Can't get Dolby Atmos from Disney Plus, Netflix, Prime Video, etc...

hmd666

hmd666

Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

I don't know if I'm at the right place, so sorry if not.

I bought 3 weeks ago a Yamaha RX-A2A with Dolby Atmos and thought I would get it from my Fire TV Cube and all the apps (Disney Plus, Netflix, Prime Video, etc...), and............. Nothing. The best I can get is Dolby Digital +

My TV is a 1080p (Samsung UN65H8000).

Everything (STB, Fire TV, PS4) is connected directly to my AVR and not the TV.

Is it because it's not a 4K TV ? But why ? We're talking about sound, not picture ?....

Do you have an idea ? What can I do except buying a new TV ?

Thanks for your help and have a nice day.

Olivier

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Do you have an atmos setup?

Check if the apps on the fire cube do support atmos, some do not on some streamers.
Streaming Atmos is dolby digital+ based so can show up as dolby digital+ and not labeled “atmos” especially if you dont have any atmos speakers connected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hmd666

hmd666

Enthusiast
Hello and thanks for your answer.

Actually my AVR is configured as 5.1.2 and the speakers are connected as this.

When I play the diagnostic movie on the Fire TV cube preference, it works perfectly and I can see "Atmos" writen on the front of my receiver. But in the apps, nothing......

So technically, I can play Atmos, but I can't get anything in Atmos.... Or as you think, it's labeled DD+ but it as actual Atmos soundtrack....

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Hell and thanks for your answer.

Actually my AVR is configured as 5.1.2 and the speakers are connected as this.

When I play the diagnostic movie on the Fire TV cube preference, it works perfectly and I can see "Atmos" writen on the front of my receiver. But in the apps, nothing......

So technically, I can play Atmos, but I can't get anything in Atmos.... Or as you think, it's labeled DD+ but it as actual Atmos soundtrack....
Its very possible its what you mentioned that you dont run 4k and a lot of the streamers dont send the atmos stream along lower resolution video. Fire tv cube owners should know, i have no experience with it, hopefully one of them responds so you can find out for sure.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah. Unfortunately you need a 4k tv. Netflix and Vudu do the same thing to me. For some reason having a 1080p display won’t flag the Atmos stream.
However there is a device that you can plug in to trick the streamer into thinking the display is 4K, and will unlock the Atmos stream. Now I just have to remember what it’s called…

hmd666

hmd666

Enthusiast
OK, it's what I was affraid of : need a 4K TV... But not now unfortunately.
Thx Everyone for your help.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
OK, it's what I was affraid of : need a 4K TV... But not now unfortunately.
Thx Everyone for your help.
I’m in the same boat. Again, there is a device that tricks the system into thinking the display is 4K. That will allow Atmos playback. I’m trying to remember what it is……
My poor brain cell.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis