buzzing noise from receiver

U

usher

Enthusiast
ive been getting a buzzing noise from home theatre receiver. i have to turn system on and off a few times then noise stops and it works fine. is this a sign that the receiver is going? it is 8 years old now

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
ive been getting a buzzing noise from home theatre receiver. i have to turn system on and off a few times then noise stops and it works fine. is this a sign that the receiver is going? it is 8 years old now
The first thing that comes to mind is that you have a loose plug or connection causing an intermittent grounding problem.

The first thing to do to sort this out is to disconnect everything from the receiver except the speakers.

If this buzzing occurs with only the speakers connected, then yes, the receiver is on the way out, from a fault likely in the power supply.

If this stops the problem, then connect up each unit one by one to further isolate the problem.

At 8 years old, unless this is a very high end receiver, then it is not worth a trip to the service center. You did not specify what unit we are talking about.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Do you hear the buzz coming from the speaker or from the receiver itself?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis