Can you use Surround Speakers for Atmos setup?

T

Treamaya

Audiophyte
The issue:

The side surrounds are getting hit when you walk by them. To resolve this I am going to go to an in wall speaker. Two questions regarding this. Monetarily, I am looking at the Klispch R-2650-W-II due to the limited amount of audio that actually comes from side surrounds. I.E. if I went away from the horns would I even notice? If so, then do I then jump to the R-3800-W II to get the larger woofer, for the added bass (enhancing the non-directional bass effect)?

My second question is in regards to the pair of RP240s I am removing. I plan to get the RX-A2070 soon, adding Atmos to the room. Can I reuse the RP240’s on the front wall as Height/Presence speakers and just put 2 in ceiling speakers behind the front row or should I sell them and install 4 in ceiling speakers? I realize for purity sake, the 4 in ceiling speakers would be better but, $$ are always a factor.

Thank you for your wisdom!

Home Theatre Equipment List:

Current speaker setup is a Dolby 7.1

FLRC – Klipsch RF52-II

Surrounds (Side and Rear) – Klipsch RP240s

Yamaha RX-V667

Harmon Kardon Citation19 (Bi-amped to FRL)

Sunfire SDS10

TEAC TN-300

Future Enhancements:

Future speaker setup is a Dolby 7.2.4

Yamaha RX-A2070 replacing the RX-V667 – retaining the HK19 Bi-amp on the FLR

Rhythmic Audio LVX12

SI Zero Edge 5 AT110 Screen

Home Theater Video Projector - Sony VPLVW285ES 4K HDR or JVC DLA-RS600U Reference Series

HT Room 13.5W x 17.2L with Front wall at 7.5’ H and rising to 10’ H (36” from back wall)

Front seating is at ~11’.5

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely hear ya on the money front. Personally I would sell the 240’s and go in ceiling with all 4 atmos speakers. The 240’s are bipole and due to their design wont lend to atmos as they should.(Dolby specs monopoles too). Also, I’ve heard of people mounting speakers on the front wall up to the ceiling, but A) the speaker design is wrong and B) I think the position is wrong. Obviously the speakers will make sound up there but won’t tie to the others properly. Wouldn’t bother with bi-amping the mains either but since it’s done, it’s done. IMO, good choice to upgrade the sun fire too.

P

pwlong

Audioholic Intern
The side surrounds are getting hit when you walk by them. To resolve this I am going to go to an in wall speaker. Two questions regarding this. Monetarily, I am looking at the Klispch R-2650-W-II due to the limited amount of audio that actually comes from side surrounds. I.E. if I went away from the horns would I even notice?
I had the same issue -- clearance from adjacent doorswing for the side surrounds. So I went with BIC in-walls as a work-around. While they're not Klipschs the BIC FH8Ws sound great as a surround, and work well in my Atmos setup -- at about half the price.

My theater speaker setup journal, in case it's helpful:
http://havingfunalongtheway.com/basement-home-theater-speaker-installation-setup/

T

Treamaya

Audiophyte
Thank you for the replys!

Selling the 240's is probably what I'll do, just a loss of $$ since I won't get what I paid for them. I just wanted to verify before doing so.

Also, why not bi-amp the mains? Isn't the whole purpose to remove the primary burden from the AVR so there is more amplification headroom available for the rest of the system?

I do like the half price on those BIC FH8W ! I might half to buy them from somewhere who has a liberal return policy to audition them. Hmm looks like Walmart sells them... thank you for the suggestion!

P

pwlong

Audioholic Intern
Thank you for the replys! I do like the half price on those BIC FH8W ! I might half to buy them from somewhere who has a liberal return policy to audition them. Hmm looks like Walmart sells them... thank you for the suggestion!
You are most welcome. The BICs work well as surrounds and the price is right ;-) I also use BICs HT8Cs for the ceiling speakers which are also quite reasonable.

Note the FH8W is slightly shallower than the R2650W at 3.5" vs 3.75". Not that it makes a big difference, but it might if they were deeper than the Klipschs :)

Have fun...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you for the replys!

Selling the 240's is probably what I'll do, just a loss of $$ since I won't get what I paid for them. I just wanted to verify before doing so.

Also, why not bi-amp the mains? Isn't the whole purpose to remove the primary burden from the AVR so there is more amplification headroom available for the rest of the system?

I do like the half price on those BIC FH8W ! I might half to buy them from somewhere who has a liberal return policy to audition them. Hmm looks like Walmart sells them... thank you for the suggestion!
IMO, it’s often overstated that you need to unload amplification duties from the avr. Especially in a case like yours where the mains are sensitive and easy to drive. Unless you’re listening at ear bleed levels, the new avr you’re looking at will be good. Some people claim audible benefits but since the speakers XO is still in place, how can there be? Also, many manufacturers include the feature in their speakers to appease some customers. More coffee.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis