Buyer’s Remorse – Energy CF-50 >> Looking for Bigger Sound

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
But IS it identical?
If the same is chosen, then yes. Not all curves are offered with all brands (some are in fact proprietary like the Paul Barton designed curve for NAD). Then the matter of implementation comes into play as far as when you can even choose which curve per listening mode, per unit in question. But given that the target curve is the same, well, they are the same.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Marantz may (I mean did they), have FINALLY given us enough processing power in their current line so that we can actually do much simpler things like matrix for rears while having MultEQ applied (I'm not even talking about XT yet, which was only offered this generation as far as Marantz is concerned; I've had my Onkyo XT for a few years now, for $600), or a simple unzipping/decoding of TrueHD or DTS-MA while having MultEQ applied. You heard me right, for about the entire duration of my interest in AV, Marantz units could not even simply accept a bitstream and simultaneously apply the relatively long in the tooth vanilla MultEQ.
I am a little disappointed with the AV7005's XT when Denon and Onkyo current models have the XT32. Other than that I am finding the following differences between the Marantz and my Denon's MultEQXT:

Speed - The Marantz took less time to finish the calculations and storage, the Denon has two 32 bit DSPs while the Marantz has only one so I don't know why the Denon needs more time to do the calculations. In fact the Marantz is so limited in processing power such that it cannot overlay Audyssey on 192 kHz BR while decoding loseless codecs, yet it is much faster running Audyssey setup.

EQ check graphs - Marantz's column charts are much easier to decipher.

Dynamic EQ - I have no use for it, it makes boomy bass for sure.

Bass - The 7005 may have higher sub output, say by about 5 dB, but I did move the sub a little bit so it is hard to say.

Sound quality - Same difference between the two. Those who claim Marantz has a sound, warm vs Denon's, must have golden ears or more prone to placebo effect. Having said that, when I first turned it on for a minute or two I thought it did have a warmer sound but quickly realized Audyssey default has dynamic EQ turned on, and I was listening at a relatively low level at the time. I bought my Denon a few months before they offered dynamic EQ and dynamic volume. Fortunately I did not pay to download the upgrade. It would have been a total waste of money.

The MIC - Denon's is made of metal, nice and heavy, so it is easier to place on any sort of booms/sticks and it can balanced itself very well. The Marantz one is made of plastic, very cheap looking and is feather light. I have to tape it on so it does not fall off the support (a flash light).

That's all I have to say about their Audyssey implementation for now.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
PENG, thanks so much for your take. So, did I just forget, or just completely miss, that you got a 4311?!? I must have forgotten (and probably for good reason, I hope I forget again very soon). :p Anyways, if you have more impressions to share in the future, you know that I'd be be very appreciative if you shared with me, whether by PM or otherwise.

And also thanks for helping us get this thread back on track. Your link says "4 way speaker" and I was thinking huh, so I google, and interestingly I find a video by the director of engineering, something I've never quite seen before, even though it's really not scientific at all. So, yeah it's a 3 way. The video is rather annoying IMO, (what is the term, "fade" perhaps) as hmmm I don't know how to describe it, uncomfortable. They should reel in the excessive editing, and just do it straight ahead style, a la Parts Express, IMO.

edit: I would pay at least a couple of bucks to have seen the quizzical look on your face, when it "dawned" on you that all the Marantz people saying that their products were warmer was a true fact, hahahah.

Those who claim Marantz has a sound, warm vs Denon's, must have golden ears or more prone to placebo effect. Having said that, when I first turned it on for a minute or two I thought it did have a warmer sound but quickly realized Audyssey default has dynamic EQ turned on, and I was listening at a relatively low level at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tom67

Full Audioholic
the fat guy has me sold....ribbed surrounds like a fine condom....real wood and half the price of Paradigms......

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Energy fan boys and the OP please pay attention to this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/energy-reference-connoisseur-4-way-tower-speaker-rc-70-black-single/10087359.aspx?path=f7dedabbf3611064a3ccb58d61300715en02

These speakers sound great, much better than the Paradigm Studio 100(in my opinion only), for less than half the price. If not for WAF I would have grabbed a pair for my 2 channel system and sell my P362 (brand new condition) to billy p.:D
Hah..hah....:p. You know...I haven't given them much thought but I'm contemplating your previous advice regarding speakers and I might venture into the next realm of audio speaker....just not B&W's....:D.

Much like the OP..is looking to do....:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
And also thanks for helping us get this thread back on track. Your link says "4 way speaker" and I was thinking huh, so I google, and interestingly I find a video by the director of engineering, something I've never quite seen before, even though it's really not scientific at all. So, yeah it's a 3 way. The video is rather annoying IMO, (what is the term, "fade" perhaps) as hmmm I don't know how to describe it, uncomfortable. They should reel in the excessive editing, and just do it straight ahead style, a la Parts Express, IMO.
The guy probably is a real engineer, not an actor. I guess they could have hired a professional to do it but then they are not Bose.:D Seriously though I A/B'ed them a few times (uncontrolled) with the big Polks, Klipsch and Martin Logans at the FS. I have no doubt the RC70 won by miles. Unlike amps, the SQ differences between those speakers are significant enough you don't need a controlled test session to tell which one sounds the best subjectively, I mean. Since the OP seems to like the sound of the C series but wanted something better, the RC70 is at least one viable option for him given that the clearance price is now below 1K per pair.

Regarding the off topic stuff, I will gladly post something in the appropriate thread, if I can find it. I intend to spend more time AB'ing the two (while I still have the Denon) this weekend. By the way, it was the 4308 I compared the 7005 with.

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
The guy probably is a real engineer, not an actor. I guess they could have hired a professional to do it but then they are not Bose.:D Seriously though I A/B'ed them a few times (uncontrolled) with the big Polks, Klipsch and Martin Logans at the FS. I have no doubt the RC70 won by miles. Unlike amps, the SQ differences between those speakers are significant enough you don't need a controlled test session to tell which one sounds the best subjectively, I mean. Since the OP seems to like the sound of the C series but wanted something better, the RC70 is at least one viable option for him given that the clearance price is now below 1K per pair.

Regarding the off topic stuff, I will gladly post something in the appropriate thread, if I can find it. I intend to spend more time AB'ing the two (while I still have the Denon) this weekend. By the way, it was the 4308 I compared the 7005 with.
He was the cheif designer behind the Athena brand label. Although they all colaborated each team over at API had tall had their own objectives and goals. Hence why he looked as if was reading from a script.:)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The guy probably is a real engineer, not an actor. I guess they could have hired a professional to do it but then they are not Bose.:D
Oh, I'm glad they had a real engineer, and I like videos in general, as they are more engaging than a photo + a blurb. My complaint was about the over the top, incessant video editing.

Oh, sorry about misreading that. Maybe it was my wishful thinking on your part.

BTW, my Onkyo 805 sometimes takes quite a while to calculate, and it has three DSP chips.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis