calibrating tv - wish i had known this...

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ok Guys, here is the predicament. I bought a 50" Pioneer Kuro about 3 months ago and although I have fiddled with it somewhat I don’t think the setting is correct. I went and bought a disc, but it was designed for older sets, not a very good disc, so I chucked it.

I live in the Cayman Islands so I have never seen the Avia II disc you guys mention, I would have to order that from the states. I really do not wish to spend over US$3K on a TV and not have it display picture properly.

So what do you guys suggest? Do I order the Avia II disc or Google for a suggested calibration?
If I order the disc I would have to wait about two weeks for it to get here. Any good suggestion from Bandphan or any of you other members that have had success calibrating the Kuro is more than welcome.

Today is a good day to go fiddling with the set as it is a holiday. I await your suggestions.
I would suggest searching for settings before dropping money on a disc. As more knowledgeable people here will tell you, the Kuros have little variance among plasmas from the factory. You will most likely get great settings by using someone else's config. Just search for your model number without a specified size and I bet you'll find good settings.

If you're still not satisfied, order an Avia II from Onecall.com like I did. It was $25 shipped.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Been searching havent found any yet, If you can help me I would be grateful. My TV is a Pioneer Kuro PDP 5020FD.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't understand spending thousands on a display and not spending $25 on a calibration disc. I have met people who bought HDTV's but won't spend the extra to get HDTV channels from their cable companies. It would be like spending thousands on speakers but refusing to get a $50 SPL meter.

What is going on? I hate starting off The New Year being this befuddled. :confused:

Last edited:
Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can't understand spending thousands on a display and not spending $25 on a calibration disc. I have met people who bought HDTV's but won't spend the extra to get HDTV channels from their cable companies. It would be like spending thousands on speakers but refusing to get a $50 SPL meter.

What is going on? I hate starting of The New Year being this befuddled. :confused:
You know what they say Alex, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. =)

F

Fowl

Audioholic

What is going on? I hate starting off The New Year being this befuddled. :confused:
I did not say or even imply that I would not purchase the disc. All I said is that I have not seen it in Grand Cayman and it would take about 2 weeks to get here. I wanted suggestions before ordering the disc.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I did not say or even imply that I would not purchase the disc.

I didn't mean to target you with that post.

You may need to wait until bandphan posts a bond before you hear from him. If he didn't get arrested last night I certainly expect to hear a story involving public nudity.

L

Livin

Audioholic Intern
so this begs the question...

DVE of AVIA?

assume both bluray and reg dvd available... are they going to be about the same?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I didn't mean to target you with that post.

You may need to wait until bandphan posts a bond before you hear from him. If he didn't get arrested last night I certainly expect to hear a story involving public nudity.
Bond, BSO was hanging at the pub with me:p And yes chicks doing nude handstands capped the "morning off", however i was quietly involved with my harp;)

just invest a little time and money in the AVIAII disc and you will more than likely be very satisfied. Id also at the least do a day and night settings as the difference, imo worth it:)

F

Fowl

Audioholic
just invest a little time and money in the AVIAII disc and you will more than likely be very satisfied. Id also at the least do a day and night settings as the difference, imo worth it:)[/QUOTE]

I ordered the Avia 11 disc from Onecall.com today. I should be here sometime next week. Hope this disc proves its worth. Will let you guys know.

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Similar findings

I borrowed a friend's calibration disc and gels.

Ended up changing the contrast by 1. Brightness stayed the same, and the colors stayed about the same.

You can eyeball it pretty well if you pay attention.
I had similar findings:), but also found grey scale on my TV was spot on:D.

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
I ordered the Avia 11 disc from Onecall.com today. I should be here sometime next week. Hope this disc proves its worth. Will let you guys know.
Congrats,

While your waiting for your disc, you could try the Cnet.com way.
Picture perfect: HDTV tune-up tips

Then see how far off or precise your eyes are when your disc arrives.

hyghwayman

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Congrats,

While your waiting for your disc, you could try the Cnet.com way.
Picture perfect: HDTV tune-up tips

Then see how far off or precise your eyes are when your disc arrives.

hyghwayman

Got an email from onecall yesterday they cancelled my order. Why you may ask? They do not accept international credit cards:mad: Now I need to find somewhere else to get the disc. I will try the suggestions on the link you sent me, but will still pursue the Avia 11 disc

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Got an email from onecall yesterday they cancelled my order. Why you may ask? They do not accept international credit cards:mad: Now I need to find somewhere else to get the disc. I will try the suggestions on the link you sent me, but will still pursue the Avia 11 disc

Too bad for onecall, I took my order elsewhere. I ordered the DVE bluray disc from amazon. It should arrive at my destination by the 23 Jan. Now the waiting begins.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis