K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Hello All,

One of my subs started smelling like smoke and the AMP was making a crackling noise. I had 90 degree brass connectors on it and the RCAs are very close together (was running a Y cable so had both filled). I don't know if the AMP is bad and a danger or if the two wires got too close or the 90 degree metal connectors touched (though they didn't seem to be touching but not sure, etc. So I took out the Y cable just using one normal RCA. It's working fine. I'm monitoring it closely. If it happens again i'm done with it.

Question is that normally something that would only happen if wires touch, etc? I would think if the AMP was bad it would be gone and done but it seems fine so I'm confused. Plus there is a fuse and it never blew.

Any advice is welcome.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Unlikely it had anything to do with the RCA input connectors because electrically they were already "touching" inside the Y-connector.
I assume the use of the Y-connector was not something new.

The prudent thing to do is to open and visually inspect the amp if you are technically capable and comfortable with doing so.
- If not, then take it to a repair person/shop that is.

Just using it and hoping for the best is playing with a potential house fire, very poor choice IMHO. Murphy is still alive and well and loves sub amps!

Best of luck,
XEagleDriver

Hello All,

One of my subs started smelling like smoke and the AMP was making a crackling noise. I had 90 degree brass connectors on it and the RCAs are very close together (was running a Y cable so had both filled). I don't know if the AMP is bad and a danger or if the two wires got too close or the 90 degree metal connectors touched (though they didn't seem to be touching but not sure, etc. So I took out the Y cable just using one normal RCA. It's working fine. I'm monitoring it closely. If it happens again i'm done with it.

Question is that normally something that would only happen if wires touch, etc? I would think if the AMP was bad it would be gone and done but it seems fine so I'm confused. Plus there is a fuse and it never blew.

Any advice is welcome.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Unlikely it had anything to do with the RCA input connectors because electrically they were already "touching" inside the Y-connector.
I assume the use of the Y-connector was not something new.

The prudent thing to do is to open and visually inspect the amp if you are technically capable and comfortable with doing so.
- If not, then take it to a repair person/shop that is.

Just using it and hoping for the best is playing with a potential house fire, very poor choice IMHO. Murphy is still alive and well and loves sub amps!

Best of luck,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks, we never really saw any sparks actually but just a burning smell and it sounded like it was crackling a little bit. So I agree I need to see what's up with it. Hadn't done this before and isn't doing it now so not sure.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd more suspect the amp itself than the connectors altho it sounds like perhaps you've gone overboard in that respect but depends on specific gear involved.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Could it have been over driven by chance? What's really wierd is it works perfectly well now with no sign of smell or anything like that. So just not sure

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to know what you did. If its fine now, just don't push it to the extreme you did before? Could just be stuff evaporating under higher heat? More specifics might help...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis