Cable one DVD player to two component devices how?

B

bergtho

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Can you &quot;split&quot; a component video signal? Let me explain.
We have a DVD player hooked to a Panasonic plasma display using component video cables. The DVD's look great on the plasma display. We also have a LCD projector with component inputs that we would now like to use for displaying the DVD's on the same player. The display does not need to show at the same time on both devices though, it would either be the plasma or the projector. (The composite input for the projector is already being used by a VCR and is not available). Is there a good solution for feeding one component video signal (from the DVD) to both these devices?
Thank you,
bergtho</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Since you won't be displaying the images simultaneously which may require some form of a splitter, then any AV switch box will do. These switch boxes have these audio Left(white) , Right (red) and composite Vidieo(yellow) RCA jacks which are purely passive and are identically connected to the siwtching circuit. I don't see any reason why they can't be used to switch those identical Y, Pb , Pr component RCA cables between 2 or 3 displays. But if there are swtich boxes out there explicitly intended for component video switching, they surely wouldn't be any different from these ordinary AV switch boxes.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Since you won't be displaying the images simultaneously which may require some form of a splitter, then any AV switch box will do. These switch boxes have these audio Left(white) , Right (red) and composite Vidieo(yellow) RCA jacks which are purely passive and are identically connected to the siwtching circuit. I don't see any reason why they can't be used to switch those identical Y, Pb , Pr component RCA cables between 2 or 3 displays. But if there are swtich boxes out there explicitly intended for component video switching, they surely wouldn't be any different from these ordinary AV switch boxes.

B

bergtho

Audiophyte
Thank you for the reply. I like the idea of using a switch box, it seems that it would do just what I need. I will probably spend some time looking for one that could be switched via a remote signal, to make it easier to use.
Thanks again.

M

Mojav

Audiophyte
check out the jvs sx-s111

I got one and it supports progr. output and comp. inputs (5) to varied outputs... its a little advanced for my system but i'll be upgrading soon and look fwd to using all the features....
Mojav

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
bergtho said:
(The composite input for the projector is already being used by a VCR and is not available). Is there a good solution for feeding one component video signal (from the DVD) to both these devices?
Thank you, bergtho</font>
could you pass the video feed through the VCR to the composite input or is the VCR running something else at the same time ?

B

bergtho

Audiophyte
Yes, that would should work since the VCR composite connection is not being used. I was hopeful that the higher resolution component connection could be used since the projector has that capability.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis