Cambridge s70 problem with tweeter

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I just bought my first set of towers in a LONG time, simply because I don't want a sub in that second system. Other than that, I have about 5 pairs of bookshelf speakers :)

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
I was adviced to buy the Sony receiver and thought it was a good match, so I felt comfortable about higher volumes.

Can I get some recomendations on receivers that handle cambridge s70 just fine? Cheapest ones would be nice, Im not worried about 5.1 for movies or whatever so, receiver for music only.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Price range?/
I was adviced to buy my receiver in this forum, it was under my price range back then, I guess someone should have told me that there were no good receivers under my budget instead.

I don't really have a price range this time, because I don't wanna make the same mistake again, I will have to save whatever money I need to buy another receiver.
I would like to get some advices on the cheapest ones though, that still manage to handle my speakers without any problems.
And like I said, it can be 2.1 only, since it is intented for music only.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So if stereo only, I'd look at Harman Kardon 3490 or Onkyo 8050, perhaps the Denon DRA-397. Those should all deliver more than enough power and hopefully be easy to find.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I was adviced to buy my receiver in this forum, it was under my price range back then, I guess someone should have told me that there were no good receivers under my budget instead.

PS: I have played the volume really high before, pretty close to the max.
That receiver was good enough to get you started - a lot of people start that way.

Some receivers may not be the most popular, or best made - however most anything
with some decent power can drive the speakers. You just need to know how to control
the volume, even with that Sony. With any new/old receiver, it is not recommended to
turn the volume nearly all the way up.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
So buying a receiver with better power suply will give me much more safety when it comes to lets hihg 1 o'clock volume? Maybe a little more?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes. If it is SPL (volume) you are after, then you'll want higher sensitivity speakers and more power, though those ones are listed as 90dB sensitivity already which is pretty good.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So buying a receiver with better power suply will give me much more safety when it comes to lets hihg 1 o'clock volume? Maybe a little more?
You are starting to creep up again - you need to listen at the character of
the speaker - if will let you know if it is being stressed - then turn it down

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
If you want LOUD Speakers you can Beat on with distortion and over driven equipment get cerwin vega... Some xls215's should do well...

Them speakers have soft tweeters, I did a google search and found 3 other people with s70 tweeter problems, did you contact cambridge or you retailer yet?

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Im calling them next week, the speakers are still under guarantee. Something tells me they will tell me it was my fault and they ain't paying though.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
This is the only thread with the Cambridge Audio S70 which has some posts in it, so I will write my impressions here.

I have an old Denon AVR-X2000 with these speakers, I bought them all used with the purpose to serve me before I move my family and purchase my new avr+speakers.

These are real entry level speakers, fine speakers.
I would not call them an audiophile speakers by any means, bit that doesn't mean they are not solid. I'd give them score 6/10, only because I can imagine how much better can some more expensive and tuned speakers sound.

I'm aiming for a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 500s when I move and I was a little bit worried cause many folks say they are bright, sometimes harsh or shrill. An they have a hard (gold) dome tweeters.

After listening these S70s I can say for sure I'm not into its soft dome tweeters. Maybe it's only these ones I don't like, I didn't listen some others. I didn't measure these speakers, don't know what's my room response etc. Lows are good, mids so so, highs not my taste. I just feel I'm missing a lot in my music. I usually enjoy music with my JBL E55BT headphones and they sound better than S70s overall, especially highs, great clarity. I tried to tune S70s through my Denon but didn't do much.

My impression is that hard dome tweeters are my thing, can't wait to do some demos in Ireland ;)

But I can say for sure that I'm worried even more now cause I'm not sure what's a truly fine speaker for me, 10/10 for my ears. If it turns out to be 3000€ for a pair I'm doomed. Wife will file for a divorce

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis