Buying Guide Questions

S

Stevorino

Enthusiast
Hey all, I hope I'm not breaking any rules here by posting this...but here it goes.

I'm building a home theater at home, have a 65'' Mitsu Widescreen HDTV and trying to get some audio to go w/ it. These guides seemed pretty good on the site ( http://www.audioholics.com/showcase/systemguide/index.php )

Which leads me to my first question-- Are these guides obsolete yet or are they still pretty good guides? (Specifically the cheaper two)

Also, I noticed that the receiver in the first guide (Onkyo TX-SR502) costs the same as that in the second guide (Yamaha RX-V450). Anyone know why they would recommend two different receivers when they cost the same or which one is better of the two?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks, Stevo

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I know that the buying guides are updated occasionally. I think the last time was around the beginning of the year (Clint, don't hate me if I'm wrong). Though I think as new products are reviewed, they may be integrated into the recommendations.

As for your second question, at the two lower price points, I'm not sure you're going to see much difference in the receivers simply because the most sonic improvement will be in upgrading the speakers. The real difference between the 1k and 3k recommendations are the TV ($1500) and the speakers (+$500). Consider the other components interchangeable.

S

Stevorino

Enthusiast
I appreciate the help--Any places you suggest buying the stuff? I've had positive experiences with Crutchfield in the past...

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
There are quite a few threads in the archives around here with suggestions. If you don't mind referb units, I got my B-stock 3805 from dakmart. If you list exactly what you want to buy, we may be able to track down some deals.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Stevorino said:
I appreciate the help--Any places you suggest buying the stuff? I've had positive experiences with Crutchfield in the past...
Crutchfield always delivers quick, but they are one of the pricier places to shop, unless you catch one of thier sales, when you can generally get a really good deal.

www.JR.com and www.onecall.com have been very good to me, both pricewise and in delivering. www.etronics.com will generally have the lowest prices, but were a little slower on the delivery.

S

Stevorino

Enthusiast
Maybe you guys an help me decide here:

The DVD Player I'm looking at right now is the Pioneer DV-578A-S for 99 bucks

The Receiver is the Yamaha RX-V550 for 300

And the speakers are sorta up in the air... I don't really know what to go with-- I have between 500 and 600 to spend

Whata' you think?

Thanks,

Steve

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
the athena's are on sale at bestbuy
you can get a pair of as-f1 for $195
a pair of as-b1 for $90
and an as-c1for $90
Thats $375
now find a sub for $225 and you are set
aaron

S

Stevorino

Enthusiast
Thanks, sounds like a plan, I appreciate the help guys....
If you have any suggestions be sure to post'em--I probably won't be buying them for a couple of days!

-Stevo-

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Stevorino said:
Thanks, sounds like a plan, I appreciate the help guys....
If you have any suggestions be sure to post'em--I probably won't be buying them for a couple of days!

-Stevo-
The Athena's are probably gone by now. What size is your room?

Here is a suggestion:
BIC DV62si Qty:6 $375
BIC V1220 Sub $192

(7.1 setup)

Available at Amazon. Great sounding speakers. I just did a review on them that you can see in the speaker posts.
You could spend about $175 more and get the DV84 towers that I reviewed.

Or you could do a 5.1 setup consisting of:
DV84 towers $300
DV62clr Center $100
DV52si Rear $80
V1220 sub $190

Thats $670 for a really good sounding complete set of speakers. I love this Venturi line.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis