RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>I am often called on to provide calibration services for the budding audiophile and even the professional installer to try to maximize the performance of their systems. I am always shocked to see the mess behind their racks and built in cabinets.I find it humorous that we audiophiles debate the performance or the ability to hear differences in cables and then totally defeat and degrade performance of our systems by having our cables jumbled up like a tumble weed. &nbsp;If I had a choice between a mega buck cabled system that was a mess or a cheapo cable system that was managed correctly I would take the cheapo system. &nbsp;Here are some basic tips that will get you Straightened out

#1 Keep all power cords away from interconnects, speakerwire, videocables and all other wire from the equiptment, all the way to the outlet or line conditioner. When I wire a system I always find a way to keep them seperated; it may take some thinking and trial and error but I can assure you it can be done.If you absolutely have to cross a powercord do so at a 90 degree angle and place a peice of rubber hose over the wire were it crosses the powercord 3/8&quot; or 1/2&quot; rubberhose
split down one side works well.

#2 A word about racks that provide hollow spaces for cable
management. &nbsp;If you choose to use this space you do so at your own peril it may look clean when you are done but all kinds of problems can be created. Metal when casted or welded leaves burrs that can cut your cable when you pull it through. Sometimes this damage is hidden in the rack were it can't be seen. These burrs are sharp; I have cut my fingers on them and have pulled cables out that were sliced to the core. &nbsp;The other problem is you are lumping all your cables together down a metal tube-not good.

#3 When I wire a system I like to have four individual trunks
run down the back of my rack or cabinet, one for all powercords, one for all speakerwire, one for all interconnects
and one for all videocables. &nbsp;If this is not possible then run one for all powercords and one for the rest. &nbsp;Cables should be installed in a relaxed position never kink or try to make a short cable reach; there should be gental bends at both ends.

#4 You can keep your &quot;Trunks&quot; neat and together a number of ways. Split Loom is the black plastic tube that is split down one side and has a corrigated look to it.It is available
in sizes from 1/2&quot; to 1-1/2&quot; you can use this keep your &quot;Trunks&quot; neat and give the back of your rack a high tech
look. Another option is to use velcro tie straps to keep your
&quot;Trunks&quot; together, these are available at most pro sound stores. &nbsp;Hosa is a brand that I use. &nbsp;The last option is plastic zip ties, you can use these (I do) but be careful, don't pull them tight around your cables, only enough to hold them in place the small teeth on them will cut you cables if you pull them too tight.

#4 Other Tips &quot;Take them or Leave them&quot;
Wall Outlets
Does your powercord plug tightly in your outlet?
If not replace the outlet ****(If you dont know how to do this call an electrician-death or injury can occur)*** and at the same time make sure the polarity is correct on the outlet.
Polarity Checkers are available at Home Depot under $5.
I have had loose power cords and reverse polarity outlets; these can cause severe hum and noise in systems. &nbsp;Also lighting systems and lighting dimmers, ceiling fans, ect.. can be the source of problems.

Connections
Modern Interconnect heads are most often designed to
grab or lock onto the input terminal of your equipment.
This is a goodway to make sure it doesn't come off or work loose; but, can be a real problem when you need to remove it
and will sometimes scar or even break the input off. &nbsp;When installing this type of Interconnect &nbsp;apply a small amout of Dialectric Grease to the shell of the input terminal and install the Interconnect by pushing it on and turning it at the same time. &nbsp;When you need to remove it pull and turn at the same time. &nbsp;Dialectric Grease can be found at most autoparts stores.

This is just a mini how to for cable management. I could go on and on. Take your time and use a little common sense and
it will pay off

Happy Listening
Ray</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>These are some great suggestions Ray. &nbsp;How about turning this into an article to post on our front page for the benefit of all Audioholics.

</font>

<font color='#000000'>Be sure to check out the new article based on this thread.

Your wish has been granted! &nbsp;
</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis