Can we have a rational discussion about guns and why the typical arguments for gun control and its implementation won't work?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Of course background checks don't stop everything, but at least they might prevent new purchases. I think the idea is to make things a little bit harder to get ahold of vs slapping your money down and and ID. Or I guess we could eliminate BC's, which doesn't make much sense. There's no mandatory treatment for mental health in a free country. But you can regulate certain types of guns and hopefully save a few lives along the way.
People can be committed voluntarily, or involuntarily. Family members can initiate this, or the police can have someone evaluated and if they're found to be mentally ill, held for treatment. it's not just rounding up random people and hauling them off to the loony bin.

Go ahead and try to buy a gun by walking in, slapping your license down and waltzing out with it. If any part of the transaction on your end is illegal, you can be charged for it. If you buy a gun privately, the seller doesn't even need to see y our license. but if they know or have a reason to believe that you're under 18, they're not supposed to sell the weapon(s). An FFL does need to do the background check, or they'll be relieved of that FFL and charged.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Go ahead and try to buy a gun by walking in, slapping your license down and waltzing out with it. If any part of the transaction on your end is illegal, you can be charged for it.
Exactly, just like Hunter Biden ....... ;)

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
People can be committed voluntarily, or involuntarily. Family members can initiate this, or the police can have someone evaluated and if they're found to be mentally ill, held for treatment. it's not just rounding up random people and hauling them off to the loony bin.

Go ahead and try to buy a gun by walking in, slapping your license down and waltzing out with it. If any part of the transaction on your end is illegal, you can be charged for it. If you buy a gun privately, the seller doesn't even need to see y our license. but if they know or have a reason to believe that you're under 18, they're not supposed to sell the weapon(s). An FFL does need to do the background check, or they'll be relieved of that FFL and charged.
Looks like about half the country requires a background check even for a private firearm transfer. I’m all for Universal background checks but at the same time I believe it is also a state issue.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe a shotgun, but not a rifle, unless they ran the background check and he was already in the system. Another possibility is that the WalMart employee let the guy leave without the background check, which is also a crime.

Being on national news doesn't make it fact, either- how many times was that story repeated and altered before it aired?

Unless you were with them, you don't know what they were using as a target- could have been a stump, dead tree.....if alcohol played any part, well, you know.
"Maybe a rifle, but not a shotgun"

Dumb beyond belief regarding BC's.

You have to remember that this 25-30 years ago when BCs might not have been established. Adding to the wow that's really stupid.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Let's look this shyte up before blathering on about things we don't know.

"The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is a background check system in the United States created by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (Brady Law) of 1993 to prevent firearm sales to people prohibited under the Act."

"Kid of legal age plops down his money and ID."- Here ya go.....looked it up for you. You ought to try searching online- all of the cool kids are doing it.

You're barking up the wrong tree WRT murders and gun sales- they're sold privately far more than through dealers.
Point wasn't is he of age. Point is no BC. Cash. ID. Thanks much. It's like walking out of the grocery store with milk.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Bout all I can say is i sure am glad govt stepped in on FAs. A gun nutters wet dream. Not all gun owners, but there would some trying to justify them. Then they are in circulation. :oops: Nice knowing ya America. :confused:

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

There's no magic mental health radar. Therefore BCs.

highfigh

highfigh

The idiots randomly shooting into the woods for no reason other than hoots. Yep pretty stupid.

20-30 years you can walk into a Walmart and purchase a rifle without a background check. Even back then I thought wow that's pretty stupid. It's like buying milk.

Examples of dumb. Then gun owners wonder why people want to take away their guns??? Jeez I wonder why. Live examples for the media so they can have a field day with the goofy dumbness of it.

I'll never forget the time probably 20+ years ago on national news where guy in the south goes to I believe Walmart shows his ID and walks out with a rifle. That's it.

About 20-30 years ago a group of adults like in their 30's or older, not kids mind you, standing in the field and shooting into the edge of the woods. My memory could be foggy on that, but like no targets being shot at. Shooting in the woods for fun. Like a bunch of back wood idiots. Not doing much for the good parts of gun ownership, or for evolution. Dumb on a level that is difficult to match.:rolleyes:
"I'll never forget the time" and "probably" don't work. You remember it exactly, or you don't.

How many died because they were shooting in the woods? I'm going to guess, ZERO. You weren't there, you don't/can't know if they had targets. Far better than shooting in a populated area, which happens ALL THE GD TIME! I hear gunfire all year long- holidays and special occasions are the worst, but I can tell you one thing- they're not legal gun owners and when I hear such rapid fire from handguns, it's a Glock with a Switch.

Kenneth Twyman posted a video of himself, firing this kind of gun while he was driving, with houses visible in the background. He was later convicted of homicide.

highfigh

highfigh

Bout all I can say is i sure am glad govt stepped in on FAs. A gun nutters wet dream. Not all gun owners, but there would some trying to justify them. Then they are in circulation. :oops: Nice knowing ya America. :confused:
Why are you fixating on legal gun buyers and owners when the vast majority of homicides and shootings are committed by those who don't have the guns legally?

Blame people, not the thing.

highfigh

highfigh

"Maybe a rifle, but not a shotgun"

Dumb beyond belief regarding BC's.

You have to remember that this 25-30 years ago when BCs might not have been established. Adding to the wow that's really stupid.
I posted the info about the Brady Act being enacted in 1993- that's 31 years ago, so "25-30 years ago when BCs might not have been established" isn't true.

How do you know that transaction wasn't staged by the news crew/department?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Why are you fixating on legal gun buyers and owners when the vast majority of homicides and shootings are committed by those who don't have the guns legally?

Blame people, not the thing.
Because FAs under any circumstances is retarded in the civilian world. And only fixating on the mentally ill while not acknowledging FAs with gun owners, in circulation, under any circumstance, leads me to believe your not a sensible voice on guns. I also hope your not on an oversight committee for guns

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I posted the info about the Brady Act being enacted in 1993- that's 31 years ago, so "25-30 years ago when BCs might not have been established" isn't true.

How do you know that transaction wasn't staged by the news crew/department?
A BC for a rifle, but not a shotgun. A BC for a shotgun, but not a rifle. Retarded beyond belief Either a BC for all firearms, or toss the law in the trash. At least it's consistent.

See Tanktops post on the % of BCs today. Therefore I would have to conclude in the 90s in some places you only needed cash and an ID.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
"I'll never forget the time" and "probably" don't work. You remember it exactly, or you don't.

How many died because they were shooting in the woods? I'm going to guess, ZERO. You weren't there, you don't/can't know if they had targets. Far better than shooting in a populated area, which happens ALL THE GD TIME! I hear gunfire all year long- holidays and special occasions are the worst, but I can tell you one thing- they're not legal gun owners and when I hear such rapid fire from handguns, it's a Glock with a Switch.

Kenneth Twyman posted a video of himself, firing this kind of gun while he was driving, with houses visible in the background. He was later convicted of homicide.
Not the point. I'm talking about how dumb it is randomly shooting. They have a right to it. Relax. Not trying to take away your guns. But yeah its idiotic.

highfigh

highfigh

A BC for a rifle, but not a shotgun. A BC for a shotgun, but not a rifle. Retarded beyond belief Either a BC for all firearms, or toss the law in the trash. At least it's consistent.

See Tanktops post on the % of BCs today. Therefore I would have to conclude in the 90s in some places you only needed cash and an ID.
Here it is for the cheap seats NOT AT A GUN STORE if they want to keep their FFL after the BC was enacted! They can also lose their license if they're found to be the source of a large number of firearms used in crimes- I knew one guy who would take money from anyone and MKE had another store where they were similar, but at least that shytehole was all the way across the city from here.

Do you think shotguns are the weapon of choice for homicides? No, and rifles aren't, either. Those are often used when someone wants to make a point or they're in the drug trade. The FBI has statistics on which weapons are used for various crimes.

highfigh

highfigh

Not the point. I'm talking about how dumb it is randomly shooting. They have a right. Relax. Not trying to take away your guns. But yeah its idiotic.
You don't know if they were shooting randomly. If they fired in bursts, that's a legitimate way to practice.

Opinions on how someone shoots in an unpopulated area don't matter, unless they're planning something bad.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Here it is for the cheap seats NOT AT A GUN STORE if they want to keep their FFL after the BC was enacted! They can also lose their license if they're found to be the source of a large number of firearms used in crimes- I knew one guy who would take money from anyone and MKE had another store where they were similar, but at least that shytehole was all the way across the city from here.

Do you think shotguns are the weapon of choice for homicides? No, and rifles aren't, either. Those are often used when someone wants to make a point or they're in the drug trade. The FBI has statistics on which weapons are used for various crimes.
Easy. A BC for handguns,.rifles, and shotguns.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
You don't know if they were shooting randomly. If they fired in bursts, that's a legitimate way to practice.

Opinions on how someone shoots in an unpopulated area don't matter, unless they're planning something bad.
Your debating the details into soup. Shooting randomly into the woods is dumb, and of course guns & alcohol have never merged.

highfigh

highfigh

Because FAs under any circumstances is retarded in the civilian world. And only fixating on the mentally ill while not acknowledging FAs with gun owners, in circulation, under any circumstance, leads me to believe your not a sensible voice on guns. I also hope your not on an oversight committee for guns
FA= Firearms, or are you making up your own acronyms? `

Have you ever spoken with someone who lives in the inner city, about race, crime and guns? You might want to do that- it's a good way to get a different perspective.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis