Cambridge Audio Azur 540D or Denon 2200?

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I had pretty much settled on getting an Azur 540D. I don't need HDMI (tv can't accept it). SACD would be a bonus, but not necessary. A lot of the music I listen to isn't even available on SACD, but is on DVD-A. Now, perhaps SACD would encourage me to buy some and dabble. But, as you can see, a bonus, not a necessity.

Anyway, the 540D seemed to be a solid choice for me. I skew more music vs movies. I'd say probably a 65/35 mix. There's not a lot of info on this player, but what there is seems pretty favorable. Also, the build quaility seems pretty good too...nice and weighty. And at $359, it won't break the bank. I need bang for the buck.

But then I came across some refub'd Denon DVD-2200 for less than the Azur and it got me wondering; is that a better player/option than the Azur? Just looking for opinions here, knowing that my leanings are to audio. The 2200 has gotten very favorable marks, and it's going for about $100 cheaper.

Just wondering what folks would choose given the choice of these two. New vs. refurb. SACD vs only DVD-A. Your thoughts please. Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I loved my 2200. It was a quality player. Not a spectacular redbook player, but not bad at all (I didn't use it for redbook in general). Having both formats means you don't have to worry which one a title gets released on... There are also more titles on SACD than DVD-A by far. However, I have a buddy who has the 540D and uses it exclusively for music (redbook CDs and DVD-A) because he says it is an excellent music player. I have heard the 640C and I though it was a very good player. I don't know if it matters to you or not, but I believe the 540D is also region free.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Thank J_Garcia. I was hoping someone like you would respond b/c I know you've had both the 2200 and the 2900 (right?). I was eyeing a 2900 the other day on ubid and the last one sold. They were going for $429, which I thought was a great value.

I'm currently using a Sony dvp-nc655p...it's a 5 disc combo changer that I picked up about 3-4 years ago when I a) didn't know what I was buying (I just knew I had a lot of CD's and liked movies on DVD) and b) didn't have a lot of money, not that that aspect hasn't really changed. So, it's just a hunch, but I've got to believe that there are better players out there, hence my want to buy a new one. Also, I just want to go back to one disk...the changer has worn out its welcome.

Given that I primarily listen to redbook, and considering the player that's being replaced, would you take one over the other...that is, the 2200 over the 540D? Thanks.

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
I bought the 640C months back and am very happy with it.I believe the 640C can be bought for around $ 400 . Although it doesn't do HDCD,but my recievers does. But for what it's worth, playing those HDCD's through the the CA 640C on analouge,sounds better.
I have not heard the 540, but i am impressed with the build quality of there product.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In this case, I'd probably go with the 540D :) Lately I've found myself listening to more DVD-As, though I own more SACDs. This guy also said the 540 was a pretty good progressive player as well - I haven't seen it though, so I can't comment on that.

Yep, I had the 2200 and now have the 2900.

If picture quality is a factor, then I *might* give a little more weight to the 2200, because I felt it was excellent in that regard; giving me about 95% of what the 2900 does.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Not to resurrect a dead thread, but today I noticed that ubid has the Denon DVD955 (2910) for $450. Now with that in mind, would the 955 be a better choice over the Azur 540D? It's a universal player (though, like I said, not necessary, but a nice bonus) and is HDMI equipped (though like I said, my tv currently doesn't accept it, but I smell a tv purachase in my near future.) Just wondering if spending the extra $100 on the Denon would be worth it, or just stick with the original plan of the Azur 540D. Yes, I'm indecisive and probably overthink everything. Any opinions? Thanks.

kay

kay

Audioholic
I think the 2910 is almost certainly a better buy than the 540D. Having said that, nothing out there is quite as sexy as those Azur components in terms of looks ;)

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Agreed. They look fantastic. I was actually at a local shop yesterday and they had some CA stuff. I couldn't tell by the photos online, but in person, those things look and feel so solidly built. Really weighty and really nice looking. Ah, decisions, decisions.

kay

kay

Audioholic
If it was a stereo system, I would say go for the 640C + 640A combo and don't even think twice. But I really would prefer a universal player... and SACD does offer somewhat larger selection to make things worse for the 540D. It's a tough position to be in. I've heard rumors about a 640D from CA, hopefully they add SACD support. It would be a sweet machine, especially given their aggressive pricing at the moment.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That does make it more difficult....(less?):D I'd lean towards a universal player too, and the 2910 with more current features migh sway me as well vs. the 540D. I love the way their stuff looks - clean, simple, purposeful, functional. Not as nice as Arcam, but also not as MUCH as Arcam :)

Bass management for hires might be another factor to consider - I am not familiar with the capabilities of the 540D, but Denon got the 2200 right (too bad the 2900 is older than the 2200...) so I'd wager they got the 2910 right as well.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Alright, let's beat a dead horse here. :D

I missed out on the denons over on ubid. So, I'm back to the Cambridge Audio. However, I can't get it out of my head that I may (thought I may not) regret not getting a universal. I need to scale back my expenditure, so a 2910 is out of the question. However, I could probably do the 1920. Given the choice between the CA Azure 540D and the Denon dvd-1920, which would you take? The CA seems to be built better, but the Denon is more versatile.

kay

kay

Audioholic
The Denon 1920 is worth it just for Pink Floyd's DSOTM SACD alone. But that's just me :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't want you to get the 540 and then have in the back of your head all the time 'What if I had SACD....?" So, I'd probably say 1920.

What's your time frame? A local shop that carries CA is going out of business and while that makes me sad, I am going to check out what they are closing out and see if I can pick up any great deals for myself or possibly to turn over for a profit. If they happen to have a *really* good deal on a 540D, maybe we can work something out... (actual cost + shipping).

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=164112

Well, the time frame is pretty soon...as in now. Well, not right now of course. :D I'm actually leaving to go out of town for the weekend for a bachelor party, so I was going to pull the trigger today, or when I get back.

Definitely take a look. If you need a voucher for me, pm Matt34...I sold him my SVS PB10-ISD. Or, head over to ebay and check my username, same as here: corysmith01

If it's a super good deal, I'd get that.

Coincidentally, since I posted last night, things have gotten a bit more murky. Late last night, I checked ubid and some more stuff went up. First of all, they have some 1920's for $199. That really makes me want that player, cause like I said, i've got to keep the expenditure in check. But they also have a 3800 for $349 which is tempting...no SACD, but a great player at that price. And they have 2910's for $429...a little higher than I wanted to spend, as I wanted to go ~$350/$360, but at $429, it's very tempting.

Then of course there's the Azur...and possibly a great deal on that if you can get one on closeout. Sometimes, having options is a pain. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For $199, I'd grab a 1920... A buddy of mine who sold me my 2900, had it also and he said it was a very good player. I'd expect it to be fairly close to the 2200, maybe not quite the same build quality. If you get the 2910, there will likely be less "what if". Save that cash now, maybe put some of it towards DVD-As/SACDs (which you will obviously need to do as well :D ) and pick up a better player down the road once you already have a catalogue built up.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I like your style j_garcia. I think that's the way I'll go. Seriously, at only $200, it's a steal. I can always move up the ladder later. And yeah, I'll use some of that cash to go out and pick up some titles...it was gonna be spent anyway, right? :cool:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So the next question will be "Recommend some good SACDs and DVD-As..." right? :D For me - DSoTM (SACD) and Porcupine Tree's Deadwing (DVD-A).

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I'd say the Denon is the best decision, since you'll be covered on all the audio formats plus HDMI video when the time comes.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
DSoTM (SACD)
D@mn...and I already own DSoTM...guess I'll have to guy it again. :D

I'd say the Denon is the best decision, since you'll be covered on all the audio formats plus HDMI video when the time comes.
Yeah, I agree. I can't use it now...my current tv doesn't even accept progressive input. :eek: But the little lady and I have been eyeing one of those new 32" Sony Bravia sets and it looks like that's what we'll get. Being in a smallish Brooklyn apartment, we can't go too big, but the 32" will feel nice and big and they look fantastic. Can't wait to try out the HDMI...I feel so behind in that regard.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis