Can I add Bluetooth This Way?

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I acquired a used but near immaculate condition Yamaha RX-V373 av receiver. It has no onboard wireless. But, it has a front USB input that seems to play a lot of things. If I insert a USB Bluetooth dongle, will I at least gain Bluetooth audio capability? Have any of you tried this with a Yamaha or some other av receiver. Does the Bluetooth dongle have to have some “special” capabilities?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
The manual indicates that the USB input will only work with iPods or music stored on a USB storage device. If you want Bluetooth, it will require an outboard receiver that plugs into one of the V373’s inputs via RCA connections.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
The manual indicates that the USB input will only work with iPods or music stored on a USB storage device. If you want Bluetooth, it will require an outboard receiver that plugs into one of the V373’s inputs via RCA connections.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
That is kind of what I was suspecting. But, I figured that I could take a short cut and use the USB input with a Bluetooth dongle.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@bikdav Since Yamaha wasn't selling but that digital coax connecting one, didn't seem likely.

Have you just considered a bluetooth receiver plugged into the analog inputs? Something like this, I use it in my truck mostly, but have plugged it into the avr (with a 3.5mm to l/r rca cable) in my workshop and it was decent, but really didn't expect a lot for $13 either https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Receiver-Microphone-Streaming/dp/B013QJ0W8Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1523514162&sr=8-6&keywords=aptx+bluetooth+receiver

Does it have to be bluetooth? How about via wifi and use something like the Chromecast Audio?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis