CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
39FD4C3D-D161-4483-9C01-AD0EA62A7601.jpeg

I was planning on moving my BMR to be used as surround speakers. I had the BMR configured for bi-wiring and each speaker has four binding posts. Unfortunately, the bi-wiring cables that I have are not long enough to make a 25 ft run. And buying bi-wiring cables for that length is quite pricy. Is it ok to run a normal speaker wire to the speakers and just have 2 of the banana plugs plugged into the speaker? eg 2 of the 4 binding posts get used? (hopefully, I'm articulating this correctly - I'll attach a picture) Or will this damage the speakers? I'm reluctant to plug this into the AVR until I know this is ok to do. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
View attachment 60758
I was planning on moving my BMR to be used as surround speakers. I had the BMR configured for bi-wiring and each speaker has four binding posts. Unfortunately, the bi-wiring cables that I have are not long enough to make a 25 ft run. And buying bi-wiring cables for that length is quite pricy. Is it ok to run a normal speaker wire to the speakers and just have 2 of the banana plugs plugged into the speaker? eg 2 of the 4 binding posts get used? (hopefully, I'm articulating this correctly - I'll attach a picture) Or will this damage the speakers? I'm reluctant to plug this into the AVR until I know this is ok to do. Let me know what you think.
Bi-wiring is useless and a waste. When you single wire you need to put back the jumpers, between the +ve and -ve terminals. These connections need to be vertical and NOT horizontal, so each black post is connected together and each red post connected together. Don't do this wrong or you will blow up your amp, and right away.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed with Mark above. If you don't have the correct jumper cable, you could easily make it yourself:
Get four plugs and a short (2-3 inches) 12 awg cable jumping (vertically) black with black.
Then run a single 12awg cable from the speakers to the amp.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I also agree with TLS Guy and BoredSysAdmin.

Your photo shows you've attached one pair of wires out of the two pairs needed for bi-wiring. If the BMR Monitor, a 3-way speaker, was altered for bi-wiring or bi-amping in the standard fashion, you are now driving only the woofer, while the mid-range and tweeter sit silently.

To fix that, add two short jumper wires as I crudely drew onto your photo.
1678212281065.png

Loosen the terminal knobs on the speaker binding posts and you should see holes in shaft that will allow you to easily attach bare wire without the need for banana plugs:
1678212679229.png

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
That’s right! I remember there was a x2 gold metal bracket that came with the speakers that was connected the reds together and visa versa. I believe I lost them, I’ll have to look again. I wonder where I can get a replacement.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Loosen the terminals on the speaker and you'll see how you can easily attach bare wire without the need for banana plugs.
That’s I’ll give that a shot. While I wait for the jumpers to arrive.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That’s I’ll give that a shot. While I wait for the jumpers to arrive.
Short jumper wires and brackets are functionally identical. If you use at least 16g or 14g wire, it will be thicker than those flat thin brackets.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I was planning on moving my BMR to be used as surround speakers.
If you're using BMR Monitors as surround speakers, what are your front left & right speakers? At about $1,700 per pair, those are very expensive surround speakers. I've heard them, and I think they're among the best speakers I've ever heard – tower or bookshelf – regardless of price.

I also had to ask because you also mentioned your reluctance to spring for pricey bi-wire cables to use for those speakers. They're your speakers, and you can do as you wish with them, but I personally think it's a shame to not use them as front speakers.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
If you're using BMR Monitors as surround speakers, what are your front left & right speakers? At about $1,700 per pair, those are very expensive surround speakers. I've heard them, and I think they're among the best speakers I've ever heard – tower or bookshelf – regardless of price.

I also had to ask because you also mentioned your reluctance to spring for pricey bi-wire cables to use for those speakers. They're your speakers, and you can do as you wish with them, but I personally think it's a shame to not use them as front speakers.
Because my front speakers are the BMR towers that just arrived :)

I agree though they are pricy surrounds. I’ve thought about selling my L,R, C BMRs but I hate to part with them because they are just that good. I will probably try to sell the BMR center though

I’ve just spent a lot recently on new audio toys so I’m hesitant to spend any more on BiWiring cables.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would be hesitant to spend money on biwire cables under any circumstance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For some reason I thought Dennis had resisted on the bi-wiring terminals....but that's marketing pressure.

I'd certainly devise some replacement jumpers with some spare speaker wire and not bother with the silly bi-wiring (or passive bi-amping for that matter).

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
For some reason I thought Dennis had resisted on the bi-wiring terminals....but that's marketing pressure.
Right. Philharmonic Audio supplies the standard two speaker wire terminals on it's speakers, unless customers ask for four. If they ask Dennis for his opinions, I think he might say he doesn't recommend it. I know for certain that he doesn't personally use bi-wiring or bi-amping on his own speakers, nor does he design speakers for that.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

I'd certainly devise some replacement jumpers with some spare speaker wire and not bother with the silly bi-wiring (or passive bi-amping for that matter).
To avoid a break in the wires, I would consider cutting them to length, stripping insulation far enough from the end that it could be inserted in the lower terminals and reach the upper ones and then, strip the wire at the ends so it can be inserted. That's not going to lose any signal and it could be done with banana plugs, if someone insists. If the speakers won't be moved, I would omit the banana plugs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I like the simplicity of diy jumpers... If you have the cable already, you just need one set of spades and another set of either spades or banana plugs.

:)

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I like the simplicity of diy jumpers... If you have the cable already, you just need one set of spades and another set of either spades or banana plugs.

:)
Unfortunately I could not find the jumper brackets that came with the speakers. I made these last night with spades and it worked perfect ;)

Philharmonic Audio supplies the standard two speaker wire terminals on it's speakers, unless customers ask for four.
When I purchased the BMRs I had asked for them to be bi-wired. In retrospect it was a waste of $.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
When I purchased the BMRs I had asked for them to be bi-wired. In retrospect it was a waste of $.
Chalk it up as a shopping error. We all make them. If I could only get 10% back on all my shopping errors, I could go do more shopping :rolleyes:.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right. Philharmonic Audio supplies the standard two speaker wire terminals on it's speakers, unless customers ask for four. If they ask Dennis for his opinions, I think he might say he doesn't recommend it. I know for certain that he doesn't personally use bi-wiring or bi-amping on his own speakers, nor does he design speakers for that.
I believe he has been quoted on the doesn't recommend it thing. Marketing pressure in this case affected the customer instead :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I believe he has been quoted on the doesn't recommend it thing. Marketing pressure in this case affected the customer instead :)
And, like any good business-person should do, he made the customer happy!

I was asked if I wanted any premium XO components by Jim about my Phil 3s... I asked if he thought they made any difference. "Nope." So I went with the standard XO. :D He gladly would have done whatever I asked, as long as I payed up!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis