Can't get sound from TV to Home Theater

I

irishdroog

Audiophyte
Hi,

Okay, I just bought the Samsung HT-P38. I am trying to hook up my TV straight to the receiver because we don't have a cable box (cable goes straight into back of TV set).

The Samsung requires me to use the AUDIO OUT on my TV set to connect to the AUDIO IN on the DVD/Receiver. Now, there are two RCA lines, but there is also an AUDIO IN that can be RCA, S-Video or Component. So, I'm using the RCA cord.

I then connected my Playstation to one of the two (2) RCA lines on the Samsung. That works fine, got picture and sound (Good sound by the way!)

I bought a two-prong audio cable because the VIDEO OUT on my TV set is already being used. I tried to hook up the two-prong audio cable from my TV to my Samsung Home Theater. NOTHING!!!

I didn't hear anything.

Do I need to buy a three-prong audio/video cable, hook up all three to the Samsung and just leave the yellow audio dangling from the TV set.

I also bought a component video cord, thinking it would replace the RCA cord I was using but when I unpluged the regular RCA from my VIDEO OUT, I lost the picture from Playstation.

Any suggestions?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You are confusing audio and video, so let me help set you straight. :)

The audio OUT from the tv will be two jacks, color coded white (left channel) and red (right channel). You want an analog cable with red and white RCA plugs to connect from the audio out on the tv to the receiver. When you want to view cable, you select the 'tv'/'cable'/'antenna' input (whatever it is labeled on the tv) and select the input on the receiver to which the cable is connected. You don't need a video connection because the tv already has the video from the cable coming from the wall. [Note that on many TVs, the audio outs will not be active if you have the tv internal speakers turned on - turn them off].

If you are connecting the Playstation directly to the tv, you will need a cable with the same two analog audio RCA connectors and one cable with either s-video or composite video (yellow) and you connect all three from the Playstion to the IN of the tv. If the tv speakers are on, you will get sound and video when you switch the tv input to 'video 1' (or whatever the jacks you connect to are labeled). If the internal speakers are off, the audio will be sent out the audio out connection you made for the cable case and be sent to the receiver.

I

irishdroog

Audiophyte
Okay, I'm half way caught up to you

So, are you saying that the Playstation should be hooked straight to the TV and the TV should then be hooked straight to the home theater?

Couldn't I hook both the Playstation and TV to the home theater? Or would that cause a problem somewhere?

What happens if I can't find/get internal speakers to turn off? Is there another way around this problem?

P.S. Thanks for all your help already!!!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
irishdroog said:
So, are you saying that the Playstation should be hooked straight to the TV and the TV should then be hooked straight to the home theater?

Couldn't I hook both the Playstation and TV to the home theater? Or would that cause a problem somewhere?
That's one way to do it, but rather than me going through all the combinations and possibly confusing things for you, how about you tell me your goal. Do you want to use the receiver and speakers connected to the receiver for all sound from cable and the playstation? Or do you want to also retain the ability to use the tv speakers?

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
irishdroog said:

.....Irishdog, a JVC S-VHS VCR makes a great switching center for the whole shooting match including a Games Box....if there's a better way to get better audio "losing" my VCR as a switching center, somebody please inform me, I'm serious, I'd try it.....

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
mulester7 said:
.....Irishdog, a JVC S-VHS VCR makes a great switching center for the whole shooting match including a Games Box....if there's a better way to get better audio "losing" my VCR as a switching center, somebody please inform me, I'm serious, I'd try it.....
Radio Shack has 4 port switches w/S-video and composite for about $25. I use one to connect my Dreamcast, PS2, and Gamecube.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
irishdroog said:

What happens if I can't find/get internal speakers to turn off? Is there another way around this problem?

P.S. Thanks for all your help already!!!
Irishdroog, it depends on how many inputs you have on your receiver.

Assuming you have more than one audio input on the receiver:
1. Connect the red and white audio cables from the playstation to an input on the receiver (lets call it audio1)
2. Connect the yellow video plug from the playstation to a video input on the TV (video1)
3. Connect the audio OUT on the TV to an input on the receiver (audio2) with red and white RCA cables.
To play playstation, turn the receiver onto audio1 and the tv to video1.
To watch TV, turn the receiver to audio2 and tv to normal video (hit tv/video until you get your cable picture back).

If you only have one audio/video input on the receiver:
1. Connect the red, white, AND yellow cables from the Playstation to the TV (video1).
2. Connect the audio OUT on the TV to the input on the receiver (audio1).

To watch tv, turn the receiver to audio1 and the tv to normal video.

Turning off the tv speakers shouldn't matter. You can just turn it all the way down. Some tv's have a "fixed/variable out" under audio options. Fixed out means you're controlling the volume on the receiver and only the receiver. Variable, you can control the volume with the tv remote.

Either way should work.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
abboudc said:
Irishdroog, it depends on how many inputs you have on your receiver.

Assuming you have more than one audio input on the receiver:
1. Connect the red and white audio cables from the playstation to an input on the receiver (lets call it audio1)
2. Connect the yellow video plug from the playstation to a video input on the TV (video1)
3. Connect the audio OUT on the TV to an input on the receiver (audio2) with red and white RCA cables.
To watch TV, turn the receiver to audio2 and tv to normal video (hit tv/video until you get your cable picture back).

If you only have one audio/video input on the receiver:
1. Connect the red, white, AND yellow cables from the Playstation to the TV (video1).
2. Connect the audio OUT on the TV to the input on the receiver (audio1).

To watch tv, turn the receiver to audio1 and the tv to normal video.

Turning off the tv speakers shouldn't matter. You can just turn it all the way down. Some tv's have a "fixed/variable out" under audio options. Fixed out means you're controlling the volume on the receiver and only the receiver. Variable, you can control the volume with the tv remote.

Either way should work.
.....very good, Abbdouc, but if you ain't got one of these new-fangled surround receivers, you switch from an S-VHS VCR, (you can't record with a RatShack 4-pod switching center), and like it, haha....thanks for the advice.....

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
mulester7 said:
.....very good, Abbdouc, but if you ain't got one of these new-fangled surround receivers, you switch from an S-VHS VCR, (you can't record with a RatShack 4-pod switching center), and like it, haha....thanks for the advice.....
Sorry mule, i must have misread your post. I thought you were trying to get rid of the VCR as a switch.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
abboudc said:
Sorry mule, i must have misread your post. I thought you were trying to get rid of the VCR as a switch.
.....noooo, Abboudc, I love the VCR as a switching center for audio.....thanks for the reply......

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis