Can multiple amps be connected to a set of speakers?

R

roadstarman

Enthusiast
That device will not work for your proposed problem. Electricity is a very dangerous thing when mishandled is your goal to burn down the house? I don't understand why you can drive the speakers with a the amp and use a selector switch between the sources instead of the amps.
If you read my op I have two amp systems and one set of speakers.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you read my op I have two amp systems and one set of speakers.
Yes, but the question is why you insist upon using the two amps.

TLS' complains on this have nothing to do with the complexity and size of his system and more to do with this just being a bad idea. Really if you don't have the means to swing an AVR purchase how are you going to cope with both of your amps going emitting the magic smoke? With the selector there is still a real danger of this happening.

R

roadstarman

Enthusiast
Yes, but the question is why you insist upon using the two amps.

TLS' complains on this have nothing to do with the complexity and size of his system and more to do with this just being a bad idea. Really if you don't have the means to swing an AVR purchase how are you going to cope with both of your amps going emitting the magic smoke? With the selector there is still a real danger of this happening.
One amp (A/V receiver) is for the family......one unit, nice and easy, remote controllable, no amp sequence to power down that they have no interest or intention of learning. The other system is higher end for my music and for movies too if I'm around to power up and down.

And as for the selector; as long as it is unable to switch on both amps at the same time they will be fine. In other words, A or B amp only.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, what the heck, go for it. You know you want to and are just looking for someone to agree with you. Sorry that didn't happen.

Let us know how it works out for ya.

R

roadstarman

Enthusiast
Oh, what the heck, go for it. You know you want to and are just looking for someone to agree with you. Sorry that didn't happen.

Let us know how it works out for ya.
I really do appreciate the feedback from you guys and no direspect intended. I'm trying to take all the info and come up with a solution. markw: Your don't know what you're talking about........I questioned in my OP whether or not I could connect multiple amps to one set of speakers......NO.....I get it.........bad idea! Then we started talking about speaker switches. Isiberian's first post said to use a speaker selector......then when I found one that was a dual source his last post said it wouldn't work and I would "burn the house down"! Then some of you are answering each others question and lose track of what my needs are.
NO, I did not come in here with my mind made up. I am trying to find a solution that works for ME. I am doing the best I can interpreting conflicting info to find a solution to my problem. If there is no solution....oh well....I guess my music amps will just sit there and be useless because I cannot go out and buy another receiver now and I don't have enough speakers or room to set up a different system for music. So if you have an inexpensive solution then lets hear it, otherwise let the thread go dead because you've answered my original question.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I really do appreciate the feedback from you guys and no direspect intended. I'm trying to take all the info and come up with a solution. markw: Your don't know what you're talking about........I questioned in my OP whether or not I could connect multiple amps to one set of speakers......NO.....I get it.........bad idea! Then we started talking about speaker switches. Isiberian's first post said to use a speaker selector......then when I found one that was a dual source his last post said it wouldn't work and I would "burn the house down"! Then some of you are answering each others question and lose track of what my needs are.
NO, I did not come in here with my mind made up. I am trying to find a solution that works for ME. I am doing the best I can interpreting conflicting info to find a solution to my problem. If there is no solution....oh well....I guess my music amps will just sit there and be useless because I cannot go out and buy another receiver now and I don't have enough speakers or room to set up a different system for music. So if you have an inexpensive solution then lets hear it, otherwise let the thread go dead because you've answered my original question.
It sounds to me as if music is your top priority and not TV/movies.

If you look around for good older receiver with preouts, missing the latest bells and whistles, then I bet you will come out cheaper than creating a bird's nest with a bunch of unhandy wires and switches. Honestly, even if you make it safe, you are still left with an ergonomic nightmare doing it your way.

I bet if do your homework you will be able to solve this correctly for a very modest outlay.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I misunderstood your original post. I didn't think you were trying to hookup to different amps to a single speaker. This is dangerous and could potentially hurt one of those family members. IOTW it's a very bad idea. The selector switches are for changing sources not changing amps. Does your amp not have a 12 volt trigger? Perhaps you could use that to power it on for the family.

If you decide you need to sell your amp check out audiogon.

The other solution is to have completely separate setups. Does your receiver have pre-amp outs?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
OP, I do know what you're talking about. and what i'm talking about.

I saw your tread on that "other" site and don't understand why you don't understand what's being said there as well.

What part of that $80 Russound switch or a bunch of DPDT switches with an "on-off-on", or "break before make" configuration don't you understand? If you've got any skills at all, and any grasp on the situation, that second solution might be just the answer, if you don't mind flipping a few switches.

R

roadstarman

Enthusiast
It sounds to me as if music is your top priority and not TV/movies.

If you look around for good older receiver with preouts, missing the latest bells and whistles, then I bet you will come out cheaper than creating a bird's nest with a bunch of unhandy wires and switches. Honestly, even if you make it safe, you are still left with an ergonomic nightmare doing it your way.

I bet if do your homework you will be able to solve this correctly for a very modest outlay.
What do I look for in a receiver with preouts? Do I need main-in inputs. How do I then hook up the speakers. Remember, I only want to use the seperates occasionally with the receiver handling most of the video usage.

ahblaza

ahblaza

What do I look for in a receiver with preouts? Do I need main-in inputs. How do I then hook up the speakers. Remember, I only want to use the seperates occasionally with the receiver handling most of the video usage.
I would look for a pre-HDMI receiver with digital (optical and coaxial) and analog line level inputs i.e. CD, DVD etc and at least 5.1 pre-outs to connect to your amp and from the amp connect the speakers you want to use. when using the receiver's amps connect the speaker binding posts on the back of the receiver to the speakers you want to use for that. Most receivers (Dolby Digital) that have pre-outs have analog line level inputs for use with Legacy components (no HDMI out) such as BD players that have analog pre-outs (5.1) that you would connect to your receiver's 5.1 inputs. When using your separate amp the receiver will be used as a preamp to drive your amp and the speakers connected to that amp. There are some deals to be had relatively inexpensive going this route, you're just looking basically for a receiver that can be used as a preamp to drive your external amp. Maybe someone else can explain this a little better to you. Good luck.
Cheers Jeff

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What you do is use your receiver for all sources. Then you connect the pre outs left and right to your power amp. Connect your power amp to the left and right speakers. Your power amp will then power the left and right speakers for all sources.

I don't think you should avoid HDMI, you TV experience will be better that way.

Just check the specs of any receiver you consider for purchase for the presence of pre outs.

ahblaza

ahblaza

My reco for pre-HDMI was only considering cost, as the OP seems to on a strict budget. Getting into pre-out receivers is also a higher price point, if HDMI and pre-outs are available, by all means I would go that route if within budget. Mark don't you have a quote saying buying within your budget will......something?
Cheers Jeff

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My reco for pre-HDMI was only considering cost, as the OP seems to on a strict budget. Getting into pre-out receivers is also a higher price point, if HDMI and pre-outs are available, by all means I would go that route if within budget. Mark don't you have a quote saying buying within your budget will......something?
Cheers Jeff
It seems older receivers that have Dolby digital but not the newer codecs, go in the $160 range on Ebay

maximoiglesias

maximoiglesias

Audioholic
I have my two main/front speakers connected to a separate integrated stereo amplifier with a turntable and a SACD player for analog stereo music listening.
It is a matter of never ever turn both amps on at the same time. I am extra careful to turn speakes off and power off in the amplifier.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis