Can I use a smart sound bar with a receiver

C

ChuckvB

Enthusiast
I haven't found a passive soundbar I like and I have wired hidden rear and ATMOS speakers. I'd like to use my receiver with maybe a Bose 700 or Sonos white (fireplace is all white) minimalist soundbar so it blends, but I still get the use of the other wired speakers. Can I use a soundbar with a newer receiver (I want voice enhancement)? (This is not for my theater but it is a big room and most casual tv watching).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How would you use both a soundbar and a receiver? It's more an either/or thing. Passive soundbar means what particularly?

C

ChuckvB

Enthusiast
So, I like the look of the Bose 700 and the Sonos. And later I might move them and use them in a bedroom but for now, I'd like to use them with the receive like they were just one of the wired speakers. Sound levels would come from the receiver (I'd use it with my current receiver and the upgrade coming soon) and if possible would be turned on and of by the system. (I did open a second thread if passive ends up being my best course, just what I've found there seems to be larger than I'd like for the optics).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
NM, sorry, brain fart, forgot there were actually soundbars that require external amplification. What one do you have now? How about painting it white?

HDMI CEC may offer the turn on/off thing easily enough, tho. As to voice enhancement, you may just need a better center channel speaker but an avr would let you boost the level of the center channel.

Not into the aesthetics, particularly if colored white, much prefer black myself so have no idea what's available in white....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How would you use both a soundbar and a receiver? It's more an either/or thing. Passive soundbar means what particularly?
Sounds like a job for a center channel to me.

Have you looked at center channels at all?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like a job for a center channel to me.

Have you looked at center channels at all?
At first I thought it another can I use a soundbar as center question. Aesthetics will probably get in the way of an actual set of speakers up front ?

C

ChuckvB

Enthusiast
So for the living room (we have a dedicated theater) where we tend to watch most regular tv we use to have a cabinate. So I had three speakers hidden in the cabinet. but now we have this new fireplace and they stand out like sore thumbs. I also consider recessed speakers but if feel they too will stand out too much ( I could mount then in the side of the fireplace firing sideways but that seem wrong). So one slim white soundbar seems like the answer. But I still need the receiver for the ATMOS, sub, and Rear wired speakers. I don't want a all in one sound bar. The ceiling is 18ft high, the room is thirty feet wide and about the same deep. Just a soundbar won't cut it. So I either need a nice slim non-amplified white sound bar, or a see if I can use the Bose 700 or sonos as a dumb soundbar (passive)

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at the inputs on the Bose 700 I don't see any way of making it just a L/C/R speaker. You'd need a passive soundbar that has separate inputs for L/C/R if you want to combine with your surrounds/receiver.

C

ChuckvB

Enthusiast
How about one of the HDMI to optical strippers? Would the volume track with the receiver setting?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis