buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

S

sman

Audiophyte
hey folks...newbie and layman so speak in easy to understand terms (kidding)
I have a sony strk750p that seems to have suddenly developed an annoying buzzing. The noise is definitely inside the unit. I've unplugged all wires,tried running a ground wire from fm antenna ground to ground screw on outlet,and tried plugging directly into outlet, all to no avail. When I first turn unit on,there is no buzz. It seems to start after warm. And of course, as a last resort, I smacked the damn thing!!..also no help (duh). The unit is only about 1 1/2 yrs old. Any suggestions would be appreciatedzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :confused:

R

Rotarhead69

Enthusiast
I had a very similar problem. It ended up being my cable coax line. There is a "block" (i forget the technical name) but it gets rid of ground loops. it just goes in line the cable line and "bam" no more hum (or buz).

Maybe this is worth a try. the piece was only like $10.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Rotarhead69 said:
I had a very similar problem. It ended up being my cable coax line. There is a "block" (i forget the technical name) but it gets rid of ground loops. it just goes in line the cable line and "bam" no more hum (or buz).

Maybe this is worth a try. the piece was only like $10.

If it is a ground loop problem, why does his show this only after warm up???

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
sman said:
When I first turn unit on,there is no buzz. It seems to start after warm. And of course, as a last resort, I smacked the damn thing!!..also no help (duh). The unit is only about 1 1/2 yrs old. Any suggestions would be appreciatedzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :confused:

It sounds like a mechanical buzz???
If so, you may want to pull the cover and see if by pressing on the transformer first will eliminate or diminish the buzz. If not, try other parts, usually not resistors, caps or transistors but ones with mechanical shields, etc.

mtrycrafts said:
It sounds like a mechanical buzz???
If so, you may want to pull the cover and see if by pressing on the transformer first will eliminate or diminish the buzz. If not, try other parts, usually not resistors, caps or transistors but ones with mechanical shields, etc.
We REALLY don't recommend you advise people to open up live electronics and start pressing on transformers and parts on our forums. Not everyone will know to use insulated items rather than their fingers. In addition, the person stated they were a newbie, so the best solution will be to try non-invasive things first, then head to a repair shop... Thanks.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Aw, c'mon Clint! Where's your sense of adventure? :D

No, really, take it into a shop. Even with the power off and the unit unplugged there are things in there that can kill you or at least knock you on your heinie if you touch them. Those warning labels aren't there just for the laywers!

IMO, it's probably the transformer physically vibrating for some reason. Loose mounting screws, faulty transformer windings. Also, various problems with your AC can cause even a well-attached and non-defective transformer to vibrate audibly. But tracking those problems down is not a newbie job.

FWIW, sometimes the tranny on my amp buzzes ever so slightly, but it's an intermittent event and too small to worry about (even soft music masks it). Probably something to do with variations in my house's AC.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis