Cambridge Audio EVO 150 Streaming Amplifier Bench Test Results

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Cambridge Audio DeLorean Edition Streaming HDMI Integrated Amplifier is a limited edition version of their EVO 150, offering the same performance but with cosmetic upgrades featuring a unique bare metal design inspired by the iconic DeLorean DMC-12. The EVO 150 power section using the Hypex Ncore NC252MP Class D amplifier module and StreamMagic Gen 4 module for what the company claims to be an “unparalleled streaming experience”. The EVO 150 supports Bluetooth aptX HD, Google Home, Apple Airplay and Roon multiroom systems. Analog lovers rejoice as the EVO 150 has an onboard MM phono stage that wasn’t just an afterthought as you will see in our bench test results.

This is our full test report of the Cambridge Audio EVO 150 Delorean edition streaming amplifier featuring a Hypex Class D amp section. The amp module is rated at 150 watts/ch, 8 ohms and 250 watts/ch, 4 ohms. Read our report to determine if performance matches great looks.
EVO-VU Meter.jpg

Read: Cambridge Audio EVO 150 Streaming Amplifier Bench Test Results

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Gene, thank you for a detailed review but I do have a seemingly silly question. If on the FFT, the 3rd harmonic alone is already at -97 dB, how was it possible that you also got -107 dB THD+N and output at 2 V; and input at 0 dBFS for both tests, so the measuring conditions did not seem to be the reason. What did I miss, or misread? Thank you.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the review. I want to buy this unit just so I can go back to the future. Looks very cool.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
The standard EVO 150 was on my radar when I was looking at a new integrated amp. I like the look of this one much more than the standard model. And heck, who doesn't love VU meters. :cool:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, thank you for a detailed review but I do have a seemingly silly question. If on the FFT, the 3rd harmonic alone is already at -97 dB, how was it possible that you also got -107 dB THD+N and output at 2 V; and input at 0 dBFS for both tests, so the measuring conditions did not seem to be the reason. What did I miss, or misread? Thank you.
Hmm that is interesting. Perhaps it has to do with sweep duration or an averaging effect during the sweep process vs running a discrete continuous tone via FFT. I double checked both measurements were done with BW limiting on to avoid switching contamination from the amp.

Also, at 2Vrms, the amp section is clipping, even unloaded so it's possible that is contaminating the results during continuous tone testing.

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
As others have said, thanks for the review. I'm glad to see streamers catching on. Ten - 15 years ago only a few companies, like Grace Digital and Ocean Digital, were making streamers. I still have a Mondo Elite that's (surprisingly) still kicking which has chromecast and bluetooth, built in. Ahead of their time for sure. Back then they had some audiophile offerings, but those, like these companies, have diminished significantly.

I saw elsewhere that the display can also show you what's playing, like album artwork, the source, other info, and a clock. Which I think is important. When I'm streaming via chromecast to other systems besides the Mondo which has a display, if I hear something I like it annoys me I have to find my phone before the song ends to see what was playing.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That looks like a really well thought out unit, and will be a very useful unit to many. It is a pity they could not add full bass management. I think that is important for a unit like this, which is likely to be used with smaller speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The standard EVO 150 was on my radar when I was looking at a new integrated amp. I like the look of this one much more than the standard model. And heck, who doesn't love VU meters. :cool:
Gotta admit vu meters do little for me....my first thought was does it have a way to turn off the light on them?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Gotta admit vu meters do little for me....my first thought was does it have a way to turn off the light on them?
They are just graphic. As I mentioned, you can have it show what's playing, including album art, instead of the meter. It can also an expensive clock when not playing. Surprised this part was omitted from the review.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They are just graphic. As I mentioned, you can have it show what's playing, including album art, instead of the meter. It can also an expensive clock when not playing. Surprised this part was omitted from the review.
Oh I went for vu meters on an amp long ago and it captivated me more in terms of minutes....

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
You can adjust the whole panel. For me it mostly depends on room brightness. While I am working during the day the lights on the amp are fine. If I am listening after hours it is all dark. Funny enough my Michi X3 has meters and a spectrum analyzer you can turn on. The meters never move as I don't listen loud enough so I never use them.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
At least it makes over 100WPC/8Ohms. But again, for less $ than that, I'm still opting for an AVR with comprehensive bass management etc., even if for just two channel listening, or something from Yamaha instead. Funny that I knew it was going to be Hypex based, yet priced as if it were proprietary components, engineering and R&D.

Not meaning to poo-poo on the product or the good review, just that I am underwhelmed by how many different ways an essential component can be rebadged these days. The actual brand name ends up being meaningless. Is as if we no longer have genuine engineers developing things. We have conceptualizers instead, acting as such, and taking full credit as if they created something unique.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
At least it makes over 100WPC/8Ohms. But again, for less $ than that, I'm still opting for an AVR with comprehensive bass management etc., even if for just two channel listening, or something from Yamaha instead. Funny that I knew it was going to be Hypex based, yet priced as if it were proprietary components, engineering and R&D.

Not meaning to poo-poo on the product or the good review, just that I am underwhelmed by how many different ways an essential component can be rebadged these days. The actual brand name ends up being meaningless. Is as if we no longer have genuine engineers developing things. We have conceptualizers instead, acting as such, and taking full credit as if they created something unique.
I am using an avr as streamer and use Dirac Live to enhance sq, it sounds really great.

If I have too much money, I wouldn't mind something like the CA Evo, or one of Marantz, or NAD's but will alwasys use it with DL. I don't think they will sound better though, it is more about build quality, feeling good, and ownership pride.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
If it's filled with cocaine like Deloreans of old, I'm in.;) Otherwise, it isn't worth the money.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Bench Test Correction on Dynamic Power
Guys, unfortunately when my bench test report of the EVO 150 was uploaded to the site, the power table got merged with a place holder from a previous review of the Yamaha R-N1000A. As a result, the Dynamic Power figures should NOT have been there for the EVO 150. I found the EVO 150, like many Class D amps with a regulated power supply, has no dynamic headroom. The burst test power is the same as the 1kHz sweep power. The reason for this is likely because these amp modules are designed for rated continuous power NOT peak power. Sorry for the confusion. I updated the online review and will be doing a supplemental Youtube video this week as well.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That looks like a really well thought out unit, and will be a very useful unit to many. It is a pity they could not add full bass management. I think that is important for a unit like this, which is likely to be used with smaller speakers.
So another $3K streamer amp.

The only streaming I do is streaming from my phone, tablet, or Home Network HTPC using the built-in MusicCast in my AVR and AVP that works 100% of the time even when my Home Internet is down (using only local network).

What can these $3K-$6K streamers do that MusicCast in an AVP or AVR cannot do? Will the $3-6K streamers sound better? :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What can these $3K-$6K streamers do that MusicCast in an AVP or AVR cannot do? Will the $3-6K streamers sound better? :D
i am not sure such a question has a good answer. The whole thing is complicated, and could be confusing....

For example, I just listened to my $520 Denon AVR streaming Amazon music, just the standard definition version. Via HEOs, it sounded like FM radio, listened through my win11 laptop via input aux, it sounded much more transparent, even without using Audyssey and/or Dirac. With Dirac and DEQ on, the same streaming, same Amazon, same $520 AVR sounds amazing, no different than listening under the same streaming thing using my separate dacs, preamp (Cambridge audio, incidentally) and power amps such as my Parasound Halo A21 and Bryston 4BSST, buckeye amp etc.

So again, I don't know what is a reasonable answer to your question. All I know is, I don't quite know what to do with my many ext. Dacs. Along with my preamps, power amps, and integrated amp, they likely end up idling 99% of the time.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Results will vary of course but a high dollar streamer, stand alone or integrated, is not going to guarantee better sound output than a cheap streamer. That where quality speakers come into play.

If somebody wants a streamer/amp combo built like a tank and costing as much, they can have it. But, some now concerned with costs of new equipment and still rocking older high cost and quality receivers/amps and speakers need only look to less expensive streamers to update their systems.

The Wiim streamers are getting very popular for a reason. Some still have not even tapped into the built in streaming capabilities of their receivers using their given apps. Though, results will vary there as well concerning services and tiers supported on a given platform. Yamaha’s MusicCast has it all over HEOS(Denon/Marantz) and DTS Play-Fi(Integra/Onkyo/Pioneer.) It works nicely.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I'm not sure I would call this a "streamer" and compare it to a Wiim pro. It's more comparable to the Wiim Amp. In that respect I would use them for different applications.

In general, when I think of a "streamer", I think of a device that could be added to an AVR, receiver, or integrated amp as a component. It's more like adding a DVD player or turntable to your system. I have the discontinued Chromecast dongle on my AVR.

Devices like these, "Streaming Amplifiers", like the Cambridge EVO 150 or the Wiim Amp, are devices for setting up a 2-channel stereo system. They're a streamer and integrated amp built into one.

I bought in early to this technology nearly a decade ago. I have a GD Mondo Elite going to an Emotiva a100 miniX amp. It's a great 2 channel bedroom setup. If was doing this today I would probably go with the Wiim (streaming) Amp.

What's nice with the Chromecast is I can stream to all three of my systems simultaneously for full house sound.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis