Building Your First DIY Speaker - The MB27

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Now that I think about it, one person who stayed on point was Pete Basal of the CT Audio Society. He didn't change seats and paid attention the whole time. He seemed to know about MurphyBaster Productions. Anyway he said, "The builder wanted them here?" after I informed everybody that "the MB27s are a Dennis Murphy design built by (your name) and he (you) wanted them here, so they're here ... and here they are". :)

I was good just bringing cherry pie. :D

The group had spectators, builders and designers. Owning a built design puts me squarely in the category of the guy in the know about pie. But I have something special for you in a PM ... not like the special thing you sent me in a PM. I meant to say that that was disgusting. What is wrong with you? :D
Thanks for the PM. Alex had asked another guy at the DIY GTG for his thoughts and comments about the MB27s. Unfortunately he hadn't listened closely to them and couldn't really say anything. (It can be very hard to pay close attention to all the speakers all afternoon.) But I appreciate it anyway.

The real reason I wanted you to bring the speakers (besides stroking my ego) was to give you the experience exposing your baby to comments of the DIY peanut gallery. It can be hard to get their attention during such a busy afternoon, but if just one person hears them an likes them, it can be worth the effort. You don't have to be an independent speaker designer to belong at one of these GTGs. The build creativity and quality you put into those subwoofers qualifies you to be at such a gathering. As you can imagine, there is a simple but very good reason why people bring normal speakers, and not subwoofers to these GTGs :D.

Did they eat the pie?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I hadn't considered that I might need anything to qualify me to attend a DIY meet. I'm like DIY by virtue of not having an education. It's my profession. You guys are just hobbyists. :D

The first pie got eaten up pretty good. I was able to get the host and hostess to accept the second one. They have kids that need all the sugar they can get. I just didn't need to bring that home with me. Yeah, it's like that.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
This just in from the host and very talented designer:

Dennis Murphy thingies. I really enjoyed the tonal balance and the Seas 27TFFC was quote the surprise in terms of performance. Good implementation of a small bookshelf design.
I think he meant to say quite instead of quote. I've heard probably 4 of his original designs. I carried one of them up some stairs and immediately wished that I had stayed home that day. You know you have the disease when there are raw MDF floorstanders in your living room.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You know you have the disease when there are raw MDF floorstanders in your living room.
What about two raw MDF subs, 6 pairs of speakers, and raw drivers and baffle pieces scattered about your living room?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
What about two raw MDF subs, 6 pairs of speakers, and raw drivers and baffle pieces scattered about your living room?
In that case you need to sell some of that stuff for not much money to someone you look up to. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You know you have the disease when there are raw MDF floorstanders in your living room.
Maybe you don't remember everything you saw when you were at Dennis Murphy's house last year. His living room, where we spent most of our time was full of finished speakers. His SongTowers (the originals) were in the kitchen. I'm pretty sure you also saw his downstairs rooms, his theater with the big projector screen and various big speakers, and his test lab with the acoustic test rig and shelves and boxes full of drivers, caps, coils, resistors and wire.

I don't think you saw the speaker cabinet grave yard in the unfinished part of his basement :eek:.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sadly...kinda, yeah. :eek: :D
So, while I was tipsy enough to ask for it, I was too scared to open it last night. I opened it this morning...sober. Honestly, I never scrolled down - but I'm pretty sure that I know what I was going to see. And, with Alex's description that it made him scream (and I'm assuming in a bad way...but you never know :D), I'm just going to lock that away in my mind and hope no one finds the key.

I say that like I deleted the PM...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So, while I was tipsy enough to ask for it, I was too scared to open it last night. I opened it this morning...sober. Honestly, I never scrolled down - but I'm pretty sure that I know what I was going to see. And, with Alex's description that it made him scream (and I'm assuming in a bad way...but you never know :D), I'm just going to lock that away in my mind and hope no one finds the key.

I say that like I deleted the PM...
That was a privileged communication :cool:.

Alex started it by suggesting that the woman, who had originally posted the photos of her SongCenter mounted directly on the wall by an invisible method, might be hot. I had to tweak him for that ;).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis