Buzz noise in my speakers

G

gd7288

Audiophyte
Will try and keep it brief

-buzz in both speakers: does not change when I change volume on my preamp

-I have gotten rid of this noise when I moved components around. Unfortunately I don't Remember exactly what I did and I stupidly moved things around again and noise back.

-believe it's related to my preamp. When I just have my mono blocks on there is no noise. As soon as preamp comes on the buzz returns. Mono blocks connected to pre via XLR. Buzz gets louder and more intense if I use RCA.

-Don't believe it's a ground loop as it has gone away when moving components. All components plugged into power regen.
I put an adapter on the regen converting 3 prong electrical to 2 and noise still there so no ground loop.

So given noise gone when I moved stuff leads me to conclude the components are ok.

Noise seems to have to do with the pre

Some overlap with power cords and interconnects but not much.

I use a roon nucleus but it's about 2.5 feet away from the pre as is my NVIDIA streaming box.

Can't hear it when music playing but it's driving me nuts.

Lastly there a weird metallic feedback ringing that occurs when I move power cords around and interconnects that does not seem right.

Anyway...1st time poster here...any help is appreciated

Thank you

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does sound like a ground loop hum tho. What is a power regen? What if you eliminate it entirely?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Disconnect all devices and see if the sound is still there. If it isn't, then connect them one by one until it comes back. If it is, then you have some other fault in the connections or the pre/amp themselves. That should narrow it down a bit.

G

gd7288

Audiophyte
Does sound like a ground loop hum tho. What is a power regen? What if you eliminate it entirely?
PS Audio P3 power regenerator. Thank for the suggestion. Was going to try getting rid of it and see if that solves it. I have new speakers coming next week. Guess irrationally hoping I connect them and the buzz is gone...yes I know wishful thinking.
But I'll try and remove the P3 and see.

I have everything plugged into that power regen. Power regen plugged into the wall.
I put an adapter on the power regen that turns 3 prong plug into 2 prong plug. Doesn't that help diagnose a ground loop by effectively removing the 3 plug...also since all components plugged into Power regen isn't that a single electrical source?
Thought ground loops came from when using different outlets?
Thank you

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
PS Audio P3 power regenerator. Thank for the suggestion. Was going to try getting rid of it and see if that solves it. I have new speakers coming next week. Guess irrationally hoping I connect them and the buzz is gone...yes I know wishful thinking.
But I'll try and remove the P3 and see.

I have everything plugged into that power regen. Power regen plugged into the wall.
I put an adapter on the power regen that turns 3 prong plug into 2 prong plug. Doesn't that help diagnose a ground loop by effectively removing the 3 plug...also since all components plugged into Power regen isn't that a single electrical source?
Thought ground loops came from when using different outlets?
Thank you
Lol I tend to just think of it as grampy paul's bs audio myself. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ps-audio-powerplant-12-review-ac-regenerator.31298/page-10

Sometimes like jgarcia says you gotta start with one thing and add another one thing at a time to see if you can isolate it somewhat....

G

gd7288

Audiophyte
Disconnect all devices and see if the sound is still there. If it isn't, then connect them one by one until it comes back. If it is, then you have some other fault in the connections or the pre/amp themselves. That should narrow it down a bit.
Thank you.
Haven't I done that?
Speakers and monoblock amps connected and no buzz.

Then when I connect my preamp the buzz starts. When preamp turned off or removed the buzz goes away. So yes its something to do with the preamp.

Preamp must be ok mechanically because I got the buzz to go away when I rearranged things just recently. Sure am kicking myself for not leaving well enough alone.

So like u said gotta be connection from pre amp to monoblocks?
When I removed 1 monoblock the buzz still in the other and vice versa.

Isn't it likely power cords crossing interconnects?

When things got fixed I had moved my pre out of the rack to sit next to it....but I tried moving it back that way the buzz was still in 1 speaker...
I'm rambling..typing off my frustration I guess
Thank you for responding

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you have power cords crossing interconnects or running parallel or similar? Again, experimenting with those connections/devices that seem to have the issue is the way to go....can take a while. What is connected to the pre-amp particularly?

G

gd7288

Audiophyte
Lol I tend to just think of it as grampy paul's bs audio myself. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ps-audio-powerplant-12-review-ac-regenerator.31298/page-10

Sometimes like jgarcia says you gotta start with one thing and add another one thing at a time to see if you can isolate it somewhat....
Yes the infamous Amir and Paul recent drama

Agree with your deduction method. But still think I've got it down to the preamp but guess I need to try without the regenerator.

Thanks again.
Do you have power cords crossing interconnects or running parallel or similar? Again, experimenting with those connections/devices that seem to have the issue is the way to go....can take a while. What is connected to the pre-amp particularly?
Some small amount of crossing of interconnects and power cords. But pretty well isolated but not entirely. Not even sure no crossing even possible.
Right now just left and right monoblock amps are plugged into the pre. Via XLR...tried RCA and buzz got worse.
Speakers connected to amps of course.
Monoblocks and preamp plugged into the power regenerator which then goes into Wall outlet..
But you are right.
I gotta dismantle it all and put it together piece by piece I guess.
Any chance, you think, of new speakers magically not producing the buzz?
Seems unlikely

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes the infamous Amir and Paul recent drama

Agree with your deduction method. But still think I've got it down to the preamp but guess I need to try without the regenerator.

Thanks again.

Some small amount of crossing of interconnects and power cords. But pretty well isolated but not entirely. Not even sure no crossing even possible.
Right now just left and right monoblock amps are plugged into the pre. Via XLR...tried RCA and buzz got worse.
Speakers connected to amps of course.
Monoblocks and preamp plugged into the power regenerator which then goes into Wall outlet..
But you are right.
I gotta dismantle it all and put it together piece by piece I guess.
Any chance, you think, of new speakers magically not producing the buzz?
Seems unlikely
Crossing shouldn't be as problematic as parallel....No sources into pre-amp? What are you testing with/how?

ps Paul just seems full of poop so much as to be not a reputable source of info let alone product. He even promotes fraudioquest. He's just a loser in my book. So many better folk to support.

G

gd7288

Audiophyte
Crossing shouldn't be as problematic as parallel....No sources into pre-amp? What are you testing with/how?
I had my DAC plugged into the pre but removed it as part of troubleshooting process.

Started with monoblock amps and speakers. When amps on no buzz. Only a very faint hiss.

Then I connected the mono block amps to the pre amp via XLR. when pre amp turned on the buzz appeared.

If I disconnect 1 monoblock buzz still present in the other speaker

G

gd7288

Audiophyte

ps Paul just seems full of poop so much as to be not a reputable source of info let alone product. He even promotes fraudioquest. He's just a loser in my book. So many better folk to support.
The feedback ringing when I move the power cords and interconnects is weird too...hollow resonant metallic noise if that makes any sense?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have never found power cables being close to each other to be an issue with this sort of gear. My cables run all over the place and never had a problem. Something is loose or bad in the preamp seems likely and knocking it around had stopped it for a bit and vice versa.

I have occasionally had bad interconnects from connecting/disconnecting and replacing them solved that. Are these XLR or RCA connections? Do you have the option of XLR?

I have seen systems get hum from stray strands of speaker wire touching the chassis too, which can be the case when moving things around stops it and then it comes back.

Do you have any fluorescent lights on the same circuit?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The feedback ringing when I move the power cords and interconnects is weird too...hollow resonant metallic noise if that makes any sense?
What cabling do you have particularly? I have had defective cables (poor contruction) very rarely, like twice in 50 years....and even with quite a rat's nest of cabling, no particular issues. Maybe try another pre-amp would be a good move, tho.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Might be coil whine from one of your sources. Try disconnecting ALL inputs from your preamp but keep your preamp connected to the monoblocks. If the buzz goes away, then connect one source at a time until the noise returns (obviously don't have the amps on when you disconnect and reconnect).

I ran into this problem a few years ago with my computer. drove me crazy.

The reason putting a ground defeat between your surge protector and the outlet isn't helping is that the ground plugs of all connected devices are still electrically connected inside the surge protector. Putting the ground defeat only on the preamp cord alone might make the noise go away, but I never advocate defeating electrical safety systems.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
If you moved something maybe it's a connection. A loose wire inside a cable terminal or just need to be plugged in and tighten. XLRs make sure they are plugged in ALL the way.

After that it's usually routing. If you have a mess at least make sure the power cables are NOT running by ICs. At least 1/2" space and cross as close to a right angle as possible. I keep my stuff off the floor, routed and dust free. I re check all connection 2 or three times. I also recheck for noise (as long as it wasn't a ground loop) by turning the volume all the way up with no source playing. If I hear noise, I check for a routing problem.. 50 years with some speakers over 100% sensitivity. I check by yo yo (ing) the cables with the volume UP. Move one cable up and down, the sound will yo yo if it's a routing issue. GL are pretty easy.. Just a voltage difference between equipment usually.

Laptop PS are a pain sometimes too. Noisy..

I use a LOT of OLD valve equipment with a lot of valves. I use very minimal shielding and weaves to control HF RF. I have NO floor noise at all. Vinyl, R2R, CD, Streaming all quiet..

Routing is cheap to fix too. LOL

Regards

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis