Buying a 7001sc, that was on display at the local authorized dealer

A

arunvb

Enthusiast
I am planning to buy a pair of 7001sc for my front speakers. I am getting a new CLR 3000 for the center. I checked with my local authorized dealer. He said they stopped carrying the 7001sc (they carry the 7000sc and 7002) and but can one that was on display, that might be less than 6 months old, for around $1300 each (They used to sell the new ones for $1750 each). He says that they will be in good condition and not even played everyday.

Assuming there are no visible damages and it seems to work properly, is it a good idea to go this route or will I be better off getting the new ones ?

If it is OK to get the display models from the dealer, what and how should I check to make sure the speaker are functioning properly ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Arun

P

pretzel logic

Audiophyte
so long as they are still covered by a warrenty it should be ok. Turn the volume down and put your ear close to each driver, front and back, to make sure they are all playing. I have def tech's and are very happy with them.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Should be fine, but make sure of 2 things.

Def. Techs come in a #1 and #2 so that you can either have the subs pointing out or in. When I originally ordered my 70001 SCs from Magnolia, they sent me 2 #2s. I called them out on it. After some inquiry, they realized that multiple customers were out there with either 2 #2s or 2 #1s. It isn't a big deal, but not something that should be overlooked.

Turn the bass knob on the back. One of my original Def. Techs. had a problem so that either the bass was on at full volume or completely off. volume should be able to be controlled gradually.

Other than that, I'm glad to see you chose the 70001 SCs over the 7000s and the CLR 3000. Excellent HT speakers.

A

arunvb

Enthusiast
Good point Sleepstack. I was at the local dealer yesterday and they had a pair of new open box 7001sc, but both were #2s. Looks like an earlier customer got 2 #1s and so they are ordered a couple of #2s from def tech. They had tought that the previous customer has already returned one of his #1s and picked up a #2 to make a 1-2 pair, but that wasn't the case. The sales guy said he will check with the customer and let me know.

What do you think is a good price for the new open box 7001sc? They used to sell the new ones with the packaging intact for $1750.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
arunvb said:
Good point Sleepstack. I was at the local dealer yesterday and they had a pair of new open box 7001sc, but both were #2s. Looks like an earlier customer got 2 #1s and so they are ordered a couple of #2s from def tech. They had tought that the previous customer has already returned one of his #1s and picked up a #2 to make a 1-2 pair, but that wasn't the case. The sales guy said he will check with the customer and let me know.

What do you think is a good price for the new open box 7001sc? They used to sell the new ones with the packaging intact for $1750.
If they are in perfect condition, I think $1400 would be acceptable. the retailer you are going to doesn't happen to be Magnolia in San Jose? If it is, those would be my used speakers you are looking at, in which case, one of the subwoofer volume controls should be closely examined.

A

arunvb

Enthusiast
Sleepstack, I can't believe this.

THIS IS Magnolia Audio Video in San Jose. I just called them an hour ago and the sales guy said that the previous customer is going to be in the store in an hour and that he will give me a call after that. So, are you the customer he was talking about ?

If it is your speaker, can you give a little more information about the issue with the subwoofer volume control ? Apart from that is everything else OK ? Do you happen to have 2 #1s that you need to exchange one of them with a 2 ?

A

arunvb

Enthusiast
Sleepstack, if it is actually your speakers, I have a couple of questions.

How much did you pay for the new ones from Magnolia and how long have you been using these speakers ?

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
That's pretty funny. You must be talking to Scott? I have to go back and look at receipt to see what I paid for the whole set. I'll let you know later. I had the ones that I returned for 1 week before I noticed the subwoofers were on the same side. This was approximately 2 months ago. At the time I got 2 #2s and another customer got 2 #1s. He must be referring to the other customer. They replaced my speakers with a brand new set of #1 and #2.

Regarding the SW. One of the volume controls is not working properly. The volume is either at maximum or not on at all. If you go behind both subs and set them both at a minimum setting, one should seem like it is at the proper volum, but the other one should seem too loud. Keep turning the volume up and see if you hear any change involume. It may be that they already fixed this or replaced that speaker, but definitely check. The fact that their are 2 #2s or 2 #1s isn't a big deal, but the volume control is.

Last edited:
A

arunvb

Enthusiast
No, I am talking to a person called Micheal. They reason I am trying to get the open box is that they are telling me that they have stopped carrying the 7001sc anymore and they can't even place a special order. They have placed a special order for the CLR 3000 for me but they could not do the same thing for 7001sc. They carry 7000sc, 7002, 7004 and 7006 but not 7001sc. So, basically it means that I can't buy a new 7001sc anymore. This is so weird that they decided to stop carrying 7001sc. I thought 7001sc was the most popular model in 7000 series. I am still waiting for the sales guy to call me about status of the speakers.

A

arunvb

Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I greatly appreciate it.

Finally, I was able to place a special order for a pair of new 7001sc through Magnolia Audio Video in San Jose. But the bad part is I have to wait for another 3-4 weeks before I can have it at home, but I think it is going to be worth the wait.

Here is my set-up finally. It is going to be a 5.1 set-up for now:

Def Tech BP7001sc for fronts
Def Tech CLR3000 for the center
Def Tech UIW 94/A in-ceilings for the rear surronds
Martin Logan Depth (for now, next we I am going to compare the Descent and see if it worth spending the extra 1 Grand)
Denon AVR 3805

I am glad I have almost come to an end with this (almost but not complete because the subwoofer part)

Thanks
Arun

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis