento 896.2 DC in Cherry Gloss when they were at $1149 a few months ago!:oops:
Ya that “each price” on towers always looks good, but when you add to cart, it’s double. I had almost bought the 890.2 in 2017 in white at just a bit over 1k each but couldn’t do it. LOL :)

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Ya that “each price” on towers always looks good, but when you add to cart, it’s double. I had almost bought the 890.2 in 2017 in white at just a bit over 1k each but couldn’t do it. LOL :)
Oh, I knew it was per speaker, but that was still a great price!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I have a really tough time making recommendations at the level of the BMR, Vento, and Focal Be.
Any of these three will turn the head of someone used to good, but not great speakers.
The Vento is an easy call, IMHO, if you are looking for a high quality speaker on a budget.
That does not mean that if you are looking for a high quality speaker and willing to spend more you should get something else. The difference is you have more options, so it makes sense (if you have the opportunity) to listen to speakers like this and see what best "floats your boat"!

For me, on the forum, the Cantons are a sweet spot that I can recommend without hesitation to anyone who is looking for advise on a speaker to get with a budget that matches the Vento offerings.

For someone like @Pogre , the Ultra's are pretty fine speakers and if looking to switch, the competition between Focal, Ascend, BMR, Vento, etc. becomes much more one of personal preference, because he already has a very good speaker that he is used to!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, it is a frustration that Accessories4Less pricing is inconsistent in this way.
I think it ultimately comes down to packaging. Does the manufacturer put one or two in a box?
If you are buying Canton bookshelf, they all seem to be "price/pr" while Canton towers are "price/ea". A4L forces you to buy a pair because they buy them in pairs and don't want to be stuck with the odd lone tower after all of the others are sold.
Where I find it annoying is that Focal pricing is "price/ea" even for bookshelf speakers. Thus if you are looking at the page in the link below, Canton pricing is per pr. and Focal pricing is per each!
So you might think that you can get Focal Kanta for about the same price as Canton Vento Reference, but no! They are about twice the price!

To A4L's credit, it seems that they are showing a single speaker in the Focal images and a pair in the Canton images and they always make it clear in the description (it is surprising how often this is not made clear on other sites).

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Which Focal speakers have the Be?
The Kanta and Electra series have it. There may be others as well, I don't follow the Focal line-up that closely.
My Focals are from the pro-audio side (which I believe is a less expensive means to get equivalent quality - if you are not coveting a specific amp)! I have the Twin6Be.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
DOH! I need to compare the two. I just got the 830.2 fairly recently when it was at a pretty low price (maybe $700?).
I had compared the 536.2 vs the 820.2, but that was not ideal because the 536.2 had the larger woofer!
I did not think to do the comparison when I got the 830.2!
I hope to get to this this weekend, but no promises with the "shelter at home". It depends on when my daughter is going to be out!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The Kanta and Electra series have it. There may be others as well, I don't follow the Focal line-up that closely.
My Focals are from the pro-audio side (which I believe is a less expensive means to get equivalent quality - if you are not coveting a specific amp)! I have the Twin6Be.
So the Kanta is $10,000 a pair and the Electra is out-of-stock everywhere. If you could find it maybe $7,000 a pair? That leaves the BMR for $2599 from Salk OR if you build it speakers and electronics are $1500 with upgraded crossover parts and cabinets are $600+ if you want them put together or $300ish if you build them from flatpack, plus paint/stain and connector/parts. You could easily put $2100 in a self built pair of BMR plus a weeks work by my calculation.

This makes the CANTON Vento Reference 9.2 DC 7" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker at $1499 with a similar high quality tweeter look attractive. :cool:

How would you compare the sound of the BMR and the Vento Reference 9.2? Thanks!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So the Kanta is $10,000 a pair and the Electra is out-of-stock everywhere. If you could find it maybe $7,000 a pair?
Electra 1008 Be for $3000/pr!

How would you compare the sound of the BMR and the Vento Reference 9.2? Thanks!
I have not heard the Vento Reference 9.2 (would love to).
My preference is for the BMR over the Vento, but not by so much that it would surprise me if (when there are subs in play) someone said they liked the Vento better! (it would surprise me if someone liked the Canton Chrono w/aluminum tweeter better than the Vento, for example).
At $600/pr, the Ventos are definitely the bargain value of this pack.
If the 9.2 brings much improvement to the table, they stand a chance at being my subjective preference over the BMR. Canton seems like a company that is consistent and would, indeed have real improvements in their more expensive speakers. However, without hearing them, that is speculation!
I should be more careful about making it clear, but I always assume bass is covered by a sub or two on all counts (because that is my situation).
Much of the cost of the BMR goes to providing the bass of a tower in a large BS speaker. If you are not using a sub, the bass of the BMR easily takes the prize over the Vento , so establishing what is arguably a full range response for music is how the BMR's added cost is justified!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
If you are not using a sub, the bass of the BMR easily takes the prize over the Vento , so establishing what is arguably a full range response for music is how the BMR's added cost is justified!
The CANTON Vento Reference 9.2 is rated 25Hz to 40,000Hz. I have a dual 15" VMPS sub so low end's not a major concern, should the Ref 9.2 reported low end response be an exaggeration. Most bookshelves don't dare quote a 25Hz bottom.

I'm looking for a new smooth and silky tweeter that adds new life to my listening. I think I'll order the Reference 9.2 and see how it goes. It's time to try something new. :)

If this doesn't do it my next temptation is a pair of MartinLogan ESL X speakers. Thank you!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My Vento 876 is rated down to 23Hz. I have not measured it, but I'm not feeling it (maybe that is -10dB point or something)
As a couple of reference points - If you assume standard tuning, the bass has lowest/fundamental right around 40Hz, Kick drum is around 50Hz!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
My Vento 876 is rated down to 23Hz. I have not measured it, but I'm not feeling it (maybe that is -10dB point or something)
As a couple of reference points - If you assume standard tuning, the bass has lowest/fundamental right around 40Hz, Kick drum is around 50Hz!
Nah, Canton rating does not include useful details like +- 3dB or +-6dB :) I think I've posted measurements done by German magazines, and it does not have useful output down to 23Hz.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Nah, Canton rating does not include useful details like +- 3dB or +-6dB :) I think I've posted measurements done by German magazines, and it does not have useful output down to 23Hz.
Thanks.
It is respectable bass for 6" drivers, but 23Hz seems a stretch!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis