Buy Rythmik from Brian or Ascend?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am finally ready to buy some "real" subs! I'm not sure if I'll gain much or not because I really don't challenge my SB12Plus's output capabilities and listen primarily to music which does not challenge the extension. I decided a couple of years ago to upgrade to Rythmik, and since then, no new products have struck me as game changers on that count.

Wondering whether to order direct from Brian/Rythmik or go through Ascend.

I think Ascend would be better for processing order and tracking and can save about $20 (glitch on Brian's site? Not getting the full 10% discount for buying a pair), but I'd rather talk to Brian for Tech Support if I have setup issues.

Also, the page for the D15SE has near the bottom:
"The feet are sold separately." Hunh???

Does anyone here have any insights to offer?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I ordered my Rythmik directly and both Brian and Enrico provided me with excellent service. If you encounter something strange with their web page, email them and they WILL get back to you.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks! Brian it is!
Still waffling between f15hp and e15.
E15 would give me peace of mind for not wondering if I needed more (well, within reason :)). and it has the upgraded driver.
But I like the monolithic look of the d15.
Not a bad dilemma to be in, so I'll savor/wallow in it for awhile!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Gloss black F15HP. Go all the way in. There really isn't any reason to go for the e15 over the F15HP unless you just want to save a few dollars.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
About a 1 db difference between the two. Both subs were clearly on my radar with the F15HP my 1st preference. I would also concur that buying from Rythmik would make more sense...Dave offers Rythmik subs as a service to any potential Ascend customers...I know he feels strongly about Mr. Dings products!

Both units have being measured using the same metrics>

Attachments

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the chart! I had not discovered it yet.

Actually I just pulled the trigger before your post.

I mispoke earlier, I was waffling between the D15SE and the E15HP.

I had a couple of SUB-1200's in my listening room while setting up a system for my girlfriend (I don't think I'll tell her my subs cost 10 times what the ones I gave her cost) and at 4913 cubic inches (17" cube) they seemed pretty massive!
The E15 is 6137 cu. in. (17X19X19) or 25% bigger than a SUB-1200 and the F15 is 7220 cu.in. (19X19X20) which is 47% bigger than a SUB-1200.

Besides, if Josh Ricci says the SVS SB13-Ultra is the best SVS sub for music and Jim (Jman) bought both and liked the E15 better than the SB13-Ultra (and I like accurate over warm sound), It should do me good. I'll be pairing these with my Focal Solo6Be's which are the most accurate speakers I have heard!

So this thread has officially reached shameless gloat status at this point:D:

We have received the following order. Thanks for shopping at Rythmik Audio.

Date : 18 Nov 2014 - 20:07
Order ID : XXXXXXX

Payment by Card

Product : Quantity : Price
E15 black matte with H600PEQ3 amplifier and black cone : 2 : 1057.00

Subtotal : 2114.00
Shipping : 198.00
TOTAL : 2312.00
I am glad Brian offers the Matte Black. I think that was a spin off from the Ascend partnership (matching one of Ascends popular finishes). Used to be Black Oak and Honey Oak were the only two.

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Nice...I know several @ the Ascend forum who own this sub. I did read Jim's review and agreed on several of his points regarding the SB13U so I have to assume the E15 is one fine sub.

Be sure to post your impressions...:)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am a happy owner of an F15HP.

When I purchased mine, I had a chance to speak with Brian about subs and speakers. FWIW, Brian uses Ascend speakers himself, for his HT.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Besides, if Josh Ricci says the SVS SB13-Ultra is the best SVS sub for music and Jim (Jman) bought both and liked the E15 better than the SB13-Ultra (and I like accurate over warm sound), It should do me good. I'll be pairing these with my Focal Solo6Be's which are the most accurate speakers I have heard!
Congrats on your new toys! Given that precision is one of your overriding concerns I suspect you'll be quite pleased with the E15HP's. One tip though... if you plan on running any type of room correction software be sure to set the amp as follows: Volume at the noon position, PEQ disabled, Phase 0, Crossover 120, AVR/12, Rumble Filter off, 14Hz and High damping. That config is the 'purest' one you can have, so when you start making adjustments you'll have the best baseline to work from.

If you plan on watching TV and/or movies you may want to consider putting the Rumble Filter back on and maybe use Mid (or even Hi) damping. That makes the sound a bit fuller, along with adding a touch more bite. If this setup will be used strictly for music then consider flipping the Freq switch to 20Hz, because realistically there will be little to no content below that. You could turn off the Rumble Filter then, because that option only really helps when dealing with sub-20Hz output.

L

laulau

Enthusiast
For his sealed subs (e.g. E15HP), Brian Ding recommends using the Mid damping setting when running Room EQ software. That said, IMO there are no absolute rules and the listener should use the settings that works best for them.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the chart! I had not discovered it yet.

Actually I just pulled the trigger before your post.

I mispoke earlier, I was waffling between the D15SE and the E15HP.

I had a couple of SUB-1200's in my listening room while setting up a system for my girlfriend (I don't think I'll tell her my subs cost 10 times what the ones I gave her cost) and at 4913 cubic inches (17" cube) they seemed pretty massive!
The E15 is 6137 cu. in. (17X19X19) or 25% bigger than a SUB-1200 and the F15 is 7220 cu.in. (19X19X20) which is 47% bigger than a SUB-1200.

So this thread has officially reached shameless gloat status at this point:D:

I am glad Brian offers the Matte Black. I think that was a spin off from the Ascend partnership (matching one of Ascends popular finishes). Used to be Black Oak and Honey Oak were the only two.
Congrats Kew on your new sub. It will bring you many a smiles as it plays nimbly on with music and kicks you in the gut during loud movie passages. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Don't forget the pics including the ceremonial unpacking :)
You know it!
I'll put that in the owner's thread.
Wish I'd ordered them 2 weeks ago! As is, they may sit in the box until after T'giving.
Nah, I couldn't abide by that, but I won't get the chance to properly listen to them until after T'giving travel, etc.

E

Eugene

Audiophyte
Adding a note to this old thread. I ordered 2xF12 and decided to go with Ascend Acoustics because I was getting 5% bigger discount for buying two subs and because I wanted to reward the nice WEB site with my money. Folks at Rythmik assured me that returns and support will be the same no matter I bought directly or through Ascend Acoustics.

However, when based on my measurements I decided to return 2xF12 and get a bigger single sub, I realized that I am out extra $132 because shipping (non refundable, of course) is a part of Ascend Acoustics' total price while the same price at Rythmik has free shipping. Those $132 increased my loss almost 3x given I was able to use my company's FedEx account and ship the F12s back cheaply.

So, if you are not sure you are going to keep Rythmik subs it is best to buy directly from Rythmik.

Anyway, Rythmik proved to blend excellently with my many times more expensive main speakers and exceeded my expectations. I am awaiting my new F18 (sealed, not yet searchable on Rythmik WEB site but can be ordered by contacting Brian or Enrico) tomorrow. Can't wait.

Cheers!

E

elf1

Enthusiast
I am testing Rythmik L12's with Magnepan 1.6 speakers. I chose Rythmik after reading reviews of their ability to blend with my speakers and the attractive price. The folks there were very helpful with explaining how to setup my subs. I understand that I can order their subs in any color - as long as it is black. Wish they offered them in white like SVS as my Maggie's are white. Need to keep wife happy.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am testing Rythmik L12's with Magnepan 1.6 speakers. I chose Rythmik after reading reviews of their ability to blend with my speakers and the attractive price. The folks there were very helpful with explaining how to setup my subs. I understand that I can order their subs in any color - as long as it is black. Wish they offered them in white like SVS as my Maggie's are white. Need to keep wife happy.
I'm pretty sure Salk will build you a Rythmik sub in any cabinet finish that you desire.

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Rythmik+12+Subwoofer

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis