can the H/K AVR 135 handle this?

G

gleonard

Enthusiast
Hi everyone:

I had posted this in "loudspeakers" with no reply so I e-mailed paradigm re: using a pair of Paradigm SM-60R's as rear surrounds and another as a rear center channel - my issue was that each speaker has two sets of inputs and I didn't know whether to wire in parallel or in series.

The answer was:

Connecting the two pairs of inputs on each SM-60R in parallel is correct but
this configuration does drop the nominal impedance of the speaker to about 4
ohms.

If the receiver is designed to support this type of load (please verify this
with Harmon Kardon) then there shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone know if the H/K AVR 135 can handle this? Still awaiting a response from H/K.

Thanks

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
Gleo,
I have always owned Denon myself but from what I read with the big names like HK and Denon they can handle 4 ohm loads without a problem. Again from what I've read it is an easier load to push it just takes more current and may overwork the cheaper less popular brand recievers. If I'm not mistaken HK is one of those companies who do not exaggerate their power ratings, unlike others.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
I wouldn't worry about it. A 4 ohm load will not be a big deal for any decent quality receiver. The main reason most receivers are rated to handle min 8 or min 6 ohms is to pass the UL tests. You won't have a problem.

G

gleonard

Enthusiast
Excellent

Thanks Crashguy!

I received a response from H/K (actually went onto their instant online help center through their website and had a real time conversation) and they confirm what you say. They weren't aware of these dual input speakers either (they thought I was talking about bipole) so I just sent them the paradigm link and they were able to respond.

So the good news is, that I finally have it all up and running and it works great!

To go from a 28" TV with a DVD player plugged into it to a full surround system - who would have thought!!!!!

The H/K AVR 135 is more than enough to power my Paradigm setup including the SM60-R's connected in parallel for rear center and rear surrounds.

Now I just have to get around to painting the room and putting down some carpet. Funny thing happened as soon as I had the projector up and running - the basement work stopped happening ???? :p

Pics to follow once the front cabinets are built.

Cheers
Gleonard

P

Pablojuan

Audiophyte
I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the HK135?

I need help choosing a receiver please. WHAT IS IT LIKE?

PAUL

G

gleonard

Enthusiast
Avr 135

Hi Paul:

This is my first HT receiver - my other receiver in the house is a Rotel 2 channel. That being said I am thrilled with it. Very nice sound - nice match IMO with the Paradigm speakers.

I had a lot of recommendations for Pioneer and Yamaha, but IMO they just didn't sound as nice for my needs - the Yamaha was a bit "bright" and the Pioneer 1014 model didn't seem worth the extra $$$$ - and since I use the HT reciever for about 50/50 music/DVD I also needed/wanted nice 2 channel sound as well.

I managed to pick up my 135 for $565 CDN and with the 6.1, component switching and on-screen display it seemed to fit my needs. My only comment would be that the manual requires a serious read in order to figure some of the things out.

Cheers
Gleonard

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis