Can a slimline Marantz match a dedicated 2 channel Receiver?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
So you're saying the 2 channel overpriced amp is aimed at the 24 yr old Millennial latte sipping vinyl collection wannabe? :D
Not merely....LOL!!! I have learned that multi-channel avr's offer more bang for the buck when compared to both stereo receivers and/or 2 CH integrated amps. Especially, when compared to 2 CH integrated tube amps. That is why I was mentioning SS amps. Not necessarily 2-CH amps in particular.

When you directly compare what a HT avr offers albeit inputs/outputs and power vs what a stereo receivers offers, then it is easy to see that HT avr's offer more bang for your buck. My Denon X3300 sounded just as good, if not better, than my Cambridge SR20 in stereo. Furthermore, the SR20 did not offer much bass management. In fact, the sub out (LP) was fixed at 200 Hz if I remember correctly. The left and right mains continued to play full-range. Having bookshelves as my mains created a bit of a problem. Good thing, I never really cranked mine up very loud. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Which do you use? you see I hate that they don't come with Airplay an Subout
I replaced my Denon avr-4308 with the Marantz AV8801 prepro, an expensive mistake. In my next upgrade I will likely go back to a mid range Denon AVR. I have separate systems for 2 channel stereo.

I would think all mid range D&M AVRs comes with Airplay, even my 5 years old AV8801 has it.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Not merely....LOL!!! I have learned that multi-channel avr's offer more bang for the buck when compared to both stereo receivers and/or 2 CH integrated amps. Especially, when compared to 2 CH integrated tube amps. That is why I was mentioning SS amps. Not necessarily 2-CH amps in particular.

When you directly compare what a HT avr offers albeit inputs/outputs and power vs what a stereo receivers offers, then it is easy to see that HT avr's offer more bang for your buck. My Denon X3300 sounded just as good, if not better, than my Cambridge SR20 in stereo. Furthermore, the SR20 did not offer much bass management. In fact, the sub out (LP) was fixed at 200 Hz if I remember correctly. The left and right mains continued to play full-range. Having bookshelves as my mains created a bit of a problem. Good thing, I never really cranked mine up very loud. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
This is just what I came here to inquire about.

guitarmadman85

guitarmadman85

Enthusiast
I posted a similar thread to this the other day. I got a Emotiva stereo amp (A-300) because I thought I would get better performance for music listening than my AVR. What I found is that having a good subwoofer and proper bass management makes a much bigger difference in sound quality than having a dedicated stereo amp. My system had cleaner and deeper lows and was more dynamically alive across the the spectrum with an AVR and bass management.

I'm planning to get a miniDSP-HD and use that to set the crossover for my speakers and subwoofer and stick with the Emotiva stereo setup. It should be the best of both worlds (stereo setup with bass management, time correction, and some room correction).

I use a chromecast audio connected by optical to wireless stream music . If you can track one of those down, or something similar, it would open up more potential options for you.

Previous thread: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/stereo-listening-using-a-minidsp-for-bass-management-room-correction.117616/page-2#post-1379521

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I posted a similar thread to this the other day. I got a Emotiva stereo amp (A-300) because I thought I would get better performance for music listening than my AVR. What I found is that having a good subwoofer and proper bass management makes a much bigger difference in sound quality than having a dedicated stereo amp. My system had cleaner and deeper lows and was more dynamically alive across the the spectrum with an AVR and bass management.

I'm planning to get a miniDSP-HD and use that to set the crossover for my speakers and subwoofer and stick with the Emotiva stereo setup. It should be the best of both worlds (stereo setup with bass management, time correction, and some room correction).

I use a chromecast audio connected by optical to wireless stream music . If you can track one of those down, or something similar, it would open up more potential options for you.

Previous thread: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/stereo-listening-using-a-minidsp-for-bass-management-room-correction.117616/page-2#post-1379521
I would use your AVR to set the crossover and the Mini to dial in the preferred response.

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
I'm using a Marantz slimline 1608 in my 16×18 master bdr. It's driving 4 ohm Pioneer Elite SF-73 towers, aided by a pair of Hsu VTF2-MK5s. Plenty of juice for me but it does offer front pre-outs if I want to add more.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis