Built the Statements! Never have I heard better speakers!

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Didn't you build the 1099's? They would still be loafing at volumes where your statements would be going to pieces. Keep flogging them at triple digit spl and they probably will fail.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
If you're interested in SPL, go find some PA speakers. I'm curious why you're measuring the performance of those speakers in "loudness" when they have so much more to offer? What are some of your other impressions?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you're interested in SPL, go find some PA speakers. I'm curious why you're measuring the performance of those speakers in "loudness" when they have so much more to offer? What are some of your other impressions?
I noticed the emphasis on spl too... I like it loud sometimes but I don't need my ears to bleed every time I listen to music. Sound quality is what I'm after first.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I noticed the emphasis on spl too... I like it loud sometimes but I don't need my ears to bleed every time I listen to music. Sound quality is what I'm after first.
No doubt. I'm the same way. I just found it odd that the primary comparison to the Focal device was one of which could go louder. I guess I could be wrong, but was that one of Jim's/Curt's(?) primary design goals? Highly doubt it- I also don't think Focal was after the Cerwin Vega market.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do tend to remember OP from various posts likes it loud...very loud.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
For some reason i want to say 1 meter from the speaker. Because 96.3db was super loud at my seating position and I think it was 103db 1 meter from one of the speakers. I cant imagine even wanting to listen at 100db at the main seating position. That would be asking for problems. Yes I love loud music but will not listen at a level that will hurt my hearing.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I think for 120,000$ for the speakers and another 160,000$ for the amps that the midrange wouldnt crackle until it was extremely loud and it really wasnt all that loud when it crackled. I thought it was ridiculous!

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Oh and adwilk... the Statements are leaps and bounds ahead of anything Cerwin Vega!

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
When someone says their speakers can hit 110db do they mean at the main seating position or 1 meter from the speaker?
Manufacturers rate their speakers's loudness abiliy in terms of its 'sensitivity'. Its a certain SPL(say 93dB) , output measured at 1m distance from speaker, when its fed 1w power input or 2.83v voltage input (at 8 ohms).

But as a listener, you measure the SPL at your main listening position and thats what usually people refer to, when they say they hit 100dB etc.

So it depends on the pov ;-)

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
So the linear distance then is the main key. In a very large room with little to no boundary reinforcement you would lose 6dB with every doubling of distance. In a smaller room with boundary reinforcement, it would be -3dB for every doubling of distance.
(Any corrections to that would be welcome!) :)
Not a correction, adding the math behind the SPL loss with distance. (ie you're right :))

SPL(Delta) = 20 * Log10(Distance 1 fom Speaker / Distance 2 from Speaker) in an open field (ie no boundary reinforcement)

eg)
A speaker with sensitivity of 90dB (ie measured at 1m from Speaker with 1w power input)
At 2m (ie 1m from reference(1m) doubling the distance) , there is a SPL drop of ~6dB:
20 * Log10(2m / 1m) = 6.02 [ ie SPL of 84 dB at 2m ]
At 3m , there is a drop of ~9dB : 20 * Log10(3m / 1m) = 9.54
At 4m , there is a drop of ~12dB : 20 * Log10(3m / 1m) = 12.04
so on..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis