Canton Vento vs Chrono SL (models with ceramic tweeters)

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Hey Guys-
Quick question, Just got my Canton SL 596.2 towers and center.

Using for both HT and music. What do you guys recommend for surround book shelfs? i really would like to match everything with the equivalent model of bookshelf surrounds but the sl 536.2 are a little pricey for me right now. Would older models different models match well with my Chronos?

All my speakers are in white. Would like to at least complete the 5.1 set up for now. Currently doing 3.1 with sunfire sub.

I’m using the Chrono 502.2 as surrounds and center with Vento 820.2 for front L,R in my small HT setup and it all matches up well and sounds great to me.
The 502.2 are still under $300 in black at ACC4LESS, your budget should appreciate the 71% off on the 502’s if black ash will work. Could always do a white vinyl wrap on the cheap to match the towers.

Last edited:
Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Latest update, I really want the white 820’s back in my BR dresser 2.0 setup. The Focal 906’s I’d moved there temporarily just didn’t work nearly as well in the space as the 820’s. So towards that end I have a pair of black 826’s coming for the front L/R speakers in the LR 5.1 HT setup freeing up the 820’s again.
Win, win as I see it as the room is now another pretty nice spot for listening to 2 channel or multi channel music in the cozy second floor living room.
The Focal stand mounts went to my third story loft, and currently paired with an older Onkyo AVR I had up there running an earlier 5.1 system.
I pulled out the old TV, center channel speaker and surrounds, so now I’ll likely just add a sub and call that spot good as I don’t really need another TV up there.

And since I was being constructive and had a day off I went and picked up my 876 towers from FedEx freight as they’d been sitting there stagnating in the warehouse for the last few days.
I now have the 876’s set up and ready to go, but I’m letting them acclimate to current temps/humidity levels in the house over night before firing them up which is pretty tuff as I really want to hear them.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Latest update, I really want the white 820’s back in my BR dresser 2.0 setup. The Focal 906’s I’d moved there temporarily just didn’t work nearly as well in the space as the 820’s. So towards that end I have a pair of black 826’s coming for the front L/R speakers in the LR 5.1 HT setup freeing up the 820’s again.
Win, win as I see it as the room is now another pretty nice spot for listening to 2 channel or multi channel music in the cozy second floor living room.
The Focal stand mounts went to my third story loft, and currently paired with an older Onkyo AVR I had up there running an earlier 5.1 system.
I pulled out the old TV, center channel speaker and surrounds, so now I’ll likely just add a sub and call that spot good as I don’t really need another TV up there.

And since I was being constructive and had a day off I went and picked up my 876 towers from FedEx freight as they’d been sitting there stagnating in the warehouse for the last few days.
I now have the 876’s set up and ready to go, but I’m letting them acclimate to current temps/humidity levels in the house over night before firing them up which is pretty tuff as I really want to hear them.
I probably should have warned you. LOL :). Within a couple weeks after I moved my 820.2 pair from the bedroom to the den, I was shopping again on A4L and found the 836 pair for the den so I could return the 820.2 pair to the bedroom setup. :)

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
I probably should have warned you. LOL :). Within a couple weeks after I moved my 820.2 pair from the bedroom to the den, I was shopping again on A4L and found the 836 pair for the den so I could return the 820.2 pair to the bedroom setup. :)
Haha yea, I really love those 820.2’s paired with my PM7005 for 2.0 music and while the temporary move to the living room was indeed a useful test run in my small HT setup, I do want the 820’s back on the bedroom dresser likidy split as they’ve been missed there for sure.
I expect the black 826’s will be an as good or better speaker for completing that small HT setup and I’m sure I will even end up listening to more music based content in that space as well.

The 876 towers are up and running now as well and so far I’m hearing what I was expecting from them so happy with that choice as well.
More to come with those as I get more time on them.

Thanks,
GB

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
My 876’s have been in play for a little while now and I’m happy to report that they really are a great fit in this space and the Canton sound is definitely to my taste. I’m absolutely enjoying every bit of my listening time with these speakers and feel the upgradeitis has pretty much worn off, at least as far as need and musical satisfaction are concerned.
The added low end extension I’m now enjoying is just what I was looking for from these little towers and I no longer find myself contemplating a sub like I had when running the last few stand mounts in this spot.

The small HT setup is also providing a much more immersive experience having gone from 3.1 with mis matched speakers to 5.1 with the much nicer Cantons speakers across the front and rear.
The two channel as well as new multi channel music listening is also much improved now and it has been interesting delving into the different sound programs the AVR offers though the number of menu choices and sub menu’s can quickly become a labyrinth when one is used to far more straight forward 2 channel equipment.

Thanks again for all the questions, answers and guidance that was offered and found in this thread.

cheers,
GB

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
So like many of you, home with time on my hands, I’ve been hard at work organizing, rearranging furniture, moving speakers and related electronics around to keep myself busy.

I cleared out a bunch of furniture in my listening room and changed the MLP to lengthwise on the long walls instead of across the shorter 12’ wall.
This will be much better for listening in the long run but I’ll need some larger speakers like the Canton 896’s, Salk Song3 BeAT, or Focal Kanta’s eventually.
A sub with my stand mounts will suffice for the time being as I moved my 876’s into my living room HT setup.
So now that setup is all Vento across the front with an 826 as center and 876 towers L&R. The 502.2 are still working great in the rear surround position.

Some pics of different configurations I’d had setup since quarantine,

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That’s a cool looking dresser! Oh yeah and cool carpet too. Looks great enjoy!

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
That’s a cool looking dresser! Oh yeah and cool carpet too. Looks great enjoy!
Thanks, have two of the dressers, the draws are painted differently on each but both are doing double duty as equipment stands.

The bound rug was my grandmother’s and is definitely needed to help with the reflections as this room was an art studio with a painted luan floor for easy cleanups. The post and beam construction and uneven walls/ceilings seem to help acoustics a bit.

I’ve also done some more editing with the furniture in the room, really trying to simplify things while I wait on the new subwoofer.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
^^Color coordinated to the max. Enjoy looks great. John you seeing this? :)

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Sounds really nice as well. The 9.2’s sound as good as I thought they would and as I now have a pretty good bit of experience with the brand at this point, I wasn’t really expecting anything other than that conclusion.
The thing that really blew me away was the two HSU subwoofers.
And that is likely because I have very little experience with quality subs so this addition has been a real eye opener for me.
In the past I’ve tried integrating low end subs and have always just gone back to a 2.0 setup shortly after. These are not those subs at all. I have the subs set pretty low and definitely not bass forward. I even found myself checking to see if they were playing on some tracks as it just blended so well. Then a bass laden track would come on and it would have such an incredible sound to it that I was just blown away.
For now I’m very happy with everything as it sits and will continue to tweak as I go.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Where is the setup in the basement or attic?
This room is on the second story of a three story post and beam home.
The room was 12’x28’ but walled off for a walk in closet and knee wall at the front you see pictured where art studio shelving once sat.
The room is now functionally 12’x20’ plus the 4’x12’ walk in closet.
It has a sloped cathedral ceiling to 16’ in the front half and then an 8’ ceiling jutting out from back wall creating a loft. One open space as far as the speakers are concerned I’m sure.

Edit: I tried to add pictures but seems I’ve reached my pic limit for the month via Tapatalk

Updated my account so here are those pics of the back end of the room and sleeping loft.
My main seating position is currently a hanging sky chair “removed for picture” or I just pull the futon couch forward a few feet.

Last edited:
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Looking for a better speaker than the Cantons leads us to the DIY Philharmonic Audio BMR's sold by meniscus audio. Here is the kit of components:
I think there is a flat-pack available for the cabinet. I don't remember the total price, I'm thinking it was in teh $1300-$1400/pr range.
Does this kit include components for a pair of Philharmonic Audio BMR's speakers or just one? Do you have the link for the flat pack speaker cabinet? Thanks!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Does this kit include components for a pair of Philharmonic Audio BMR's speakers or just one? Do you have the link for the flat pack speaker cabinet? Thanks!
The Meniscus Audio kit is for one pair!
To keep you on your toes, the flat packs are sold individually:

If you are placing an order and are uncertain about the options, this thread is useful and not too long:

And the Audioholics review (with measurements), in case you haven't seen it:

From the conclusion:
They are one of, if not the most linear speakers I have yet measured.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So, is there anyone out there that has either the Canton Vento 836.2 or Vento 826.2 bookshelf speakers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis