C

cookiemonster

Audiophyte
any opinions/experiences on buying equipment on ebay?
thanks!

S

sherchlojo

Audioholic Intern
Experience on EBAY

I have had a lot of experience buying on EBAY. So far, I have had very good luck. As far as equipment is concerned, the price you see on EBAY may not be the lowest price out there. When you see something on EBAY, note the price then check the price on other sellers like amazon.com. You may be surprised. To compare prices, good sources are shopping,com or bizrate.com. Also, note the shipping cost. Shipping costs on electronic items can be very expensive. Try to base your price comparisons with the shipping costs included. If you buy from an EBAY seller, look for one with a lot of ratings and with 100% ( or close to it ) positive. If you are planning to buy an expensive piece of equipment, I would advise you to avoid sellers with low feedback numbers, and certainly stay away from ones with a lot of negative ratings. Be sure and check on the sellers' return policy. It may be difficult (or impossible) to return something. As I said, I have had good luck buying on EBAY, and have gotten some real bargains, but it can still be risky. I hope this information helps.

P

pbarach

Enthusiast
eBay can work...

I agree with all of the caveats expressed in the previous message. I have had good luck both buying and selling audio equipment on eBay. It's useful to check completed listings to get an idea of recent prices paid for the equipment you're interested in. I have purchased a complete set of speakers for home theater, a used preamp/tuner, and a used CD changer; all arrived as advertised. The speakers were basically brand-new, and I paid 1/3 less than my local dealer.
However, other people's experiences haven't always been as good. A few months ago, someone posted a for-sale item on eBay which was actually an extended complaint about being ripped off by the person from whom he bought the item. It was some kind of amplifier with a metal back panel, and the picture showed it to be covered with rust. It was completely inoperable. The person he'd bought it from also had a picture of that back panel, but it was so small and so lo-resolution that the rust couldn't be seen.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have had nothing but good luck with my audio purchases on eBay. Also check www.audiogon.com and www.videogon.com I picked up my Velodyne HGS-10 on eBay for 700 bucks - shipped. Far less than retail and my HGS-18 was 1200 shipped. Heck, my plasma was $3,200 for a 50" model and it was sold by Best Buy, brand new, with the 4 year warranty! I picked it up myself in the box at the warehouse.

Deals can definitely be had, but you have to follow stuff closely and look for deals. I picked up a $5,000 Extron Switcher for 500 bucks. It is a current model and works perfectly. Great stuff.

Definitely look for decent feedback ratings and try to view other auctions the member may have run recently. Look for good photos, and shoot the guy an email to see if he responds promptly.

DO NOT SEND CASHIERS CHECKS/CERTIFIED FUNDS! There is no reason that any reputable eBayer won't accept PayPal.

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Ebay purchases

cookiemonster said:
any opinions/experiences on buying equipment on ebay?
thanks!
Actually, your question is rather pointless. The very next transaction you or anyone makes on ebay can be heaven or hell. Other peoples experiences don't count for much of anything, it's your purchase that matters. Just remember that you are taking a chance for some very big problems, especially with electronic gear.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

BMXTRIX said:
DO NOT SEND CASHIERS CHECKS/CERTIFIED FUNDS! There is no reason that any reputable eBayer won't accept PayPal.
There's actually a multitude of excellent reasons why a sane seller wouldn't touch PayPal with a ten foot pole.

BMXTRIX said:
Well, except that PayPal gouges you and everyone knows it - so I will always prefer, but rarely get, money orders.

eBay has that nice rule about not being able to change the price if they use PayPal (or not) - they know they are raking it in. Truth is, if someone buys a high ticket item from me and offers to use something other than PayPal I will gladly toss in extras or drop the price a bit.

S

sherchlojo

Audioholic Intern
I agree that PAYPAL is the best way for a buyer to purchase items on EBAY.
In addition to being convenient, PAYPAL also offers fraud protection in case the deal goes bad.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, I have sold stuff on eBay and have been willing to drop the price on non-PayPal payments.

In about a dozen transactions, not ONE person has been willing to pay any other way than PayPal. That indicates to me that people want the convenience of credit card, instant payment with security instead of trusting the postal system to get a cashiers check where it should go.

PayPal makes money from SELLERS though, not buyers. So, if you are looking to buy, then you should expect the right to pay by credit card and have an extra level of protection.

Definitely look at feedback for the seller though as sellers with 'zero' feedback or low scores, or WORSE - a lot of negatives - indicate that the person does not know how to properly sell and deal with customers after the sale, or has not been around long enough. Contacting a buyer ahead of time is a great way to find out how well they respond to inquiries and potential issues.

It depends on what you are looking to buy for sure though, and what is a 'big ticket' item?

Not only have I bought expensive items, but I have sold several items that went for over $1,000.00 on eBay. Those transactions went as smooth as my purchases have gone. Sold a $3,000.00 Crestron touchpanel once - I knew it worked perfect, advertised it as such, and the buyer gave positive feedback saying that the panel looked 'brand new' when he received it.

Truth in advertising + good feedback + good photos + good description + good communication = happy buyers.

Not always a deal to buy on eBay though, so keep an eye on pricing.

C

cookiemonster

Audiophyte
ruadmaa said:
Actually, your question is rather pointless.
i thought there wasn't such a thing as a pointless question, especially in this forum.
thanks for all the responses!

J

john.michael

Enthusiast
If you had to choose a place to sell: Audiogon or ebay?

I noticed that you guys have lots of experience selling stuff in the internet. Which one would you prefer: ebay or Audiogon?

My gut feeling (not experience) is that Audiogon should be better as it is a smaller and more focussed community. As a consequence, even "bad guys" would think twice before burning them selves at audiogon.

Any thoughts?

JM

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Internet sales are, almost by design, a place for frauds and scams to proliferate.

I am not saying that honest hardworking people are not on the 'net selling products, as those people do exist. At the same time, dishonest people abound.

How does the public know the difference? They often don't.

Firms with ONLY an online outlet are always suspect in my book. Doesn't mean that honest online companies don't exist. Take Axiom speakers. I would never buy any of their speakers based upon their website, or their forum. Just my great distrust of the 'net. But when readers of forums not under their control rave about their products, I take notice. When many active readers of forums rave about their products, I remember the name and actually visit the website. When established, printed review magazines (stereophile et al), review the product line with good reviews, I completely changed my tune. When a friend wanted a good bang for a limited budget and was willing to try something different, I recommended the product.

The flip side of this coin is the online speaker companies that have a couple obvious shills raving about their products, I also remember those brands as well. How do I know they are shills? Ah, a trade secret.... let's just say that a limited track record of posts, short duration of membership, and a certain style of comments always trigger my fraud sensors.

Am I over sensitive to online fraud?

Maybe.

I just see way too much of it. One of my jobs is to watch my competition. Prices, policies, etc. I spend way too much time on ebay, and I catch way too much fraud.

The latest example of fraud that I caught, was prices on industrial equipment that was well below market. In fact, the prices were well below the manufacturer's cost structure. A little investigation was started, and it revealed that an employee of a competitor of mine that was stealing goods out of the back of the warehouse, and selling them on ebay. Legitimate equipment. Illegal sale. The employee's site has been obviously shut down.

At the same time, another competitor was dumping a product line. Selling it off at really, really obscene prices. Legitimate equipment. Legitimate sale. The vendor's main site fully discussed their decision to dump the product line.

How does the public know the difference? They don't. Hence my great reluctance to purchase from the 'net.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
john.michael said:
I noticed that you guys have lots of experience selling stuff in the internet. Which one would you prefer: ebay or Audiogon?

My gut feeling (not experience) is that Audiogon should be better as it is a smaller and more focussed community. As a consequence, even "bad guys" would think twice before burning them selves at audiogon.

Any thoughts?

JM
Good question, and I have bought from both.

I think you may not get as good of deals on Audiogon as people tend to do a little more research and really know what they have there. There also is a STUPID proliferation of commercial sales at just above cost there. I really wish that wasn't allowed as when I am looking for deals, I don't want a retailer trying to sell me brand new stuff instead of someone who is just trying to sell his old gear.

Ah well, I've bought a digital to analog converter and my Velodyne HGS-18 from Audiogon and both work perfect. When eBay didn't have the DA converter I found a bunch there. But, I think I paid more than I probably would of had to if I just waited and got it on eBay. Not always the case though. I definitely feel I can trust Audiogon people more though. They actually have to FIND Audiogon and then almost all communication is via email, so you have to talk to the person. It builds trust I think when you can actually email someone and they actually respond.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis