Calling BS on Snake Oil Cables

S

sharkbait

Audiophyte
What good is the best wire?

Greetings Audioholics,

This is an interesting debate that I didn't even think was possible. In the military I did a lot of stuff with high frequencies, low frequencies, and everything in-between. Wire composition was never a concern. What was a constant concern? The CONNECTIONS.

Keep those connectors tight, oxidation free, and sufficient in surface area. Personally, I never had wires cause detectable problems unless it was an issue of trauma (like violating the minimum radius or "Sorry, was that your wire I just drove a tent peg through??":rolleyes:).

A lot of harsh environments, so I used a lot of DeoxIT. Now I go to store.caig.com to get it. :cool:

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
"Python Cables and Connectors" the only name in the game that comes close to what cables really stand for.:D
I tried those but I kept hearing "SPAM SPAM SPAM" out of my speakers. :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I tried those but I kept hearing "SPAM SPAM SPAM" out of my speakers. :D
You must have received a pair of cables from the rip off brand "Piethon Cables and Corrections", but their cables are worthless, they don't affect the SQ of your system at all.:(

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
Looks like there may be a challenger if Randi accepts and they can agree on the test methodology; http://www.randi.org/joom/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=39
Awesome. I hope all parties are able to agree to the protocols.

This forum sounds like it will be more surprised if he is able to distinguish the cables from each other. Not a lot of cable believers around here. I think I would also be surprised if he's actually able to hear the difference. And what if he can't? Will he and others still be such firm believers, or will they wave off their failure for so many other reasons (as do the "psychics")?

If it's the type of esoteric cable with high frequency roll-off (called "warmth" by some, we call it "inaccurate") due to inductance then he should win a cool million... Randi didn't do his research on this one. Cables DO sound different - if one of them is made to measure poorly. Now if he somehow has to prove it's "better" that's a different story altogether.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Strat..What kinda snakes do you recommend?

You guys know that the best interconnects are snakes, that's right live snakes. I've used them for years, nothing sounds better, just grease them with pig lard and shove the tail in, the head.....well that's tricky, you need some duct tape and a piece of rawhide, once the critters are connected you'll swear your in music nirvana.
Prarie Rattlers? King Cobra? For the longer runs, I'm guessing anacondas :eek: :D

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
If it's the type of esoteric cable with high frequency roll-off (called "warmth" by some, we call it "inaccurate") due to inductance then he should win a cool million... Randi didn't do his research on this one. Cables DO sound different - if one of them is made to measure poorly. Now if he somehow has to prove it's "better" that's a different story altogether.
Apparently it hasn't any more roll off than normal 12 gauge although they try to twist that with graphs comparing their cable against a "competitors". Of course they've probably used the worse possible cable from a competitor that they could find :D

Still, it will be interesting to see the fallout whichever way the test will go - my guess is that audiophools will continue to believe no matter what as they did after all the Stereo Review ABX testing that was done in the 80's.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
I breezed through real quick, but didn't see it mentioned: Michael Fremer has accepted the challenge.

In my opinion, this is great. I've met Michael, actually, I interviewed him in Episode 6. The guy's hilarious, and a little nuts. I don't always agree with him, but I like him.

I'll say this, if there is a difference, Michael will hear it. What I think is more likely though, is that Michael is going to take great issue with the methodology, and ultimately create a drama-filled test that, regardless of the outcome, he will get a lot of attention writing about.

My money is on no noticeable difference, unless the Pears are doing something in the way of coloration, but god love Michael for going where angels fear to tread.

Marshall
--------------
The Real HT Info Podcast

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Prarie Rattlers? King Cobra? For the longer runs, I'm guessing anacondas :eek: :D
Prairie Rattlers are good 'cept the highs can be noisy, King Cobras, well, they pack a wallop, gotta use extra tape, good for "bright" sounding amps, anacondas, great for those looooong HT runs. You got the gist.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
As a direct result of the Randi challenge some of the guys over at AVS put together a cable test involving Transparent Opus (43K US$ per 25' pair) vs some monster.

If any of you guys contribute to it over there please try to keep it civil; the entire thread that it was spawned from is probably the longest cable debate thread ever that’s managed to stay open and it'd be a shame to have it closed.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=941184

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis