Cable box not going through AVR

gracilism

gracilism

Audiophyte
Just set up my HT (yamaha RX-A820). My DVD player is working fine, but my cable box will not go through. It works fine when the HDMI is hooked directly to the TV. Cable box is a Cisco Explorer 8642HDC. I found a thread from 2006 where cable boxes were notorious for not being compatible, but that should be an issue with today's boxes (I assume). The whole point of getting my HT was to watch HD videos from my cable box. I hope Im just missing some sort of setting on the AVR (even though I could not locate such a thing in the manual).

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
So your cable box is hooked up to your receiver via HDMI, correct? Do you have to assign HDMI inputs to particular devices that are connected to them? Are you getting anything, audio, picture or blue screen?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just set up my HT (yamaha RX-A820). My DVD player is working fine, but my cable box will not go through. It works fine when the HDMI is hooked directly to the TV. Cable box is a Cisco Explorer 8642HDC. I found a thread from 2006 where cable boxes were notorious for not being compatible, but that should be an issue with today's boxes (I assume). The whole point of getting my HT was to watch HD videos from my cable box. I hope Im just missing some sort of setting on the AVR (even though I could not locate such a thing in the manual).
If that input to your cable box is assigned to HDMI, then that cable box does not support repeater architecture, required for HDMI receiving and transmitting devices. In that case it needs a firmware update or replacement.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis