Buying Recommendations Needed

J

juhlee

Audiophyte
I have a Samsung LN52750 TV plus the blu ray-P1600 player for a 16x29 family room and want to add mid-range price speakers and a receiver. Would the Energy Take classic speaker system (about to be discontinued) be compatible and effective or the speakers by Orb? Need a 5.1 channel receiver - how about the Onkyo 7.2 TX-SR607's compatibility with the above speakers? Wire/wireless speakers as being seniors, we are not going to be chasing newer and fancier models for quite a few years - just maximizing the present viewing mainly for the visiting grandkids! Not too familiar with tech wording so "simple" replies appreciated.

J

jamie2112

Banned
You have a large room so I would go with Floorstanders for sure.The Orb speakers are small and therefore are to be used in a smaller room than you have.I have not heard the Energys myself but what is your budget for a receiver and speakers?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Samsung LN52750 TV plus the blu ray-P1600 player for a 16x29 family room and want to add mid-range price speakers and a receiver. Would the Energy Take classic speaker system (about to be discontinued) be compatible and effective or the speakers by Orb? Need a 5.1 channel receiver - how about the Onkyo 7.2 TX-SR607's compatibility with the above speakers? Wire/wireless speakers as being seniors, we are not going to be chasing newer and fancier models for quite a few years - just maximizing the present viewing mainly for the visiting grandkids! Not too familiar with tech wording so "simple" replies appreciated.
It depends on where the main viewing positions are and how loud you want it, which not only has to do with how well you want to fill the room (you wouldn't need as much power if you're closer) and the output power of the receiver. Small speakers tend to be less sensitive (lower dB @1Watt output) and this can be compounded in a larger room because they can sound weak in the lower mid-range, which is an important part of the sound in terms of sounding realistic. Also, I would try to get something that isn't being discontinued- if you need a replacement part, it may not be available in 5 years, which isn't acceptable, to me.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
That's a nice TV. I have the LN52A850 and love it. The Take series seems to be being clearanced out everywhere. I've seen the Take 5.1 for under $400. I'd just be worried that your room (4100 cubic feel or more) is a bit much for that sized system. If it were me I'd go a bit larger even though it meant spending more money. If funds are tight consider a good quality 3.1 (left & right fronts plus a matching center) system sized for your room and then if you desire surrounds add them later.

Assuming you can wall mount and it won't kill your budget I'd consider 3 of the Energy Take FPS flat panel wall mount speakers that World Wide Stereo has on clearance for $129ea, perhaps a pair of their little brothers as surrounds (can be added later when funds allow), and a HSU VTF-2 MK 3 Subwoofer.

If that's a complete and total budget buster then I'd look at a Take LCR 3.1 system for $700 and then later, if you decide you want more, add 2 surround speakers and a second matching subwoofer (that's a big room) when money allows. The little Onkyo TX-SR607 has connections for two subs. With a room that size it might be nice to move up to a it's big brother TX-SR707 but it won't make a huge difference.

If you can't wall mount or don't want to then I'd get down to the store and audition large floor standing tower speakers and an acoustically matched center. That's really my preference anyway but wives aren't always friendly to the idea of large towers. Speakers are highly subjective and what any one of us loves you may hate. Go down and give a listen. Listen to Energy, Boston, Klipsch, and Mirage - but for goodness sake avoid Bose! ;)

You can also save money by buying your TV's wall mount and your cables from Monoprice.com. You'll be shocked at the level of quality they sell for 1/3 the price you'd pay at best Buy.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis