S

skid

Enthusiast
Hello there everyone! i'm new to A/V and i'm trying to set up my system. i've purchased some of what's needed but i'm open to help/suggestions. please let me know what you know! I have installed on a brick fireplace a Dell HD TV and i have purchased a Samsung HD950 upconverting DVD player. I currently have Dish but am thinking of switching to Direct for their HD DVR with HDMI connections. I am also thinking of purchasing a Yamaha YSP1000 but i need to connect the 2 HDMI inputs, 1 each from the DVD player and the SAT box to the TV, which only has 1 HDMI input. I am trying to keep the cables to the barest minimum on the brick fireplace. Should i purchase a "HDMI switcher" to accept the 2 inputs and then use the HDMI cable from the switcher to the TV? any recommendations on switchers? does this sytemm sound feasible? good? thanks again for all posts! Scott

R

Rtstrider

Junior Audioholic
skid said:
I have installed on a brick fireplace a Dell HD TV
Now I've heard from many o' places, mounting your tv on the fireplace is beyond the no no thing to do! Even at Universal Electronics in mobile, AL, when I was getting my sub repaired, I asked the owner this question and he said that's a major no no! The only thing I've been told over and over was that heat buildup melts insulation (which I think the heat coming from where it's at shouldn't be to rough as long as the wires are heavily insulated) and the heat buildup behind the tv isn't good for it either....

Edit: Edited to add the state to the city Mobile

S

skid

Enthusiast
i don't use the fireplace to heat the house, its more show for candles. the TV is mounted very near the ceiling on a Sanus articulating arm. i have moulding at the top where i plan to hide the HDMI cable. and i'm planning on installing the YSP right below the TV. what cables should i use to join the YSP to the TV? they can go directly to the TV, right???

T

t3031999

Audioholic
It sound perfectly feasible. I don't have any experience with hdmi switches but it sound like it will be a really nice system. Good luck on the hunt.

S

skid

Enthusiast
thanks for the feedback! does anyone else have an opinion on the Monoprice 2 input in, 1 out-HDMI switcher? does anyone think there will be a problem with the different parts of my system communicating with each other? again- all comments are greatly appreciated! thanks to one and all-Scott

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
I don't know specifically about that unit but it appears that SOME sort of switching is a given for your requirements. I'd just assume that you're going to do it and spend some time researching different swtiching solutions.

S

skid

Enthusiast
am i better off just BUYING everything i THINK i need and trying them together or is there somewhere i can go and "plug in" my choices to find out if it all works?

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
I doubt it. Buy from reputable LOCAL dealers and know their return/restock policies. I seriously doubt that you'll find the switcher you settle on locally so just make sure you understand the return implications.

S

skid

Enthusiast
thank you very much- you have been a tremendous help. wouldn't it be nice if there was an online "help desk" where we could plug in all our components and at least know they work? i understand enjoyment is in the ear/eye of the beholder but "do they work together" is relatively straight forward. it seems like the standard answer is " check the return policy", which really is stupid. thanks for letting me rant! scott

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis