Can RG6 be used for audio and video cables?

scramick

Audiophyte
What is the max length RG-6 runs?

Do you think I could run RG6 with RCA ends over 125-150'? I want to connect 3 plasma TV using component video. Also, what would be the best way to run sound? RC left and right?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Scott:)

mlhm5

mlhm5

Audiophyte
Coax Is Better, Well Good Coax is Better

I advise to buy good RG6 coax, Belden 1694A, because it is top quality coax and is pretty cheap compared to expensive non coaxial cables that are nowhere as good as coax.

For the connectors, I recommend Canare CAN-RCAP-C53 . Yeah, I know it is a connector that requires a Canare crimping tool that costs, with die, $150 plus you have to buy a cable cutter for another $50.

If you want the best in interconnects, this is the way to do it. The Canare is as close to a 75 ohm RCA as you can get. This is the same set up that Blue Jeans Cable uses and check out their prices.

They are not very expensive, yet they charge $13.50 for one 3' length of Belden 1694A + two Canare RCAs + shipping.

The crimper is on ebay occasionally for $55 or so without the die.

scramick

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input. I bought a box ofSkywalker (RG-6). It is dual shield. Here is the link.
http://www.a1components.com/stores/itemdisplay.asp?store=6&col=&loc=cable&item=4297
Your thoughts?

I have made several cables with it and it appears to be good. I plan on using this for all of my DirecTV cable runs. Is is worth it to buy the expensive stuff? I am an Electrical Engineer by degree buit don't practice anymore. I do understand Eddy currents and stray capacitance when it comes to cabling. Most of the wires on the market are a joke and way over priced. The one thing that kills me is someone using 8 gauge Monster Wire for a 3' run. Anyone that understand simple resistance know that it is over rated!
Besides looking at marketing of these products, in your opinion should I buy the more expensive coax? Is sounds like I should.
Thanks!
:)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
scramick said:
Thanks for the input. I bought a box ofSkywalker (RG-6). It is dual shield. Here is the link.
http://www.a1components.com/stores/itemdisplay.asp?store=6&col=&loc=cable&item=4297
Your thoughts?

I have made several cables with it and it appears to be good. I plan on using this for all of my DirecTV cable runs. Is is worth it to buy the expensive stuff? I am an Electrical Engineer by degree buit don't practice anymore. I do understand Eddy currents and stray capacitance when it comes to cabling. Most of the wires on the market are a joke and way over priced. The one thing that kills me is someone using 8 gauge Monster Wire for a 3' run. Anyone that understand simple resistance know that it is over rated!
Besides looking at marketing of these products, in your opinion should I buy the more expensive coax? Is sounds like I should.
Thanks!
:)
No need for anything different, or more $$. You got a good buy on this.
Use it for your sub cable as well.

scramick

Audiophyte
Are you being serious?

So you think I should be OK using the cheap COAX? I planned on using for my sub runs as well.
Thanks for all of your help as I have been out of Engineering and audio systems for a while now.
Thanks! :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
scramick said:
So you think I should be OK using the cheap COAX? I planned on using for my sub runs as well.
Thanks for all of your help as I have been out of Engineering and audio systems for a while now.
Thanks! :)

I think you will be fine with that Skywalker coax, yes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis