Buying a BT receiver.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Amazon has countless BT receivers (like the one linked below).
I know the early versions definitely had some issues with reduced sound quality but am thinking I read that the newer BT gear is pretty good (well better than MP3 quality, for example).
Just how good is current BT and are there any particular features/specifications to look for to insure the best performance.
Any experience/recommendations with a particular unit?
TIA!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AGQMQC/ref=dp_prsubs_3

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I bought one for my van that used FM to transmit to the radio a few years ago and it stopped working about a year later. I replaced it with one that works in a similar way- both were affected by surrounding RF, can be overtaken by something with stronger signal than my iPhone and it often loses the connection. Sound is decent and I don't have a kick butt system, but it's good enough that I don't really think about its sound quality, either.

The fact that the one in the link has a 3.5mm plug tells me you want to use it with your phone, in a vehicle. Don't hope for miracles. If you want to use it at home, I would pass and get something different.

How, exactly, do you want to use this? Mine isn't BT4.1, but the phone never needs to be far from it and it's never far from the car radio, which doesn't have an input jack- if it did, I would use something else or plug the phone directly to the radio (unless it just sound like crap).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
How, exactly, do you want to use this?
I am asking partially for general information of how modern BT stacks up for Hi-Fi.
Also just gave Pandora my money, so before I was Fat, Dumb, and Happy knowing that the BT connection probably was not too much worse than my lossy Pandora. The pay for version is nothing to get excited about, but it is better and it occurs that BT may now be the weakest link in the chain!
But specifically, I will use an Echo Dot to transmit and couple the BT receiver to Presonus R65's (right now - if I like the setup, I could eventually input into my HT and music systems).

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

There obviously are some issues with Bluetooth.

For starters, it uses the crowded 2.4 GHz band, which can get you interference or drop-outs caused by other devices in your house, or maybe even your neighbor’s house, if it’s close enough to you. Check the negative reviews of any Bluetooth device on the market and you’ll find that most of them are complaining about spotty reliability.

Another issue with many, if not most, Bluetooth devices is a dearth of published audiophile specifications, like frequency response, S/N ratio, or THD. Fortunately, the aptX codec can largely placate the dearth of audio specifications.

Another potential red flag is that Bluetooth is a digital platform. This means a receiver also does digital to analog conversion. As you can see from the link you provided in the first post, many of these things are dirt cheap. What kind of D/A conversion can you expect with something like that???

There are a few devices you might look into that should be worthwhile, if you’re interested in something that might be considered hi-fi.

The Avantee Oasis seems to be better in the reliability department than many lower-priced products, but they don’t publish any specs.

The Outlaw Audio OAW4 only publishes partial specs , but assures "Full CD sound quality." There are four channel selections, but no user reviews to be found.

The DN200BR from Denon Professional publishes specs and has a great feature, offering 25 channel options, which should get a better chance of interference-free operation. However, Amazon reviews are spotty, although it should be noted that the issues may be with the reviewers’ transmitting devices.

The “Rolls Royce” of Bluetooth receivers might be the Audioengine B1. Published specs exceed the Denon, but no indication is given as to the number of channel selections that may be dialed in. Still, given its stunning 90% rating for 5 and 4 star reviews at Amazon (40-60% is more common for Bluetooth devices), it may have an automatic channel selection feature.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
One of the unexpected pluses with buying an iPhone and a Yamaha 2060 receiver was how easy Apple Airplay was and how stable it was on my WiFi. Bluetooth works fine on it too but is not as good as AirPlay. I can move around and even toss my phone and it has a few sec buffer as opposed to about a sec and a half buffer on BT (Yes there are better versions of BT possibly on some receivers coming out)
Also Built in Pandora on the Yam (I pay the 5 bucks for Plus to avoid commercials) is even better. I use the Yamaha controller app on my iPhone or the remote depending if I’m on a phone call, another reason I need to free up Bluetooth to the phone is I’m on a Bluetooth headset most of the day when I work from home 2 or 3 days a week. It is annoying to flip between Bluetooth connections constantly. Anyhow I do a lot of music listening those days. :)

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Amazon has countless BT receivers (like the one linked below).
I know the early versions definitely had some issues with reduced sound quality but am thinking I read that the newer BT gear is pretty good (well better than MP3 quality, for example).
Just how good is current BT and are there any particular features/specifications to look for to insure the best performance.
Any experience/recommendations with a particular unit?
TIA!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AGQMQC/ref=dp_prsubs_3
I got this for $30 a while back, no issues with dropping out and connects real quick. Use it with my s8+ and the sound quality seems a lot better than using a cable from my phone. Also note I use the optical to connect to my receiver. I'd def look for aptx compatibility.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-bluetooth-music-receiver-black/9976103.p?skuId=9976103&cmp=RMX&extStoreId=1099&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI06W6s6m62gIVVgeGCh3p5wWvEAQYASABEgIFj_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

The DN200BR from Denon Professional publishes specs and has a great feature, offering 25 channel options, which should get a better chance of interference-free operation.
I misspoke about the Denon DN200BR having 25 channel options. It does not have that feature.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis