Buyer Beware of accessories4less Scam company with legit dealer license

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
So i have been looking for the best spot to put this post. I feel that our community Needs to know this info. My friend ordered 2 def tech dm20 center channel speakers that he was going to use for this front atmos speakers above his 139 inch screen. I opened the boxes they claim were new speakers. Every thing looked correct So I ohms checked the speakers and found zero ohms, I did a 9v battery test no sound, hooked it up to his upstairs living room system that runs off a anthem mrx540 avr that runs all goldenear speakers.
i tested the upstairs system with goldenear center first removed center test dm20 no sound installed goldenear center back sound working fine from center. So now i tell my friend he needs to email accessories4less for a warranty. At this point i know its not normal to have 2 brand new speakers not working but that's what were dealing with at this point. So they email him back saying there's no chance of two speakers not working and that they don't want the speaker back. Also they put in the email u can't ohms check speakers because they have a crossover. I laughed at that one. So i called and told the manager of all the ways we tested them, He still did not want to warranty the speakers out. After talking on the phone for 20 mins he changed his mind about the warranty. He sent one label for two speakers so I taped both speakers together and sent them both back. He than tells me def tech is out of stock and they can't send my friend any warranty speakers and that it would be months of waiting. I called def tech and had them check stock levels they said stock levels look good they have some for the website and for dealers. I asked def tech if accessories4less was a legit dealer and they said yes. so i asked if they could help with this problem. They said no because its been less than 30 days and that accessories4less has to take care of this problem for now. So as all this is happening i could see how things were going so i found another dealer of def tech and had them check stock level and they said no problem with stock. So accessories4less got back the speakers and claim there working normal and that there refunding the money less restocking fee , shipping cost both ways. I still do not believe these speakers work, They never said there would be a shipping fee to send them back plus there charging him shipping to him the first time when there website list free shipping all over it.

Funny that there billing him for shipping product to him and to take the product back. Do not trust this company. Def tech Needs to really look at there dealers better. If i wasn't as huge of a fan of def tech I would have put them on blast also. My main goal here is to save other people the trouble and not to get taken like my friend did. Also we have now ordered the same speakers from another dealer. There was no shady crap from my friend here. He ordered some speakers and just wanted them to work. Also accessories4less lost 2 -3 more sales from my friend. He's building his pool house this year and he wants outside sound system plus a pool house sound system.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This is not a scam company, I have bought from them MANY times over many years. Sounds like an unusual case. Note too they are not like a traditional vendor, they likely buy out bulk / overstock / old inventory from other companies and also repaired items.

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Accessories4less is a good company....things happen sometimes with suppliers.
Give them time to sort out and fix things....no need to come here and badmouth them, these things can happen.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've had several good transactions. You sure these were new rather than a refurb? The ones I see on their site are refurbs from DefTec so your complaint could well be more about DefTec than A4L.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So your friend bought 2 brand new speakers from A4L. Both speakers did not work when hooked up to the AVR.

At first A4L gave your friend the run-around and refused to refund the purchase. Then later they agreed to refund the purchase minus shipping fees both ways?

Last edited:
S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
So my friend id buy 2 refurb units he was ok with that. It was jeff who told me he sent out 2 new units. Neither worked was tested, He did not want to help until after 20 mins of a phone call. Get them back says they work and that there going to charge my friend for shipping and have a nice day. Very poor customer service. Shouldn't they have to prove these speakers work? Also in said phone call with jeff he claims you can't test speakers for ohms because there is a crossover. that is the biggest lie ever. So the speaker doesn't read ohm's work with a 9v battery or work with a anthem mrx540 avr. Do i need magic to make this things work? I'm not here to fight with people just letting our group know they may not be the best company to do business with. do at your own risk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A4L's policy for returns (of functioning refurbed product) is to not absorb shipping and charge a restocking fee....it's in their terms of sale. AFAIK you can test individual drivers with a meter, but the crossover would interfere with just using the speaker terminals sounds right (but that may be just determining impedance of a complete speaker that I'm thinking of that doesn't work with crossover in place). You sure you had the avr set correctly to test the channels you connected?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I've bought a few things from them and always had a good experience.

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
From what I'm getting from people is when it goes smooth and the gear works everything is great but if u get some gear that's not working it's the customers fault and u should give this company money for free and not expect them to fix anything. Very poor customer service to almost criminal.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
From what I'm getting from people is when it goes smooth and the gear works everything is great but if u get some gear that's not working it's the customers fault and u should give this company money for free and not expect them to fix anything. Very poor customer service to almost criminal.
I haven't ever had an issue with them so I can't speak to their CS, hopefully it gets worked out. Denon, Marantz, and all their sister brands use accessories for less as their B stock, refurbished products, just an FYI.

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
I haven't ever had an issue with them so I can't speak to their CS, hopefully it gets worked out. Denon, Marantz, and all their sister brands use accessories for less as their B stock, refurbished products, just an FYI.
I'm with u on the hope hey really work on there customer service for future problems with customers but as for my friend this problem is over and he lost. What worries me is they said there just going to sell them to someone else. So I kind of feel like someone else is there going to have the same problem again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm with u on the hope hey really work on there customer service for future problems with customers but as for my friend this problem is over and he lost. What worries me is they said there just going to sell them to someone else. So I kind of feel like someone else is there going to have the same problem again.
So was it you or your friend that bought/interfaced with A4L? If they claim they work of course they would sell them to another customer....and I still haven't been convinced you or your friend knew what you were doing....

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
So was it you or your friend that bought/interfaced with A4L? If they claim they work of course they would sell them to another customer....and I still haven't been convinced you or your friend knew what you were doing....
Those centers are ridiculously overpriced....I'm not against 4 inch drivers in a center, I love my Q Acoustics Concept Centers.
But I got them at 100 bucks each vs a 500 each retail....I only use one of course and have another as a backup.

450 bucks vs a 800 dollar retail on those ?? They are more akin to a passive soundbar speaker by the looks of them. Even the cabinet looks cheap and cheesy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those centers are ridiculously overpriced....I'm not against 4 inch drivers in a center, I love my Q Acoustics Concept Centers.
But I got them at 100 bucks each vs a 500 each retail....I only use one of course and have another as a backup.

450 bucks vs a 800 dollar retail on those ?? They are more akin to a passive soundbar speaker by the looks of them. Even the cabinet looks cheap and cheesy.
Yeah would much prefer a single better center rather than two of these weakly skinny centers. The OP (or his "friend") might have benefitted from other solutions entirely as well....

Don't know what OPs overall issues on the front wall are but definitely would prefer better center (or even acoustically transparent screen with speakers behind)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So my friend id buy 2 refurb units he was ok with that. It was jeff who told me he sent out 2 new units. Neither worked was tested, He did not want to help until after 20 mins of a phone call. Get them back says they work and that there going to charge my friend for shipping and have a nice day. Very poor customer service. Shouldn't they have to prove these speakers work? Also in said phone call with jeff he claims you can't test speakers for ohms because there is a crossover. that is the biggest lie ever. So the speaker doesn't read ohm's work with a 9v battery or work with a anthem mrx540 avr. Do i need magic to make this things work? I'm not here to fight with people just letting our group know they may not be the best company to do business with. do at your own risk
You can not test all speakers with an ohmmeter or the battery test. Those speakers have very small drivers, that Deftech call midrange drivers. It does not mention bass drivers in the spec.

So, I have occasionally come across speakers that have a capacitor ahead of the main crossover to limit bass and prevent driver damage. If this is the case, then you can not do the battery test or use an ohm meter to test the speaker. However this will not stop the speaker working. This would not explain them not working with a functioning and properly set up receiver.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
So, I have occasionally come across speakers that have a capacitor ahead of the main crossover to limit bass and prevent driver damage. If this is the case, then you can not do the battery test or use an ohm meter to test the speaker. However this will not stop the speaker working. This would not explain them not working with a functioning and properly set up receiver.
This is why we couldn't use the battery method to trace down speaker issues in car systems where we had caps on the upper range drivers to cut bass...they maybe would give out one very faint pop, and that was it.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
The guy took them back and offered a refund..What more would you like him to do.

And your crying like a baby who's lost his Dummy.

Buy yourself a box of Tissues, and grow up..

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So i have been looking for the best spot to put this post. I feel that our community Needs to know this info. My friend ordered 2 def tech dm20 center channel speakers that he was going to use for this front atmos speakers above his 139 inch screen. I opened the boxes they claim were new speakers. Every thing looked correct So I ohms checked the speakers and found zero ohms, I did a 9v battery test no sound, hooked it up to his upstairs living room system that runs off a anthem mrx540 avr that runs all goldenear speakers.
i tested the upstairs system with goldenear center first removed center test dm20 no sound installed goldenear center back sound working fine from center. So now i tell my friend he needs to email accessories4less for a warranty. At this point i know its not normal to have 2 brand new speakers not working but that's what were dealing with at this point. So they email him back saying there's no chance of two speakers not working and that they don't want the speaker back. Also they put in the email u can't ohms check speakers because they have a crossover. I laughed at that one. So i called and told the manager of all the ways we tested them, He still did not want to warranty the speakers out. After talking on the phone for 20 mins he changed his mind about the warranty. He sent one label for two speakers so I taped both speakers together and sent them both back. He than tells me def tech is out of stock and they can't send my friend any warranty speakers and that it would be months of waiting. I called def tech and had them check stock levels they said stock levels look good they have some for the website and for dealers. I asked def tech if accessories4less was a legit dealer and they said yes. so i asked if they could help with this problem. They said no because its been less than 30 days and that accessories4less has to take care of this problem for now. So as all this is happening i could see how things were going so i found another dealer of def tech and had them check stock level and they said no problem with stock. So accessories4less got back the speakers and claim there working normal and that there refunding the money less restocking fee , shipping cost both ways. I still do not believe these speakers work, They never said there would be a shipping fee to send them back plus there charging him shipping to him the first time when there website list free shipping all over it.

Funny that there billing him for shipping product to him and to take the product back. Do not trust this company. Def tech Needs to really look at there dealers better. If i wasn't as huge of a fan of def tech I would have put them on blast also. My main goal here is to save other people the trouble and not to get taken like my friend did. Also we have now ordered the same speakers from another dealer. There was no shady crap from my friend here. He ordered some speakers and just wanted them to work. Also accessories4less lost 2 -3 more sales from my friend. He's building his pool house this year and he wants outside sound system plus a pool house sound system.
First, center channel speakers aren't Atmos speakers.
Second, did the meter showed Zero Ohms, or did the meter show OL? If it showed zero Ohms, you shouldn't have connected them to an amp. If it showed OL, it agrees with the comment about having a crossover- a multi-meter won't show resistance through a capacitor (Low pass filter) unless it's set to test a diode and even then, it will only show a number briefly. Test it with a battery again, with no noise, music or other sounds in the room- if you don't hear anything, remove the battery and touch the wires together- if you hear a quiet click sound, it means the speaker has a Low pass filter cap.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis