Can I connect two sets of speakers to my Rotel 2 channel amp that has 4 speaker outputs?

B

beanz690

Audioholic Intern
Hello all,

I have an older Rotel RB1562 2 ch amp that has 4 speaker connections in the back meant for bi-wiring a pair of speakers. I thinking of repurposing this amp to power 4 outdoor speakers. I know I can just wire the speakers in parallel but since the amp has the 4 connections I was wondering if I can just wire all 4 speakers direct to the amp?

Thanks for any input.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all,

I have an older Rotel RB1562 2 ch amp that has 4 speaker connections in the back meant for bi-wiring a pair of speakers. I thinking of repurposing this amp to power 4 outdoor speakers. I know I can just wire the speakers in parallel but since the amp has the 4 connections I was wondering if I can just wire all 4 speakers direct to the amp?

Thanks for any input.
If you run them all together the impedance might be too low. There are only two power amps in your Rotel. There is a switch to A & B speakers. The idea is that you run one set of speakers at a time and not both.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow an amp that has dedicated terminals to bi-wiring. Weird. What speakers are you wanting to use?

B

beanz690

Audioholic Intern
If you run them all together the impedance might be too low. There are only two power amps in your Rotel. There is a switch to A & B speakers. The idea is that you run one set of speakers at a time and not both.
This is a seprate amp, it does not have A/B switching function. Regarding the impedance, I should be good as the amp is rated to handle 4ohm speakers. The speakers I want to power are all identical 8ohm nominal. So theoretically the amp can handle them. At least I hope lol

B

beanz690

Audioholic Intern
Wow an amp that has dedicated terminals to bi-wiring. Weird. What speakers are you wanting to use?
Hi @lovinthehd

Yeah, it's kinda weird IMO too but thats what they're for.

From the manual: "The amplifier has two sets of color coded terminals for each amplifier channel. Having two sets of terminals for each channel makes it easy to bi-wire the speakers"

The speakers I want to connect are all the B&W AM-1 rated at 8ohms.

B

beanz690

Audioholic Intern
Also I might add, for the out door speakers I rather have more sound coverage than actual volume. I have neighbors on both sides so I thought maybe installing 4 speakers would be better for this. I plan on running the extra zone thru my HT Pre/Pros 2nd or 3rd zone and I would set a max volume to avoid ever going to loud and driving the amp too hard.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be an impedance concern hooking four up like TLS says....altho perhaps at lower volume it could be okay; the speakers are rated 8 ohm but indicate a minimum of 5.2ohm. I'd still rather just have a stereo pair rather than two pair in stereo, or are you planning on mono? Maybe just start with one pair and see how that works first....

B

beanz690

Audioholic Intern
Could be an impedance concern hooking four up like TLS says....altho perhaps at lower volume it could be okay; the speakers are rated 8 ohm but indicate a minimum of 5.2ohm. I'd still rather just have a stereo pair rather than two pair in stereo, or are you planning on mono? Maybe just start with one pair and see how that works first....
That's true, I guess I can pre wire for four speakers and just leave two in the desired location if I absolutely need them.

I haven't thought of running everything mono I'm not even sure the zone 2 function allows me to do that. I have to check the Yamaha settings to see.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis