Can a slimline Marantz match a dedicated 2 channel Receiver?

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
Hello,

I'm looking to set up a music only setup - and I see a lot of receivers I like but no sub out ? very frustrating or only bluetooth no airplay ..

is 50 WPC weak though?

I said Marantz they have it all except 100WPC

Suggestions?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You already know one common answer: It Depends! :D

I used to own a 50WPC 5.1 AVR. It powered 5 speakers : $5K Def Tech BP7000SC, $1K CLR 3000, $3K BP7001SC towers. The minimum impedance on these speakers were around 3-3.5 ohms, definitely below 4 ohms.

Listening distance was about 12FT from the speakers. Volume was pretty loud for music and movies.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Many 2ch units don't have bass management, or various digital/network features, so hard to compare to avrs in general in that respect (even if a 2ch unit has a sub pre-out that doesn't mean it has bass management either). You just trying to keep the height of the unit to a minimum or something compared to a normal sized avr? I believe the slimlines have L/R channel pre-outs in case you want to add an external amp, tho....

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
What do
Many 2ch units don't have bass management, or various digital/network features, so hard to compare to avrs in general in that respect (even if a 2ch unit has a sub pre-out that doesn't mean it has bass management either). You just trying to keep the height of the unit to a minimum or something compared to a normal sized avr? I believe the slimlines have L/R channel pre-outs in case you want to add an external amp, tho....
Can you please give me a few suggestions if you don't mind

Can I add a sub to an receiver minus sub out? is that complicated with line in out etc? I'm not techy like that

Also, if the receiver only has bluetooth can I add Airplay thru the 3.5 jack using a router? would the sound quality be less than say built in airplay?

Thx

Sorry for all the questions

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do

Can you please give me a few suggestions if you don't mind

Can I add a sub to an receiver minus sub out? is that complicated with line in out etc? I'm not techy like that

Also, if the receiver only has bluetooth can I add Airplay thru the 3.5 jack using a router? would the sound quality be less than say built in airplay?

Thx

Sorry for all the questions
2ch units that have no sub pre-out may have a set of L/R speaker pre-outs that can be used instead, if the sub has L/R line-level inputs. You can also use a sub with speaker level inputs. Either method, without a crossover or delay adjustment, isn't as good as a preamp/receiver with good bass management (crossover, delay functions). Some subs have a built-in crossover, but most simply have a low pass filter (a crossover is implementing a low pass filter for your sub(s) along with a high-pass filter for your speakers so you can choose an appropriate point as to where the duties are split between sub and speaker).

Might want to check out an AirPort Express, seems like something that may work well for you https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202192

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The obvious question is what speakers are you planning to drive? Hopefully we can find some specifics on what type of load they present.

I think there is a very good chance that the slimline will be fine for driving your speakers as long as they are not power hungry.
The deal is if you use a proper crossover (which the Marantz has) at say 80Hz, you are unloading the AVR from needing to drive the speaker in that low frequency range. For many speakers, the LF range is most demanding for power. So proper bass management will alleviate the demands on the AVR.
Additionally Marantz has a good reputation and if their AVR is designed to drive 5 channels, it should have a solid enough power supply to power two channels into 6 or 4 ohms as long as the speakers are efficient. The power supply, which meets the current demands, is shared by all channels on an "as needed" basis.

However, I would recommend you at least hook up a tv on a temporary basis when you are running the automated setup process so you can take advantage of some of the features you get with an AVR. The on screen display is almost mandatory to be able to scan through the menus!

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
The obvious question is what speakers are you planning to drive? Hopefully we can find some specifics on what type of load they present.

I think there is a very good chance that the slimline will be fine for driving your speakers as long as they are not power hungry.
The deal is if you use a proper crossover (which the Marantz has) at say 80Hz, you are unloading the AVR from needing to drive the speaker in that low frequency range. For many speakers, the LF range is most demanding for power. So proper bass management will alleviate the demands on the AVR.
Additionally Marantz has a good reputation and if their AVR is designed to drive 5 channels, it should have a solid enough power supply to power two channels into 6 or 4 ohms as long as the speakers are efficient. The power supply, which meets the current demands, is shared by all channels on an "as needed" basis.

However, I would recommend you at least hook up a tv on a temporary basis when you are running the automated setup process so you can take advantage of some of the features you get with an AVR. The on screen display is almost mandatory to be able to scan through the menus!
Excellent ...

I have B&W 685S2 and KEF 100

I'm looking at a dedicated 2.1 with the Slim line or a 2 channel specific at a reasonable price.

I'd like Airplay and sub out - however they are hard to come bye at a good price.

Now I'm thinking just get a Marantz SR5011 from A4L and listen in "stereo " mode when not doing 7.2

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Excellent ...

I'm looking at a dedicated 2.1 with the Slim line or a 2 channel specific at a reasonable price.

I'd like Airplay and sub out - however they are hard to come bye at a good price.

Now I'm thinking just get a Marantz SR5011 from A4L and listen in "stereo " mode when not doing 7.2
If you mean KEFQ100 or R100, they don't play very loud anyway so 100 WPC would be fine in a small room.

Something like the $700 Denon X3300H should do the job easily.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X3300W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01HL8KYAY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515162419&sr=8-3&keywords=denon+avr-x4300h

The equivalent Marantz would be the SR6011 but that typically cost more, perhaps due to the analog in features that few people use, or the hearsay of the so called "warm sound" going around in NA, that is false but people managed to convince themselves with the help of Mr. Placebo.

Both models come with Audyssey XT32 SubEQHT, you won't find that in any 2 channel receivers. As mentioned by others, a multichannel amp typically would have a larger power supply than a 2 channel version. That will benefit 2 channel use.

Base on the Audioholics review, the Denon should have all the power into 4 ohms that your speakers would ever need, when used as a two channel receiver.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3300w-1/measurements

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Excellent ...

I have never heard the Q100's, but have ready many good things about them on various forums. The B&W 685 S2's are very impressive. The low end is extraordinary. Just very curious as to which of the two do you prefer and why? BTW, an AVR will offer much more than both stereo and/or integrated amps. Have had to learn that the hard way. When you can, please post a few pics of your setup. Inquiring minds want to know! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
I have never heard the Q100's, but have ready many good things about them on various forums. The B&W 685 S2's are very impressive. The low end is extraordinary. Just very curious as to which of the two do you prefer and why? BTW, an AVR will offer much more than both stereo and/or integrated amps. Have had to learn that the hard way. When you can, please post a few pics of your setup. Inquiring minds want to know! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
You see I have read that a 2 channel dedicated Amp will give better "sound" than your typical 5.1 - 7.1 AVR when switched to 2 channel stereo ?

Is this true?

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
If you mean KEFQ100 or R100, they don't play very loud anyway so 100 WPC would be fine in a small room.

Something like the $700 Denon X3300H should do the job easily.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X3300W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01HL8KYAY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515162419&sr=8-3&keywords=denon+avr-x4300h

The equivalent Marantz would be the SR6011 but that typically cost more, perhaps due to the analog in features that few people use, or the hearsay of the so called "warm sound" going around in NA, that is false but people managed to convince themselves with the help of Mr. Placebo.

Both models come with Audyssey XT32 SubEQHT, you won't find that in any 2 channel receivers. As mentioned by others, a multichannel amp typically would have a larger power supply than a 2 channel version. That will benefit 2 channel use.

Base on the Audioholics review, the Denon should have all the power into 4 ohms that your speakers would ever need, when used as a two channel receiver.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3300w-1/measurements
Q100 thx for your response, so you're not a believer in the dedicated 2 channel theory?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
You see I have read that a 2 channel dedicated Amp will give better "sound" than your typical 5.1 - 7.1 AVR when switched to 2 channel stereo ?

Is this true?
I just recently purchased a Cambridge SR20 stereo receiver. It was very impressive no doubt. Very laid-back and polite. However, my former Denon AVR-X3300W sounded just as good. Stereo receivers typically are over priced when compared to what they offer. A multi-channel avr will offer more for less money and sound just a good for the most part. Integrated amps are very much over-priced. Especially, the integrated tube amps. I will stay with SS amps myself. Spend your money on a good multi-channel avr like the Marantz 5011 from Acc4less. Highly recommend them! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
The 685 S2 v the Q100 splitting hairs both are simply beautiful.

These are speakers you buy and leave them for 15 years and forget about them.

And trust me I know there's a ton of great speakers out there - you can't hear them all though!

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
I just recently purchased a Cambridge SR20 stereo receiver. It was very impressive no doubt. Very laid-back and polite. However, my former Denon AVR-X3300W sounded just as good. Stereo receivers typically are over priced when compared to what they offer. A multi-channel avr will offer more for less money and sound just a good for the most part. Integrated amps are very much over-priced. Especially, the integrated tube amps. I will stay will SS amps myself. Spend your money on a good multi-channel avr like the Marantz 5011 from Acc4less. Highly recommend them! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
So you're saying the 2 channel overpriced amp is aimed at the 24 yr old Millennial latte sipping vinyl collection wannabe? :D

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
BTW CNET review of the new 700 B&W Bookshelf - Did NOT test as well as the 685 S2 !
Lastly - you can find the 685 S2 at Best Buy open box these days for price in the $500.00's JUMP on that - this is an $800.00 Bookshelf.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Q100 thx for your response, so you're not a believer in the dedicated 2 channel theory?
Actually I do prefer 2 ch amp for 2 channel setup but for a low budget receiver you get more value in an AVR due to the economy of scale and the fact that there are great deals on non current year model avrs.

Between the B&W and the Q100, definitely go for the B&W685 S2.

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
Actually I do prefer 2 ch amp for 2 channel setup but for a low budget receiver you get more value in an AVR due to the economy of scale and the fact that there are great deals on non current year model avrs.

Between the B&W and the Q100, definitely go for the B&W685 S2.
Which do you use? you see I hate that they don't come with Airplay an Subout

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Which do you use? you see I hate that they don't come with Airplay an Subout
As far as airplay is concerned, I would look into the airport express that lovinthehd linked. I use one with a 3.5 to stereo pair. Works great, and I can stream to it from my pc. I can also control
Volume and track selection with my phone via the “remote” app. It also allows me to stream Spotify or pandora from my phone. Great device.

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
As far as airplay is concerned, I would look into the airport express that lovinthehd linked. I use one with a 3.5 to stereo pair. Works great, and I can stream to it from my pc. I can also control
Volume and track selection with my phone via the “remote” app. It also allows me to stream Spotify or pandora from my phone. Great device.
Is is better sound quality than Bluetooth that's already on board?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis