Cadence CSX-15 MKII vs Epik Legend

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
What do you think will give more output for my system, this will be for a mostly Music Listening/ TV Watching system that is a 2.1 channel system that will pair with my Swans Divas? I have been very close to pulling the trigger on the Epik, but read recent review on the Cadence CSX-12 MKII and figured the 15 may be a solid purchase for $500 and free shipping.

Not to mention I have sent 3 emails to Epik with a few questions and not a single one was returned....starting to question their customer service.

Thanks

Jeff

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is a tough call, and to be honest, I think it would likely be close. How big is the room? I haven't actually gotten a chance to listen to the 15 yet, but even the original 15 had a lot of output already and based on the new 12 I reviewed, I'd expect the new one likely has a bit more than the former one. I don't like to recommend AVS, but there should be a review up on there of the 15 from a user who also has a PB-13 Ultra.

The Legend will likely be a bit cleaner being sealed and the dual driver config will give you more output for the size or the sub (the CSX15 will likely be larger than the Legend if that matters), but I don't dout that the 15 will likely come close to the output of the Legend. The cabinet will be of higher quality than the Cadence also; the Epik cabinets are extremely well built, while the Cadence ones are somewhat inexpensive and the veneer isn't as nice vs the textured paint on the Epiks.

I have however read a number of users having issues with the amps on the Legends, presumably the early models, or a bad batch, but it sounds like Epik replaced them at no cost.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
My room is a wide open room that is vaulted and completely open to multiple living areas. (guessing 15,000-20,000 ft^3) Currently I am utililing my dual A2-300's from my HT in that room and they give me all the output I desire. I am looking for something in the $500 range that will get as close as possible to my dual A2-300's in output and add a little tighter control for music, but for WAF I need to go to a single cabinet of reasonable size.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It depends on what you are looking for, but I don't think any single driver sub is going to match dual subs; that's +6dB of output. A dual driver sub like the Legend should give you comparable output, but maybe not to the same level (I have not heard the eDs, so can't compare). Since you are after output, I'd probably lean toward the Legend.

Both myself and the other user (Ron) have somewhat open rooms as well. My room is pretty big and is open to more or less the rest of the house also (via hallways), and the Empire has no problem with it, so I'd expect a Legend would do adequately in a similar situation also. Ron's room is on one end, but is basically immediately open to a large common area.

I don't know what reasonable size is, but even the CSX12 is close in size to my Empire:

Last edited:
R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I haven't heard the Legend, but have been told it's very similar to the Empire, just 1/2 the output. The CSX15II will have more. I've been playing with one for a couple of months and it pounds in the midbass and very respectable musically. As far as matching a pair of A2-300s in output, it might. I have a small room, about 2000 cube, but it's open to another 5500. The 15II peaks at 112dbs @ 3M, which is about 4 dbs higher than the previous rev. What it lacks is meaningful output below 25hz. However, it's very impactful in the midbass band 40-80hz. Quite a kick in the chest...not sloppy at all...sharp attack, quick decay.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Thanks Ron. I will primarily be using this for Music and watchin TV in my main room of my house. I will not be doing any "serious" movie watching on it. It may be a good option for me.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
btw: hey J_G, didn't you had SVS PC-13 before? Is empire significantly better?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ron has the Ultra, I had an Adire Tempest which is a 15" sonotube sub, so a bit larger than an Ultra actually. I would say it isn't really comparable to an new PB/PC13 Ultra with the amp I was running it with. I've heard the Ultra many times at Ron's though, and I'd have to say it fares well in terms of SQ and output. The sound is a bit different with the Empire being sealed, but otherwise they feel pretty comparable. The Empire has more output than the Tempest did, but the Tempest had a lot more rumble down low.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis