Can I buy a dumb TV?

P

paulsen

Audiophyte
I have a ROKU for streaming, I have a home theater system for sound. I don't think I need a "smart" TV. Can I buy just a TV monitor, say OLED 65 inch?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Economies of scale usually make a pure monitor more expensive....easier to just not use the "smart" part.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have a smart tv and have never used the Smart TV features. I don't stream with it, external streamers will always be better in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I have a smart tv and have never used the Smart TV features. I don't stream with it, external streamers will always be better in my opinion.
The smart TV features on my LG OLED CX works very well and better than expected with no need buy a new Chromecast to watch UHD content.

As long as the TV gets needed software updates I don’t have to get a new streamer.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The smart TV features on my LG OLED CX works very well and better than expected with no need buy a new Chromecast to watch UHD content.

As long as the TV gets needed software updates I don’t have to get a new streamer.
I hear ya but with home theater then you have to use the ARC or eARC feature and that I did not like at all. I like my Fire Cube.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I hear ya but with home theater then you have to use the ARC or eARC feature and that I did not like at all. I like my Fire Cube.

The ARC (I’ve an older Denon AVR) was a bit fiddling to setup as I wanted my Logitech remote to control power on/off for devices. Otherwise ARC works well for me, knock wood.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The ARC (I’ve an older Denon AVR) was a bit fiddling to setup as I wanted my Logitech remote to control power on/off for devices. Otherwise ARC works well for me, knock wood.
Yeah I was gonna say that might be just me and others may have no issue and prefer it. I just didn't like it myself.
I love my Fire Cube but that again is very subjective.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not really an option. I also have LG OLED smart TV that I just use as a screen, after setup I have only used power button from remote.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have a ROKU for streaming, I have a home theater system for sound. I don't think I need a "smart" TV. Can I buy just a TV monitor, say OLED 65 inch?
Due to mass market and economies of scale you will unlikely find a "dumb" 65" OLED for lower $ than if smart. You just won't use the features.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
People often are under the severe misconception that it costs less to buy a TV without features that 90%+ of the market wants. They are incredibly wrong. Like back in the days when 3D was super popular, people who didn't want 3D wanted TVs that didn't include this feature.

Don't be ridiculous. TVs have smart features built in. It doesn't make them better, or worse. Just get the best TV for your budget and hook whatever you want up to it.

I actually own a Roku TV that I never use the internal Roku with. Why? Because it is hooked up to my whole house distribution system which already has a Roku and I use the better speakers in my room while viewing. It didn't cost more to get it with Roku built in and your TV will not cost more for having integrated smart functionality.

Just get what your budget affords you and know it is the best TV. Ask questions relevant to buying the best image and quality, and ignore the smart features as they are irrelevant to your setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis