Cambridge Audio Aeromax 6 Floorstanding Speakers Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Cambridge Audio's new 4th generation BMR driver (Balanced Mode Radiator) performs both tweeters and midrange duties allowing the woofers to concentrate on what they do best - bass. Cambridge has built two speakers around this BMR driver - the Aeromax 6 floorstanding and Aeromax 2 bookshelf speakers. Claiming low points in the 30-40Hz range, the $1500 a pair price for the Aeromax 6 and half that for the Aeromax 2's, the price to performance ratio seems pretty incredible. We're interested to hear how they sound and see how well they measure.

Read the Cambridge Audio Aeromax 5 Floorstanding Speaker Preview

Share your thoughts about their new BMR driver.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
You know, my first car I think had 4" drivers in the dash serving double duty for mid + kinda high. I'm pretty sure they folded up in the middle when played as well, but that probably wasn't by design. They were ahead of their time.

Anyway, I demand that you guinea pig these Cambridge speakers at once!

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
Hear, Hear

I second the notion. I've been hearing about these speakers a LOT the last few months, and they've been very positive. They seem to be contenders for best in their price range. I'd love to hear your opinion on them

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Interesting tech. Love to see how it plays out and how they sound. One question I have is geared towards output. With a single 2" driver serving as the tweeter/midrange, wouldn't that limit output quite a bit compared to something user a 5.25", pair of midranges, 4" or whatever.

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I've heard both the Min 10 and Min 20 speakers, which used the original version of the BMR, and was pretty shocked with both their dynamic range and output potential. Physics can't be denied, of course, but they were surprisingly good. I can only imagine how they've progress a couple of versions later.

R

richabi

Audiophyte
interested

Ican't wait until more reviews are done.
I'm seriously interested in using these a2 all the way around if they check out good

I am also concerned about the size of BMR driver as the previous poster mentioned. Make me wonder how they'll sound at high volume or with complex sound. The anatomy of the driver makes me wonder if it will trip up with complex sounds.

Not sure if double price is worth 2 more 6.5 woofers coming from the bookshelf to tower... rather put that 750 towards a dedicated sub.

Cambridge also has stated they are not planning on a center channel. Theymust be confident in the midrange performance and soundstage to pseudo center...i hope they're right because this 4.1 or 6.1 would be perfect for my room!

Anxiously waiting, Cambridge. You better knock this one out of the park

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Last winter, I heard a pair Cambridge Audio Aero 2s, the bookshelf version with one 6.5" woofer and one BMR driver as a tweeter. Apparently, those speakers were the previous version of what is now selling. I don't know what changes were made for this version, but what I heard had the same 250 Hz crossover frequency.

As my first impression, I thought they sounded alright, but not worth their price, which was $500 a pair. They were the opposite of bright sounding, but were not bass heavy.

Good frequency response measurements were also made at that time. They revealed a serious flaw in the treble range. It didn't matter whether measurements were made on or off axis, and it didn't matter whether the speakers were fresh out of the box or broken-in for at least 50 hours.

See below.

See post #198 cambridge aero 2 bookshelf speaker - Page 7 - AVS Forum

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, those nifty pics make it look like "controlled breakup".

But those measurements from sword may indicate otherwise.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Well, those nifty pics make it look like "controlled breakup".

But those measurements from sword may indicate otherwise.
Remember that Cambridge Audio has announced a new 4th generation BMR driver, and those FR measurements I posted were done with the previous version of the BMR driver (3rd generation?).

All we know for sure is the price for a pair of Aero 2 bookshelf speakers went up by 50%, from $500 to $750.

R

richabi

Audiophyte
Yeah that is an ugly line. Hopefully the 4th gen corrects that. Slip, They claim higher frequency is improved. Funny how they can charge us more for their flawn, huh?. So we pay premium for something that should have been done to begin with :p i understand the logistics though and if these test well, they'll be well worth The money. I Just feel bad for the guys whom bought the 3rd gen. Hopefully this 4th will correct everything to make an overall round player. If not, I'll go kef or dynaudio if i need to downsize my current setup.

Any word on ETA?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
i understand the logistics though and if these test well, they'll be well worth The money. I Just feel bad for the guys whom bought the 3rd gen. Hopefully this 4th will correct everything to make an overall round player. If not, I'll go kef or dynaudio if i need to downsize my current setup.
Most people may be happy with the 3rd gen tweeter - most may not be able to pick up what they
are missing - the most critical/sensitive ear, tends to be in the minority for most buyers.

I still would like to see the BMR as a midrange driver, crossing over to a good tweeter.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Most people may be happy with the 3rd gen tweeter - most may not be able to pick up what they
are missing - the most critical/sensitive ear, tends to be in the minority for most buyers.

I still would like to see the BMR as a midrange driver, crossing over to a good tweeter.
For what it's worth, when I heard the Aero 2, there was no noticeable noise or harshness, but it was immediately obvious something was missing. I think few, if any, people with average hearing would fail to immediately notice the difference between it and another 2-way bookshelf speaker with a standard tweeter. It was that noticeable.

Yes, the BMR might work well as a mid range driver, but there are already many those that are very good.

I think the BMR's best use might be as a cube speaker. If they improve the treble, just a little, it would easily outperform those small Bose cubes.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
For what it's worth, when I heard the Aero 2, there was no noticeable noise or harshness, but it was immediately obvious something was missing. I think few, if any, people with average hearing would fail to immediately notice the difference between it and another 2-way bookshelf speaker with a standard tweeter. It was that noticeable.
After seeing Brent Butterworth's measurements of the Aero 6 and Aero 2 - I believe I will agree with you for the most part.:)

http://hometheaterreview.com/assets_c/2014/05/Cambridge Aero measurements2-12371.php

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Judging by that graph they probably sounded flat and lifeless. Not pretty at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis