can dcx2496 replace crossovers in speakers?

P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
I just received the dcx yesterday still sitting in the box since I have no time to mess around with it now. I was wondering if its possible to substitute the passive crossovers in a speaker with the dcx. say for example my fronts are polk monitor 70's could i remove the crossover inside, and use two channels of the DCX one for mids and the other for highs, have these go to different amps and wire directly to the speakers themselves eliminating the passive crossovers inside?

Just a thought

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
in theory, it could, but you'd have to have all the driver info to know where to cross them and stuff ...

and then one would think why you have such an expensive device with lots of amps (one amp per tweet/mid/woof) just running monitor 70's.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have to ask why you would want to do that?

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have to ask why you would want to do that?
If you are wanting to get into DIY and learn about X-Overs this wouldn't be a bad way to do it.

Two other pieces of equipment would be the Parts Express Woofer Tester and their Omni Mic measurement system.

If you could get to the point with the active X-over that you have either reproduced the 70's original sound or improved upon it you would gain some valuable insight into cross over design.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Why not use a minidsp instead?

I see nothing wrong with doing this just set the crossovers aside so you can use them again if you want. Just make sure you don't cross the mid and tweeter too low. Start high and work your way down until it sounds the best.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
in theory, it could, but you'd have to have all the driver info to know where to cross them and stuff ...

and then one would think why you have such an expensive device with lots of amps (one amp per tweet/mid/woof) just running monitor 70's.
What he said ^ If the Polks are your experiment, it will sort of be like trying to squeeze blood from a rock. I guess the question is, what exactly are you trying to achieve or is this just a project for fun?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If you are wanting to get into DIY and learn about X-Overs this wouldn't be a bad way to do it.

Two other pieces of equipment would be the Parts Express Woofer Tester and their Omni Mic measurement system.

If you could get to the point with the active X-over that you have either reproduced the 70's original sound or improved upon it you would gain some valuable insight into cross over design.
True enough. That would be an interesting experiment. Down side is you could end up ruining the drivers if you did something wrong. If those are your daily driver speakers I'd grab one of the cheaper DIY kits from parts express and play around with those so you don't hurt your speakers.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
True enough. That would be an interesting experiment. Down side is you could end up ruining the drivers if you did something wrong. If those are your daily driver speakers I'd grab one of the cheaper DIY kits from parts express and play around with those so you don't hurt your speakers.
Drivers are cheap to replace though. These are 100 dollar drivers here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis