Can someone from Colorado build me a box?

• Thread starter cameron paterson
  • Start date
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I need a big box (10ft3) roughly, built for my home theater. Is there anyone that can do this for me here in Colorado?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Try reaching out to carpentry/cabinet builders. That is assuming you don't have the tools yourself. If you have the ability, you may be able to find a flat pack that you can assemble. (Just need clamps and glue. Lot's of clamps!)

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Thanks but I want an enclosure that is really well braced. I want to go custom with a guy that has experience building them.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You may very well find that with a carpenter/cabinet maker.
Likewise, depending on what you are doing, GSG audio does flat packs for Marty Subs that are well braced and easy to assemble with the right tools. I think Full Martys are about that size, 10cu.ft.
I'm not suggesting you go find somebody unskilled... quite the opposite. You call a cabinet guy and ask if he knows anything about building speaker enclosures.

Do you already have a design for the cabinet? Do you know the Driver you are using?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
TC Sounds LMS-R ultra 5400 18" is the sub in question. T/S parameters here:

I am thinking roughly 8ft3 tuned at 20hz. Right now its in about 6.7ft3 tuned at 21hz. Would I be able to tell the difference between boxes? And which one would perform better? Powering with a Crown XLS 2500

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Serious questions, please:
Are you designing the box?
Do you have tools to assemble if you had a flat pack? (Lots of clamps.)
Are there limiting factors to the dimensions of the box?

If you cannot assemble the cabinet, then the flat pack is a moot topic. However, Marty Subs are designed to be about as generic as possible. They work with a wide variety of Drivers.
They could still be a possibility if you find a guy that will help you assemble them if you can't/don't do so yourself.

Otherwise, you are talking about giving a guy some dimensions and telling him to build you a box?

This is fine, too, but the level of competency on the craftsperson you look for needs to be higher. They need to have an understanding of Speakers, as well as their woodworking skills. ;)

I'm pressing you because so far I've seen you ask about this stuff over several threads, but when asked on the specifics you tend to drop off. If you are going to hire someone, you need to know what you want, unless you plan on just giving them free reign over the project.
I still contend that finding a cabinet shop is your best option, especially if you find a cabinet guy that like Speakers.

:cool:

jinjuku

jinjuku

Also contact a local car audio place and see if they can refer you.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Actually my box is closer to 6.9ft3 tuned at 21hz.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
TC Sounds LMS-R ultra 5400 18" is the sub in question. T/S parameters here:

I am thinking roughly 8ft3 tuned at 20hz. Right now its in about 6.7ft3 tuned at 21hz. Would I be able to tell the difference between boxes? And which one would perform better? Powering with a Crown XLS 2500
Before you go to the expense of building a cabinet for that driver, you really need to measure the T/S parameters of that driver. I went to model that driver for you, to find evidence that the published T/S specs of that driver are highly suspect and that there may be significant variation from unit to unit. There are usually multiple reasons why and outfit goes broke. As a company fails quality control is one of the first things to suffer.

You really do need to measure the T/S parameters before going to expense and trouble of design to build that box. What you are proposing is honestly reckless.

When you can be CERTAIN you have a good design, then you need to do accurate design of each component, with precise dimensions and clearly indicating all dados. After that you find a cabinet shop that has a computer controlled C & C machine, like this.

All good shops have moved to this. It saves time and money for you and the shop.

An experienced individual will enter the dimensions into the computer, and then the materials will be fed to the machine, and you will have your boards, in literally minutes instead of days.

Then either you, or the shop can put the boards together. DO NOT do drawings with butt joint, dado everything.

That way you will get an excellent cabinet with the least fuss.

That is the way it is done now. I will never build a speaker in my own shop again, it is just not worth it.

This approach makes it easier than ever for the home constructor to design his own speakers.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
In the near future I want to have a box built for an SI 24" sub. Would 15ft3 tuned at 20hz be fine? I don't care at all about bass below 20hz. All it does is shake my whole house. You can't even hear it and its hard on your sub. What do you guys think about this box option?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
In the near future I want to have a box built for an SI 24" sub. Would 15ft3 tuned at 20hz be fine? I don't care at all about bass below 20hz. All it does is shake my whole house. You can't even hear it and its hard on your sub. What do you guys think about this box option?
I will tell you what I think. I'm now thoroughly sick and tired of your idiotic nonsense.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'd pester Nick at SI... but according to the site, he seems to have designed that specifically for a 7cu.ft Sealed application.
Frankly, you would far and away be better using 2 of the SQL-15s in a single box, ported or sealed.
That 24" is a beast that will require GOBS of power in any application. It is also best used for infrasonic reproduction, as the folk I've seen play with it are chasing single digit FR.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I was wondering if that big of a sub would be good for anything but single digit FR.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I was wondering if that big of a sub would be good for anything but single digit FR.
I understand some peoples frustration here. Your best bet is to have that internal conversation of what you want at what budget you have, and do a bit due diligence in the research department and then come back and ask your questions.

You'll get more valuable input from seasoned members if you show that you have put some effort into getting up to speed as to not indicate that you may be a possible time suck.

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the link loveinthehd. I understand I don't know much about boxes but I cannot get WinISD to work. Should I try bassbox?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis