Cannot get sound from sound bar

P

Patterico

Audiophyte
The soundbar is turned on. The lights flash.

The dust caps are off the optical cable and firmly clicked into the sound bar and TV.

The input on the soundbar has been chosen that corresponds to the connector on the back. No matter what input I choose I get no sound.

The soundbar volume isn't muted (I have hit the mute button many times to mute and unmute) and is turned up (I have clicked up button several times).

I have gone into the TV setup menu and disabled the TV speakers. When I try to turn up the TV sound it tells me I am connected to outside speakers, and that I need to adjust the volume with the outside speakers (which, again, I have done).

It is true that on the TV setup menu the optical connection does not show up in the sound menu. I'm not sure if it is supposed to. But I can't even get the speaker to play audio from my phone with bluetooth. The phone recognizes the sound bar, yet no audio comes out. I have tried the RCA cable to connect it to the TV as well, also with no results.

So: nothing from optical cable, nothing from RCA cable, and nothing even from Bluetooth. No sound at all.

I am wondering if this sound bar is just a dud. It was a refurbished Yamaha ATS-1030-R that presumably was tested to make sure it output sound. But I also wonder if I am overlooking something basic.

Help?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I agree. It looks to me like you have done a pretty good job troubleshooting the problem.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The soundbar is turned on. The lights flash.

The dust caps are off the optical cable and firmly clicked into the sound bar and TV.

The input on the soundbar has been chosen that corresponds to the connector on the back. No matter what input I choose I get no sound.

The soundbar volume isn't muted (I have hit the mute button many times to mute and unmute) and is turned up (I have clicked up button several times).

I have gone into the TV setup menu and disabled the TV speakers. When I try to turn up the TV sound it tells me I am connected to outside speakers, and that I need to adjust the volume with the outside speakers (which, again, I have done).

It is true that on the TV setup menu the optical connection does not show up in the sound menu. I'm not sure if it is supposed to. But I can't even get the speaker to play audio from my phone with bluetooth. The phone recognizes the sound bar, yet no audio comes out. I have tried the RCA cable to connect it to the TV as well, also with no results.

So: nothing from optical cable, nothing from RCA cable, and nothing even from Bluetooth. No sound at all.

I am wondering if this sound bar is just a dud. It was a refurbished Yamaha ATS-1030-R that presumably was tested to make sure it output sound. But I also wonder if I am overlooking something basic.

Help?

Sounds like you've done everything you can. Call Yamaha just in case there's something being missed, but prepare to send it back!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It seems to me from recent posts, that soundbars are vying with subs for the most unreliable audio device award.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It seems to me from recent posts, that soundbars are vying with subs for the most unreliable audio device award.
But, but, their MSRP suggests they are an all in one miracle!!!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis