Buyer Beware: The Non-Recommendation Speaker Thread (Snake Oil Welcome)

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
That's sad, because the audio forums have some very knowledgeable members, with incredible amounts of knowledge, and ready to answer any question you ask. :(
I'm not saying the forums are without value. There's a wide range and depth of knowledge here and other places. It does, however, take more time to figure out who has the experience and ears to advise in any given situation.

Jim

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I generally like people's recommendations on this site because the majority of the recommendations given try to give you the highest value for a considered price range and that is exactly what I look for in purchasing goods. While some have no problem spending as much as they have to to reach a certain performance the majority of people do not take this option.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Nice personal attack. I disagree with you on a topic or two and I'm branded a moron? I’m not even going to argue, you’re not worth my time.

The Definitive line of speakers is far from snake oil. I’d like to know how you arrived at this conclusion.
Hm, I could'a sworn you weren't going to argue, but the latter half of your post says otherwise.

I dislike how their speakers have fudged numbers. One could argue that many manufactures have some intensional misprints in their specs, but no one misprints like Definitive Technology.

BTW, it isn't the amount of points where we disagreed, but rather the size of the points.

SheepStar

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Hm, I could'a sworn you weren't going to argue, but the latter half of your post says otherwise.

I dislike how their speakers have fudged numbers. One could argue that many manufactures have some intensional misprints in their specs, but no one misprints like Definitive Technology.

BTW, it isn't the amount of points where we disagreed, but rather the size of the points.

SheepStar
So what you are saying is that they are like Bose but better:confused:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
So what you are saying is that they are like Bose but better:confused:
Bose has no numbers. I'm saying, that the 8inch subwoofer that plays to 4Hz is a heaping lie of monumental proportions. Just like all of their speakers. When measured, they show the low end is no where near the claimed specifications.

SheepStar

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
Bose has no numbers. I'm saying, that the 8inch subwoofer that plays to 4Hz is a heaping lie of monumental proportions. Just like all of their speakers. When measured, they show the low end is no where near the claimed specifications.

SheepStar
So, do you buy speakers because they sound good, or do you buy them because they have good specs and the manufacturer doesn't try to mislead you? What I'm asking is do you buy based on auditioning, or do you look at their specs and pick whatever looks best?

I agree with you that the published specs are very misleading and really doesn't bode well for the company. However, if you actually took the time to listen to some Def Techs, you would realize they are actually very nice sounding speakers. Definitely not for everyone, as I would consider them quite bright, but great speakers nonetheless.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
Snake oil, I can definitely think of a few that frequent audioholics

AV123
SVS
these brands do not make any outrageous claims, so what is your beef with them and what would you advise that folks buy?

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic

SheepStar
so, where is this 8 inch sub that plays down to 4 Hz? I just checked the def tech site and I found no such claim on ANY speaker they make.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
so, where is this 8 inch sub that plays down to 4 Hz? I just checked the def tech site and I found no such claim on ANY speaker they make.
Hyperbole. That should help you find the subwoofer.

SheepStar

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Curious: why do you feel these 2 brands are snake oil?
I will say that AV123 has some pretty dubious stuff for sale on their site - dig through their cable and accessory offerings ($390 5 ft power cord?) - but not their speakers, which seems to be the point of this thread.

I have no idea what beef he has with SVS. I assume he's simply being contrarian.

G

gwilks98

Audioholic Intern
Come furrycute. I'm not looking to start a flame war. I really do want to know why you're going against the grain with those respected brands, and I'm not going to dispute your feelings. You have a right to your own opinion, but I do expect you to back up what looks like a cheap shot.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Here is a link on the same topic originally provided to me by Clint DeBoer when I asked a question about Streem Speakers.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=241669

If you look closely you will notice that the linked post was originated by our own glorious and/or notorious Seth=L :D

If you go to page two of the post, user Alex/d presents a hilarious parody of the "White Van" speaker.

Cheers
Michael

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If you go to page two of the post, user Alex/d presents a hilarious parody of the "White Van" speaker.
Interesting to note that AER makes very fine amps for music performance. I have one. It can't be the same company, could it.... I highly doubt it...

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Interesting to note that AER makes very fine amps for music performance. I have one. It can't be the same company, could it.... I highly doubt it...
I would think no to that as well!

Cheers
Michael

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
jinjuku Quote:
PHP:
Originally Posted by furrycute  
Snake oil, I can definitely think of a few that frequent audioholics

AV123
SVS 

Obviously your attempt at comedy means you have to keep your day job...
I agree. :)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
So, do you buy speakers because they sound good, or do you buy them because they have good specs and the manufacturer doesn't try to mislead you? What I'm asking is do you buy based on auditioning, or do you look at their specs and pick whatever looks best?

I agree with you that the published specs are very misleading and really doesn't bode well for the company. However, if you actually took the time to listen to some Def Techs, you would realize they are actually very nice sounding speakers. Definitely not for everyone, as I would consider them quite bright, but great speakers nonetheless.
I would buy a set of speakers that is proven to be good, and sounds how I like it. Specs and sound isn't the only thing going on. Not everyone knows what they are hearing, and not everyone knows what they should be hearing. It takes time to figure out what is right and wrong, and it is also opinion. I have my preference, and if I can achieve that preference without having to deal with a brand like Definitive, I will.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis