Can't seem to send HDMI signal through receiver from PC (Pioneer VSX-1021-K)

tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Audiophyte
I know the signal works for sure straight to the TV from the desktop so that isn't a problem.
The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1021-K. All the HDMI ports including this one work. So is there something I can check in Windows and the TV when I connect to make that handshake happen properly?
Right now I can only seem to get an extended display but nothing else. The connection also doesn't seem to be sending a full 5.1 signal.

Thanks for any help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I know the signal works for sure straight to the TV from the desktop so that isn't a problem.
The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1021-K. All the HDMI ports including this one work. So is there something I can check in Windows and the TV when I connect to make that handshake happen properly?
Right now I can only seem to get an extended display but nothing else. The connection also doesn't seem to be sending a full 5.1 signal.

Thanks for any help.
I suspect that the HDMI 1.4 version of that receiver is too old, and does not have the required repeater architecture.

This has all occurred to prevent piracy. That is a very early version of HDMI.

tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Audiophyte
I suspect that the HDMI 1.4 version of that receiver is too old, and does not have the required repeater architecture.

This has all occurred to prevent piracy. That is a very early version of HDMI.
But I'm not sending anything more than what 1.4 is. Strange this because a) I've done this with an HDMI splitter from 15 years ago to the same TV and b) it doesn't explain why I'm getting a signal on duplicate display.
So, I guess I'll have to go straight to the TV then with the HDMI from the desktop and send the audio back via ARC or send audio out from the GPU to another input on the receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you checked your pc's audio output settings ? Been a while, but seems I had to do that when I first used a pc to my avr via hdmi.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
But I'm not sending anything more than what 1.4 is. Strange this because a) I've done this with an HDMI splitter from 15 years ago to the same TV and b) it doesn't explain why I'm getting a signal on duplicate display.
So, I guess I'll have to go straight to the TV then with the HDMI from the desktop and send the audio back via ARC or send audio out from the GPU to another input on the receiver.
A TV is an end device, and does not have repeater codes. A computer going to a receiver is a receiving and sending device and repeater architecture is now mandated. In other words the TV needs one handshake and the connection to the receiver receives and sends and so has to have the now required repeater architecture. Not only that, but the regs over time have increased the frequency of the repeat handshakes to insane levels. So the computer connection to the receiver requires repeater handshakes.

I don't think your receiver has ARC. The TV must connect to an HDMI ARC port. So you would have to use optical from the TV to the receiver, which might be your best option.

tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Audiophyte
Have you checked your pc's audio output settings ? Been a while, but seems I had to do that when I first used a pc to my avr via hdmi.
I am looking at the Sound Properties for the PC but I don't see anything out of order other than the fact that when the receiver is on the right input, I see the receiver but it doesn't seem to want to send a 5.1 signal. And I don't know where else to check or set that output. My Realtek program that usually handles the MSI audio on my desktop doesn't even acknowledge the existence of the audio. Ok...wait, as I was literally typing this I heard what came out of my mouth. The motherboard can't see the output if it's the GPU that has the HDMI sending out the audio. Ok... so I need to figure out how to control the audio settings on the GPU (GeForce GTX 1660 Super).

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I'm with @lovinthehd on this one. I too suspect you don't have the Audio Setting correct on the PC. I do the same sort of setup on my Man Cave / Junk Room setup with my Main PC. It's running Windows 11 Pro but before I built my new PC I had it running on the old Windows 10 Box.

I have a GeForce GTX 1080 GPU, and run it into Dual Monitors and an old Denon AVR-S900W. (Yes => All at the same time!) But you don't do anything about the settings on the GPU. What Operating System do you run?

How to change sound output Windows 10 (HDMI, headphones, optical out)

We just went through this with another member My PC won'[t recognize my Yamaha TSR-7850, help! but it seems his used receiver was faulty. If you read my comments, I even took my Windows 10 MSI Laptop and set it up using Windows 10, and took screen shots to show the steps.

Here's the HDMI Features added to standards over time, and ARC is in 1.4. See photo below.

HDMI Features added to standards over time.png

But you will be better off going through the receiver via HDMI as you can play Tunes, without having the TV on.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Audiophyte
I'm with @lovinthehd on this one. I too suspect you don't have the Audio Setting correct on the PC. I do the same sort of setup on my Man Cave / Junk Room setup with my Main PC. It's running Windows 11 Pro but before I built my new PC I had it running on the old Windows 10 Box.

I have a GeForce GTX 1080 GPU, and run it into Dual Monitors and an old Denon AVR-S900W. (Yes => All at the same time!) But you don't do anything about the settings on the GPU. What Operating System do you run?

How to change sound output Windows 10 (HDMI, headphones, optical out)

We just went through this with another member My PC won'[t recognize my Yamaha TSR-7850, help! but it seems his used receiver was faulty. If you read my comments, I even took my Windows 10 MSI Laptop and set it up using Windows 10, and took screen shots to show the steps.

Here's the HDMI Features added to standards over time, and ARC is in 1.4. See photo below.

View attachment 68863

But you will be better off going through the receiver via HDMI as you can play Tunes, without having the TV on.

I hope this is helpful.
That's all very helpful. Thank you! You know now that I finally realised (stupidly) that it was the GPU controlling the HDMI audio and video, I now see the controls for the display of the receiver and of the desktop monitor and nvidia controls fully acknowledge the name of the receiver. But I can't do "Second Screen Only". Extend, Duplicate, PC Screen Only, all fine. But the TV gets nothing and the PC monitor goes black when I go Second Screen Only. Any ideas?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Glad you are making progress, but it's the Operating System (Windows 11?) controlling the Audio output even though it will come from the HDMI cable connected to the GPU.

Just a hint, when one of the members who are trying to help asks you questions, please answer them or they may just drop the thread and move on. With complex issues, the correct data is needed for remote diagnostics to develop an action plan to correct the issue. :rolleyes:

tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Audiophyte
Just a hint, when one of the members who are trying to help asks you questions, please answer them or they may just drop the thread and move on.
I don't know specifically what question this would be referring to but suffice it to say that if I have missed someone's question while in the midst of living life, having other things going on, some of them rather challenging if I'm being honest, it's not out of rudely ignoring people's help. It's out of the simple fact of being human and having missed it. If it's you yourself who asked a question and not "one of the members" as I can't find anyone else who asked a question I didn't reply to, then perhaps asking it again directly asking would be more useful and less conflictive than pointing out my lack of answering a question with the passive aggressive "rolling of eyes" emoji and the unnecessary explanation of how data is useful for helping someone correct an issue.

Thank you for your help thus far. No need to keep replying if my way of responding is provoking such disapproval.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I don't know specifically what question this would be referring to but suffice it to say that if I have missed someone's question while in the midst of living life, having other things going on, some of them rather challenging if I'm being honest, it's not out of rudely ignoring people's help. It's out of the simple fact of being human and having missed it. If it's you yourself who asked a question and not "one of the members" as I can't find anyone else who asked a question I didn't reply to, then perhaps asking it again directly asking would be more useful and less conflictive than pointing out my lack of answering a question with the passive aggressive "rolling of eyes" emoji and the unnecessary explanation of how data is useful for helping someone correct an issue.

Thank you for your help thus far. No need to keep replying if my way of responding is provoking such disapproval.
I've mentioned it twice in successive posts:

What Operating System do you run?

"but it's the Operating System (Windows 11?) controlling the Audio output"

The installed operating system can drastically affect the reply / assistance given, and help those who assist in focusing on an appropriate reply.

If accurate and detailed information is provided in a timely manner, the quality of the responses will also be better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis