Cambridge Audio S30 minimonitors.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
When I got my Cambridge Audio electronics (Azur 340C CD player and 340A integrated amp), I was impressed enough with the performance/price that I had to try their speakers. The $260/pr S30s are the only speakers they make, and they recommend them with all their electronics (some of which are way expensive). That should tell you something right there.
The S30s are really small even by minimonitor standards. The size is mis-stated on some sites, but is actually 9" high X 9" deep X 6 1/2" wide. Given this (and their rating "on paper" of 55Hz), it would be easy to think that they would be bass shy. In fact, they passed every bass challenge I threw at them (from Brian Bromberg's acoustic solos to Bill Lasswell's dub) with flying colors, not only with every note present but with vanishingly low distortion and often tactile impact.
The excellent imaging that minimonitors are known for is present in spades (perhaps not the largest 3-dimensional a soundstage around, but laser-etched precision), and the overall sound is super clean and detailed. As with the bass, high-level dynamics are also surprisingly strong, easily holding their own against small floorstanders such as my Mirage Omni 350s. They also passed my harmonic distortion torture test (Javanese gamelan orchestra) without breaking a sweat.
Most impressive of all is the complete lack of the "boxy" quality that I associate with small speakers. In fact, they are highly transparent and often not identifiable as the source at all.
To say merely that I am impressed with the S30s (and the Cambridge system as a whole) would be an understatement. I am not certain yet that they will displace the Omnis as my long-term favorites, but given that those are 4 times the size and 2 1/2 times the price, the mere fact that they might displace them is amazing.
I have heard a lot of minimonitors and small bookshelves that cannot compete with the S30s, including some a lot more expensive (eg the $1000/pr B&W CM1s.) I agree with What HiFi that the system as a whole is the one to beat at the price (just under $1000 total.)
Both the speakers and the Cambridge Azur electronics receive my highest recommendation.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Cambridge used to make very nice speakers for computer use back in the day. I haven't seen any in a while, but I would certainly hope that they haven't skimped on quality and sound.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
This thread is useless without pics.:D

Just had to get that in. I'm glad to see you like the new speakers and that the all one brand experiment was successful.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
This thread is useless without pics.:D

Just had to get that in. I'm glad to see you like the new speakers and that the all one brand experiment was successful.
Not a lot of camera skills, but I will give it a try. One of the things that looks way cool is that the speakers are practically dwarfed by the stands (in fact, there were some stands I rejected because the top plate was too big!)

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
No pictures. I thought I still had my mom's old digital camera, but apparently not.:(
The more I listen to the speakers, the more I continue to revise my opinion of them upwards. They are quickly going from "excellent for the size and/or price" to "among the best I have ever heard, period." Perhaps most amazing of all is that I am not sure I have ever heard better-sounding bass, even from large floorstanders.:)
I was planning to A/B them with my Mirages again, but now I am not sure that there would be any point.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
what's a good place to buy these speakers from and do they charge shipping? The reviews said these speakers need to placed away from the wall. What's the minimum distance from the wall do they need to be? If these are as good as you say they are I might replace might polk RM7600 with them. Is there a matching center? Thanks.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
what's a good place to buy these speakers from and do they charge shipping? The reviews said these speakers need to placed away from the wall. What's the minimum distance from the wall do they need to be? If these are as good as you say they are I might replace might polk RM7600 with them. Is there a matching center? Thanks.
The place I got mine from is called Wild West Electronics. No shipping, but since I live in Oklahoma (where they are), I had to pay sales tax.
At this point, the S30s are the only speakers Cambridge Audio makes, so there is no matching center, sub, or surrounds.
The closest I have had any point on either speaker (specifically a back corner) to the wall is 7". CA says 8cm minimum for port clearance.

Last edited:
J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Yesterday, I stayed home with the flu so I spent part of the time A/Bing. The Mirage Omni 350s do still have some properties that I prefer, including a bigger soundstage and more "subwoofer-like" bass. In spite of this, my overall preference is still the S30s, which excel in clarity, detail, imaging precision, and lifelike tone among other things (they are less forgiving of poor recordings, though.) I am still experimenting with placement and toe-in, and may arrive at a solution that improves the soundstage.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
My past experience with speakers (and stereo equipment generally) has been to be initially enthusiastic and then gradually discover shortcomings over time.
The Cambridge system is proving to be the opposite of this. In the 3 weeks that I have had the S30s, my appreciation of them has steadily increased, and I am beginning to think that the system as a whole is quite simply the best I have ever heard. I have yet to detect a single weakness, however subtle.
The Mirage Omni 350s are officially up for sale now (I hope I can find a local buyer, as shipping could be an issue. PM me if you are interested and will be in Oklahoma City at some point.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis