Cable Vs. Satellite

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Lets see. Sat,more channels,better pic for less money, man i want cable.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Shinerman said:
Roadrunner is $50 to $55? Man, that's high. Must be a regional thing. I pay about $38 a month for RR. That is high for some, but it's so so worth it for me. It truly is like night and day compared to dial-up.

Shinerman
Channel programming and internet access is very high. It's almost approaching gasoline prices. :mad: I think we pay $89 a month for digital cable (TWC) with a 5 mbps Roadrunner line. We get a lousy 6 HD channels, (the channels as said earlier from 100-150 are much better than those from 3-99) but a lot of very good digital music channels.

I think Yahoo/DSL is going for $15-$25 a month depending on which package you purchase. I'm not sure where DirecTV is price wise with HD programming, but it can't be approaching $89 with DSL.

My issue is I've got cable hooked up in the basement, the living room, family room, and four bedrooms. Can you imagine the rental fee for satellite receivers? At $5+ a pop, that would kill the savings.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
shokhead said:
You dont rent,you own.
some of us rent. first receiver is free. and if you get dish through SBC, there's no contract...even though you don't get the latest and greatest. (no voom channels)

anyway, i'm now a loyal satellite convert having been through what amounted to a tropical storm, and having had signal all the way until the power went out.

R

RMK!

Well if you live in the right place (metro area) and want HD-DVR and do not want to purchase guaranteed obsolete hardware in the HD-DVR, cable is the better option right now. I had Dish network with a Std Def DVR and wanted to go HiDef. In looking at their HD-DVR, they were priced anywhere from $500 to $1K if you could find one, and had lots of documented problems. They also have two tuners and require two unique source signals (cables) that I did not have to my display location(s). You can't use splitters. That cable run was going to cost $200 min and I wanted two HD DVR locations. Bottom line, I now rent two HD-DVR's from Comcast. They have dual tuners but require only one source cable. I also use there Internet service and get a break on that. Picture quality in the digital and HD channels is as good as or better than satellite and HD content is the same and getting better. I will not be going back to satellite unless there are some very compelling reasons (more HD content etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
P

philh

Full Audioholic
Direct TV with TIVO!

There is no comparison. I've had satellite for six months, and lost signal once for a few minutes. We lost power for three days this week. Neighbor had to go OTA for any TV (using my generator), but I was able to watch and record all my shows :)

Cable internet is usually faster, but to be honest, I don't know the number of times DSL DL has been too slow for me. Service Pack II would have definitely been nice at 4-6MB, but my 1.5MB is fine for 99% of what I do.

Satellite signal quality is a huge improvement. I no longer have to look at snow at the lower channels. No longer have to put up with wavy lines. No longer have to put up with 5.1 signals all being sent to center channel. I receive true 5.1 sound data.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
I have been through several Hurricanes here in NC. I have basic cable for my local chan, and Dish Network for everything else. Funny thing....I have NEVER lost signal with my dish! Even when we were with out power for several days. Generator and my dish....the whole time!

Thinking about getting the Dish DVR in the next couple of weeks.

I do like the idea of if something breaks call the cable company and they give you a new box. That is definatly cool.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis