Can Receivers adjust volume of individual channels?

L

latrosicarius

Audioholic Intern
I have a problem on my TV speakers where the dialog of DVDs is overpowered by the music and background sound effects.

If I get a receiver and hook it up to a 5.1 or 7.1 SS system, will I be able turn up the dialog?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You can't turn up the dialog specifically, but considering that the majority of the dialog comes from the center channel, you can bump up the center channel volume.

The correct way to do things, however, is to calibrate the entire system so that the channel levels are balanced. Then you can adjust the center channel up or down on the fly if you feel the need. When you shut the receiver off, it will revert to your saved settings.

Note that many receivers include dynamic compression, sometimes called 'midnight mode'. It only works on DD tracks but it reduces the peaks, raising the average level, and thus sometimes helping to make dialog more intelligible.

Additionally, speaker placement and room treatments can help alot with dialog intelligibility.

L

latrosicarius

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the reply. I know it probably varies from receiver to receiver, but how do you typically make these adjustments? Is there a on-screen menu that you do navigate with the remote? Ot is there there nobs or sliders that you turn up/down?

And how exactly do you make software updates to the receiver, such as HDMI version 1.2?

Thanks

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Typically there is a button on the remote called 'test'. Pressing that starts the internal test tones. There are other buttons labeled 'ch sel' (channel select) and buttons for level up and level down. Some receivers also have the same buttons on the receiver itself.

The test tones will automatically cycle from channel to channel and you use the level up and down buttons to adjust the level until you get the level you want on a SPL meter. The channel select button can be used to put the tones on any particular channel. You can use a setup disc like DVE or AVIA instead of the internal test tones if you want.

Decoders are stored on a chip and so technically the code is 'firmware', not software. The manufacturer would have to provide firmware updates to be able to change hdmi 1.1 to 1.2. Some receivers include rs-232 ports for the purposes of updating firmware, but few actually provide updates. Some manufacturers do have programs where you can send the whole receiver to them so they can do the updates for you (at a price of course).

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
You get what you pay for, mostly

Yes, a receiver & speakers should make a considerable difference, even a HTIB in the $300-500 range. Add $1000 to that & you can get a nice receiver, 5 speakers & a sub. It can keep getting better as you add $$$, but there are deminishing returns.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Since you are new to HT . . .

You might consider one of the receivers in the $300+ range which include a microphone and auto setup feature. Basically you plug in the mic and place it at your primary listening position, start the autosetup, and in a few minutes you are ready to go. My Yamaha HTR-5860 has these features.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis