Canton Vento Reference 3 DC

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I wonder at times if I should of gotten the a45 over the vento 896. I just liked the 866.2 center so much over the 50.2 and others.

probably a minority but I like the look of the standard straight edged cabinet over the curved vento.

why did you put your x13 backwards like that? Did it change room response?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Ease of access only. It’s a dedicated music room. Not to worried about hiding it. I like it this way. Fast adjustments if needed.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I get it completely, what focal compare to them

I did demos of a bunch from aria 936, 948 and kanta 2. I liked them a lot too but I’m movies first and it was hard to beat 866.2.

I really liked the monitor audio silver 500 and c350 for my bedroom setup but passed on them to get my chrono 518 with 515 setup. Kinda wish I did ma silver setup in white. I love the chrono though and have been pleasantly surprised by their performance.

Another great performer I’ve been trying out on demo is the kef r11 in cherry and copper finish. So far they’re holding their own.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I own the Aria 926. Perfect size for my 12 X 14 audio only room. In fact!!!!! The Aria put out more bass in this room than the Canton’s. I never use a sub with the Focal. Although I haven’t tried, I like to. These Canton’s haven’t moved in months. I use to rotate my speakers often when I was bored. Prolly why I have so many of them but need to sell off a few. Cantons and Focals will not leave my hands

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Very funny, and I agree that bass on focal is excellent. I’d love some 948 in a 2 channel setup

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
I own the Aria 926. Perfect size for my 12 X 14 audio only room. In fact!!!!! The Aria put out more bass in this room than the Canton’s. I never use a sub with the Focal. Although I haven’t tried, I like to. These Canton’s haven’t moved in months. I use to rotate my speakers often when I was bored. Prolly why I have so many of them but need to sell off a few. Cantons and Focals will not leave my hands
Question. I am building a dedicated listening room / office. Any advise you give me in the building of my room?

Thanks

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
For everyone familiar with Canton, how does this deal look?

Look like a great deal for the price plus free shipping and no taxes I would say go for it. But I am sure some of the others on this forum will offer their opinions as well. I found the pricing for Canton on A4L to be exceptional including places like eBay and other used and new outlets that sell Cantons.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
The Cantons continue to improve, Less grainy highs and the treble is really soothing out. Midrange on both male and female voices is outstanding. The bass was already outstanding. One of the songs I use to hear the quality of the bass is Fourplay's Chant. If the bass is wholly or overwhelming this song will prove a speakers worth. The Cantons pass this test with flying colors.

Toni Braxton's Unbreak My Heart was so good that she we singing right in front of me. The detail and presentation of these speakers are the best I have heard. All this on my cheap rig. One of the things that continues to surprise me is how different live and studio albums from the same artist and album are. I know live album don't have controlled environments but every time I heard a live album this is either something missing or less detail. Perhaps I have listen to many studio type albums.

Only live jazz album give you a true sense of realism. The Late Night Jazz compilations on Spotify and listening to Miles Davis "Stella by Starlight" was absolutely amazing and as real as it gets.

That is it for now.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Just little update as I continue to use these speakers in my modest system for now. Just based upon my memory the Canton Reference 3 DC I believe are better than my former speakers, Salk HT3. High praise indeed. They just continue to draw you into the music. Last night my wife said that she will miss them when they go into my dedicated listening room when completed. She loves them and their sound.

I also noticed that A4L raised the price by $200 a pair even though I was able to buy mine for $3400 shipped, they are now around $4k shipped, so much for them going down on Black Friday. The Reference 3.2 DC are $6k shipped. I don't see how they could be much better than the Reference 3 DC.

My reference speaker for life. I was very fortunate to be able to buy them when I could.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's great to hear. I love seeing positive impressions with new buyers. Those are very nice speakers.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ya in 2017 and 2018 the Cantons hit their lowest prices at A4L around 2nd or 3rd week of Dec.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Ya in 2017 and 2018 the Cantons hit their lowest prices at A4L around 2nd or 3rd week of Dec.
You might be right, just have to wait and see. I was surprised that they went up the Reference 3 and 3.2 DC both go up $200 a pair this week during Black Friday.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might be right, just have to wait and see. I was surprised that they went up the Reference 3 and 3.2 DC both go up $200 a pair this week during Black Friday.
Maybe they just had enough orders to think hey we could price this a bit higher....

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I saw the last pair of focal 948 are on sale at $3998 a pair and you get a free cc900. Damn that’s crazy!!! Thinking I should get them to compare

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The Cantons continue to improve, Less grainy highs and the treble is really soothing out. Midrange on both male and female voices is outstanding. The bass was already outstanding. One of the songs I use to hear the quality of the bass is Fourplay's Chant. If the bass is wholly or overwhelming this song will prove a speakers worth. The Cantons pass this test with flying colors.

Toni Braxton's Unbreak My Heart was so good that she we singing right in front of me. The detail and presentation of these speakers are the best I have heard. All this on my cheap rig. One of the things that continues to surprise me is how different live and studio albums from the same artist and album are. I know live album don't have controlled environments but every time I heard a live album this is either something missing or less detail. Perhaps I have listen to many studio type albums.

Only live jazz album give you a true sense of realism. The Late Night Jazz compilations on Spotify and listening to Miles Davis "Stella by Starlight" was absolutely amazing and as real as it gets.

That is it for now.
If nobody has heard a Canton boy are you in for a big surprise. The treble and bass quality might be the best I've heard, especially if it was well recorded like Norah Jones or Fiona Apple, Jazz, etc. Happy to see you are enjoying them. Keeping enjoying yourself.

S

Sjtm

Audiophyte
Can anyone compare these to my current speaker, the Focal 1028-BE? I am upgrading a second system and looking at these Cantons as an option. My power source is a Marantz PM-11S3 which puts out 100w/200w at 8ohm/4ohm which drives the Focals nicely in my 14’x17’ room. Is this enough for the Cantons and can anyone compare the SQ?

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Just little update as I continue to use these speakers in my modest system for now. Just based upon my memory the Canton Reference 3 DC I believe are better than my former speakers, Salk HT3. High praise indeed. They just continue to draw you into the music. Last night my wife said that she will miss them when they go into my dedicated listening room when completed. She loves them and their sound.

I also noticed that A4L raised the price by $200 a pair even though I was able to buy mine for $3400 shipped, they are now around $4k shipped, so much for them going down on Black Friday. The Reference 3.2 DC are $6k shipped. I don't see how they could be much better than the Reference 3 DC.

My reference speaker for life. I was very fortunate to be able to buy them when I could.
Dang, I'm just reading your comments here and on agon. You're strongly tempting me to finally replace my Legacy Audio Signature II from the 1990s! I wish I could get the deal you got on the 3.2s. You description sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. The problem with replacing my Signature IIs is that, in order to come close to their low frequency extension, you usually have to pay big bucks. But it sounds like the 3.2s will offer similar extension, but probably with much more bass definition. I just don't know how much better the ceramic tweeter of the 3.2DC might sound to me. Some here say it is a significant difference.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Can anyone compare these to my current speaker, the Focal 1028-BE? I am upgrading a second system and looking at these Cantons as an option. My power source is a Marantz PM-11S3 which puts out 100w/200w at 8ohm/4ohm which drives the Focals nicely in my 14’x17’ room. Is this enough for the Cantons and can anyone compare the SQ?
I know @KEW has Focals with Be tweeters but they are a different model. And he has Canton Ventos.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis